British Speedway Forum

I was anticipating that we'd make 2 changes because I couldn't see who we could sign to make the most of the points available. I get some of the comments about Luke Becker not having experience of the Championship tracks and the possibility that he may struggle to maintain his average through the season, but overall I think this is an excellent signing and congratulations to the Somerset promoters for pulling it off. Perhaps the firm of solicitors had to work overtime to get the work permit and visa sorted out. Once again I'm looking forward to what should be an exciting season ahead and I can't wait for it to start. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Seemingly,  you don't know how this works. Somerset (who are holders of a sponsors licence) must have agreed terms, with Luke Becker and now applied for and received a work permit for him to ride in the championship. He needs  a separate work permit, for each league (Premier and Championship), which well done Somerset, they have secured.

Actually I don't know anything about work permits, nor do I care to. I just remember when Becker was suggested as a Brummies rider in 2020 people piped up that his work permit means he can't ride in the 2nd tier.

If Rebels have something that means they can sign riders Birmingham can't, I suggest Birmingham get that something if they ever want to win anything.

7 hours ago, Col said:

Actually I don't know anything about work permits, nor do I care to. I just remember when Becker was suggested as a Brummies rider in 2020 people piped up that his work permit means he can't ride in the 2nd tier.

If Rebels have something that means they can sign riders Birmingham can't, I suggest Birmingham get that something if they ever want to win anything.

Birmingham, like Eastbourne, are a new company (not club/team - the business) and there is a government block on getting work permits etc. That's why talk of Broc Nicol coming to Eastbourne was just that - talk. Eastbourne could not have legally employed him, Suspect Brum are in the same position. I'm sure others on here will know the details of this law.

7 hours ago, Col said:

Quite right Col.....

having said that....it seems that 'speedway' in itself is all about surviving and winning anything is a bonus!? (just my opinion)

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 8:29 PM, drew2 said:

To start with what about Luke at 2 at the OTA with Rory in heat 1?  Anders at 3 with Bates at 4. Agree with Ben at 5.

Might move that around away from home though.

I don’t think Anders is ready for 3, heat 12 would be a tough ask for him with the reserves. Better to have a regular number 2, and maybe rotate on form Josh, Ben and Luke. 

Becker should be a great signing, but is there a potential issue of clashes with Czestochowa fixtures?

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Becker should be a great signing, but is there a potential issue of clashes with Czestochowa fixtures?

If there is, I hope its when you ride us ! : ))))

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

If there is, I hope its when you ride us ! : ))))

Que?

Request to the Somerset promotion, any chance of putting the video of a previous match on here we can enjoy, as other teams have done. I would like to suggest maybe one a week from previous years to give us a bit of Somerset speedway during these difficult times. Thanks.

• Like 1

I would love to see a speedway meeting fro Somerset, but what if no one from Somerset management reads this forum? your request will not be seen, therefor no match. Why not contact Somerset direct?

One problem is that the YouTube clips from Speedway Portal are largely behind the scenes coverage rather than mracing, except for their coverage of the Isle of Wight. They are putting a lot of effort but rights can be such an obstacle. 

A regular supply of past racing from the Oaktree Arena would give quite a 'lift' in these troubled times. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cliffeboy said:

Request to the Somerset promotion, any chance of putting the video of a previous match on here we can enjoy, as other teams have done. I would like to suggest maybe one a week from previous years to give us a bit of Somerset speedway during these difficult times. Thanks.

Like Eastbourne are doing....on their website.