British Speedway Forum

I'm with Najer on this. I did not attend this year because of the drop in divisions, loss of JD and increase in admission. Can't square the circle. Doubt much will change next year. Whatever you think of Rosco he has got to be right in that he should not be asked to break up his Swindon team just because they are getting better, year on year. This should apply everywhere, Championship as well. Nominal points limits are one of the things killing speedway. Let free enterprise prevail.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Najjer said:

My opinion is based on having watched my team compete in all 3 tiers of British Speedway for 19 years. Without doubt the best place to be was in the top tier. I chose not to attend last year for various reasons and depending on the news on Friday and beyond, looks very likely it'll be the same reasons to keep me away next season too.

Crikey Somerset were only in the top tier for 2 seasons weren't they? And almost bankrupted themselves in so doing!!

4 hours ago, bill94d said:

I'm with Najer on this. I did not attend this year because of the drop in divisions, loss of JD and increase in admission. Can't square the circle. Doubt much will change next year. Whatever you think of Rosco he has got to be right in that he should not be asked to break up his Swindon team just because they are getting better, year on year. This should apply everywhere, Championship as well. Nominal points limits are one of the things killing speedway. Let free enterprise prevail.

That's all very well, but top guys want big money, signing on fees, vans etc, with crowds that British Speedway are getting where is the money coming from, most of the riders ride in both leagues anyway, (not Doyle of course), so if Somerset  go for the top riders and pay big money, would that make you attend?  if so you may enjoy it for the season, as after that the club would probably go bust.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Buttons said:

That's all very well, but top guys want big money, signing on fees, vans etc, with crowds that British Speedway are getting where is the money coming from, most of the riders ride in both leagues anyway, (not Doyle of course), so if Somerset  go for the top riders and pay big money, would that make you attend?  if so you may enjoy it for the season, as after that the club would probably go bust.

Is that the official Poole view?  :)

2 hours ago, Buttons said:

The thing is, in this day and age people are not happy to settle for “that’ll do”. I personally want to watch the best. I would pay good money to watch Doyle, Holder etc ripping up the Oak Tree. But I won’t pay good money for as is likely an even further watered down 2nd tier that is topped up with yet more National League riders who can’t cut it and out of their depth.

53 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Is that the official Poole view?  :)

You clearly haven't read Garry May's comments in the Star!!

9 minutes ago, Najjer said:

The thing is, in this day and age people are not happy to settle for “that’ll do”. I personally want to watch the best. I would pay good money to watch Doyle, Holder etc ripping up the Oak Tree. But I won’t pay good money for as is likely an even further watered down 2nd tier that is topped up with yet more National League riders who can’t cut it and out of their depth.

As a matter of interest Where would you suggest those NL riders who want to improve progress to?

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

You clearly haven't read Garry May's comments in the Star!!

No. What did he say?

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

As a matter of interest Where would you suggest those NL riders who want to improve progress to?

They should attain 7 point NL averages as a minimum before going into the CL. Henry Atkins wasn’t ready.

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

No. What did he say?

That 2 seasons in the Premiership almost bankrupted the club. You should try reading the Star - there's lots of factual info in there.

Edited by Skidder1

Did I read on here that Somerset dropped down and then increased their admission prices? 

17 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Did I read on here that Somerset dropped down and then increased their admission prices? 

I saw that too but that was incorrect. 2018 admission was £17 in Div1 and 2019 admission was £16 in Div2.

A £1 reduction from seeing the likes of Doyle, Holder and Wright on a weekly basis to Atkins and Grobauer.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

I'd suggest they earn their position on merit, not just to fill a certain quota of riders per team and because they have a certain average that fits.

It is blatently obvious in recent years riders have been rushed through the system far too quickly as a cost saving measure. They don't perform, they get the sack and the team signs another rider and the story goes on and on. The rider whose been scoring next to nothing confidence is shot to pieces and they take a break from the sport. As long as it keeps cutting costs and watering the product down further whilst admission prices continue to rise (pro rata to the standard on offer) then that is absolutely fine apparently.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2019 at 7:59 PM, Bagpuss said:

They increased the admission price for OAPs by £1 by removing their previously existing concession.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Najjer said:

I'd suggest they earn their position on merit, not just to fill a certain quota of riders per team and because they have a certain average that fits.

It is blatently obvious in recent years riders have been rushed through the system far too quickly as a cost saving measure. They don't perform, they get the sack and the team signs another rider and the story goes on and on. The rider whose been scoring next to nothing confidence is shot to pieces and they take a break from the sport. As long as it keeps cutting costs and watering the product down further whilst admission prices continue to rise (pro rata to the standard on offer) then that is absolutely fine apparently.

The cost cutting doesn't work, as signing new riders mid season mean extra cost to meet the new riders demands & teams have already paid out once. The management do not realise fans & sponsors have an alliance with their team members, constantly chopping & changing riders = lost fans & sponsors (simples).  

• Like 2