British Speedway Forum

8 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Hardly: £150 for a round of golf? £40 (cheap seats) for a football match? Speedway is dirt cheap.

Wow! Where do you play golf or watch football?

I pay £15 a round of golf and £18 to watch national league standard football ( yes, in the seats).

Speedway is not ' dirt cheap ' for 15 minutes of racing but, depending on which track you watch at, it can still be value for money. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Berwick, in the Championship,  last season, including a programme (this year it seems without) worked out at less than £13 a meeting for season ticket holders. They try and reach out as much as possible to families. Lots of people of minimum wage in the area. 

Season ticket + cost of programme still works out at £15-45 per meeting which is still good value.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

In london last weekend went to see ticket prices for a show was quoted £192 so speedway is good value .

But would you want to pay £192 to see Speedway in some of the shabby stadiums that are currently used in the UK  ?

There is a market for Speedway tickets at those prices,   but only for World championship GPs 

10 minutes ago, djr said:

But would you want to pay £192 to see Speedway in some of the shabby stadiums that are currently used in the UK  ?

There is a market for Speedway tickets at those prices,   but only for World championship GPs 

I wouldnt pay that to watch a GP unless i got a royal box far away from the people who like to get up walk infront of u every 5 mins to go to bar or whatever, watch on tv with sound off for me .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, djr said:

Indeed, in stadia with pleasant toilets, decent refreshments and pothole free car parks. Not many of those around in the UK unfortunately. Those things should be basics nowadays. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ben91 said:

There are umpteen other forms of entertainment that offer better value for money. 

I don’t want other forms of entertainment in place of my love for speedway thanks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, *JJ said:

Hardly: £150 for a round of golf? £40 (cheap seats) for a football match? Speedway is dirt cheap.

The fan experience at speedway, facilities etc. is comparable to non-league football which doesn’t cost £40 to watch. Even at your price of £40 that makes a minute of football cost just under 45p. If we say a speedway heat is one minute long (they’re usually less than that) then at the £16 Somerset were charging last year equates to over £1 a minute. Speedway is not dirt cheap. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

I don’t want other forms of entertainment in place of my love for speedway thanks. 

Nobody is saying you have to have another form of entertainment but plenty of other fans of the sport are looking elsewhere for their entertainment because they are fed up of the way the sport is governed and “promoted.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Indeed, in stadia with pleasant toilets, decent refreshments and pothole free car parks. Not many of those around in the UK unfortunately. Those things should be basics nowadays. 

Try Berwick.  I think they tick your boxes. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Try Berwick.  I think they tick your boxes. 

Bit far for me :D

But the point is that needs to be a minimum requirement for every track. Diehards won’t care but if you want new people to come and keep coming then they will need and want nice facilities. 

2 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Nobody is saying you have to have another form of entertainment but plenty of other fans of the sport are looking elsewhere for their entertainment because they are fed up of the way the sport is governed and “promoted.”

The conversation started with someone saying they loved their speedway but don’t attend any more because they thought it was no longer value for money. All I was meaning was,  if they “loved” their speedway (as much as I do) they’d still be going regardless. Now, if they can no longer afford it, that’s a different story. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ragdoll64 said:

All I asked for was your solution to the problems?...... and stated that walking away, like some people who claim to love the sport are doing, isn’t going to fix it. 

Yes, you said should we all just step up and walk away, and I answered that. If you enjoy the sport in its current state then that's great.

If you don't, then don't go. No one should feel pressured into paying into a sport just because people want to try and scaremonger. 

It's really simple if you read my reply :-)

• Confused 1

Easter Holiday fixtures........ If we can get Poole great! BUT NOT if riders are missing because of double up/down or overseas.

League fixtures, there should be a limit on missing riders. If say 3? riders are known to be unavailable then alternative dates should be arranged. 

P.S. that's 3 riders total not per team, the sport needs credibility.