British Speedway Forum

17 hours ago, DC2 said:

Zach Cook, Kennedy or MacDonald on a 4 or Hume and Kinsley on 3-ish?

Hume should certainly be taken under someone’s wing.

Connor Mountain did well in his first CL season and he has no club at present

9 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Hume has just finished his first serious injury free season of his career, so no where near his potential.

Watched Danyon in nearly all his meetings and has defo cut out the desperate lunges and mad moments to pass witch has cost him injuries in previous years and now uses him head more to pass he has had adam roynon in the pits working with him and he is a totally different rider now he will get even better . I think the likes of him and connor mountain both deserve a place next year 

• Like 6

On 12/4/2019 at 12:00 PM, Najjer said:

This “use it or lose it” saying that I keep reading on here and other speedway circles is a very dangerous game. How about making it more appealing for fans to attend instead of threatening closure if you don’t? 

USE IT OR LOSE IT.

I'm not management, but have been involved in speedway for 55 years & yes I do think we all need to be more positive toward our chosen sport. But without crowds that balance the books the facts is our sport can not survive, as we know it. 

The sport needs an independent group that can think outside the box & be able to implement their ideals. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CountyGround said:

USE IT OR LOSE IT.

I'm not management, but have been involved in speedway for 55 years & yes I do think we all need to be more positive toward our chosen sport. But without crowds that balance the books the facts is our sport can not survive, as we know it. 

The sport needs an independent group that can think outside the box & be able to implement their ideals. 

Lose what - I’m now in the ever growing group that has already lost it. I loved speedway and still enjoy it but stopped attending when we dropped down a league and I felt I was no longer getting value for money.

I’m one of many - forget use it or lose it, what has been done to entice me back and spend £20 every week at speedway and not somewhere else?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Lose what - I’m now in the ever growing group that has already lost it. I loved speedway and still enjoy it but stopped attending when we dropped down a league and I felt I was no longer getting value for money.

I’m one of many - forget use it or lose it, what has been done to entice me back and spend £20 every week at speedway and not somewhere else?

If you REALLY loved speedway, you’d still be going. Don’t think you can be a true fan of the sport in my opinion. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

I really do not understand the logic here.  You stopped going because your club  ( is that Somerset ?) dropped down a league which you

considered less value.  All the leagues, from NL upwards can provide exciting racing.  You do not have to have World class riders to provide

good entertainment. When Lakeside closed, I switched my viewing to Kent in the NL and they have entertained me every week just as much

as Lakeside ever did.  My suggestion to you is to stop being a Premiership snob and just enjoy what is on offer.

This argument about top tier is irrelevant. We don't have top tier racing in this country. Even Sweden doesn't have it now. One country has top tier and thats poland.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

If you REALLY loved speedway, you’d still be going. Don’t think you can be a true fan of the sport in my opinion. 

That is exactly right, I don’t anymore and that is why I didn’t attend all of last season - as I felt I no longer got value for money. Years ago I used to follow Somerset home and away, travelled to places ranging from the IOW to Edinburgh.

I actually think the Somerset promotion is one of the best in the country, but that also underlined how bad some of the others are. This is not just Somerset related but a generic comment, what are promotions doing to encourage people to attend other than relying on force of habit?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Najjer said:

That is exactly right, I don’t anymore and that is why I didn’t attend all of last season - as I felt I no longer got value for money. Years ago I used to follow Somerset home and away, travelled to places ranging from the IOW to Edinburgh.

I actually think the Somerset promotion is one of the best in the country, but that also underlined how bad some of the others are. This is not just Somerset related but a generic comment, what are promotions doing to encourage people to attend other than relying on force of habit?

This is spot on. Speedway in general in this country takes its punters for granted and doesn’t do enough to keep them coming back or get new ones through the door. If you keep decreasing the standard and increasing the price it’s only going to end one way unfortunately. 

• Like 5

You can’t rely on the slogan ‘use it or lose it’ to help your club. Just look at how many fans have walked away or hardly go and how many clubs have closed because they couldn’t attract enough through the gate. You need more than a campaign of trying to make people feel guilty in order to survive. Quite frankly a lot of clubs don’t have anything other than that though

• Like 2

13 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Hume has just finished his first serious injury free season of his career, so no where near his potential.

At times in certain meeting's this year Hume has looked quicker than Perks and I have seen alot  of Perks at Swindon.This year Danyon has  come  through unscathed injury wise and is now a true no 1 at national league level.There are a few riders i could name who have Championship places who are not as good as Hume and Stoneman is one of them..I like Nathan but Hume is a better rider and it will be interesting to see how thing's pan out.

• Like 1

use it or lose it !  i worked for a large car/van and truck rental company  . we had a recovery flatbed truck for the garage workshop . we were told to use it or lose it . we used it as often as we could . then it came to light that we were costing the company money because we were using it too much . so lose it or lose it costs money either way ! i do believe it was sold off .   :angry:

17 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

At times in certain meeting's this year Hume has looked quicker than Perks and I have seen alot  of Perks at Swindon.This year Danyon has  come  through unscathed injury wise and is now a true no 1 at national league level.There are a few riders i could name who have Championship places who are not as good as Hume and Stoneman is one of them..I like Nathan but Hume is a better rider and it will be interesting to see how thing's pan out.

Nathan Stoneman comes into the Rebels team on a 2 point average, he also ticks many other boxes to be selected for the 2020 line-up. 

What is Danyon Humes championship average? Where does he live, if he is the talent you say then I wish him well in getting a CL team spot.

The Rebels management have chosen their 2020 line-up (I'm 100% sure the 1 to 7 was not Gazzas first choice) but it's with-in the budget & should provide plenty of on track excitement.

Somerset can not be held reasonable for every rider without a 2020 team place as a race track I would think it would be every CL riders first choice anyway! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CountyGround said:

USE IT OR LOSE IT.

Perhaps the books don’t balance because the riders demand too much in the way of wages.

Speedway is dirt track racing, it shouldn’t be considered a professional sport if the crowds coming through the door can’t support just that.

Most sportsmen practice their chosen discipline as a hobby until such a time as they reach a standard where their skill merits that they are paid to do it as a full time job. It strikes me that Speedway riders expect a living from the sport and the promoters are happy to go along with it to the detriment of the fans (doubling up being a salient point here). 

There will always be enough riders about, there won’t always be fans of the current trend of putting prices up and lowering standards continues. 

I’m sure Najjer would go to watch NL standard racing if the entrance fee represented the standard of racing on offer. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Perhaps the books don’t balance because the riders demand too much in the way of wages.

Speedway is dirt track racing, it shouldn’t be considered a professional sport if the crowds coming through the door can’t support just that.

Most sportsmen practice their chosen discipline as a hobby until such a time as they reach a standard where their skill merits that they are paid to do it as a full time job. It strikes me that Speedway riders expect a living from the sport and the promoters are happy to go along with it to the detriment of the fans (doubling up being a salient point here). 

There will always be enough riders about, there won’t always be fans of the current trend of putting prices up and lowering standards continues. 

I’m sure Najjer would go to watch NL standard racing if the entrance fee represented the standard of racing on offer. 

Agree with your thoughts.