British Speedway Forum

On 4/8/2020 at 11:52 AM, IronScorpion said:

Probably not what you wanted to see but 2 great meetings non the less

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.38011

And then again the home match vs Sheffield from last year on Tuesday night. Seem to recall it had some awesome racing in it, especially the last three races.

I also think that match marked my debut as an Updater last season.

They were 2 good meetings. As I recall we had 2 guests for each meeting but I can't remember who our reserve was that was missing for both legs. It was a freezing cold night at the OTA and  I still don't understand why Scunthorpe could have a tactical ride in a 2 leg event. I remember going to Scunthorpe on the Monday night and we'd just ordered our fish and chips inside the stadium when the meeting was called off due to the rain. Undeterred we went back the following night and as I recall they'd been working on the track all day and put fresh shale down. It was another cold night, but enjoyable and memorable. At least if I watch it again on Monday, I'll be warm, dry and wont have any travelling to do.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 11:46 PM, TonyO said:

They were 2 good meetings. As I recall we had 2 guests for each meeting but I can't remember who our reserve was that was missing for both legs. It was a freezing cold night at the OTA and  I still don't understand why Scunthorpe could have a tactical ride in a 2 leg event. I remember going to Scunthorpe on the Monday night and we'd just ordered our fish and chips inside the stadium when the meeting was called off due to the rain. Undeterred we went back the following night and as I recall they'd been working on the track all day and put fresh shale down. It was another cold night, but enjoyable and memorable. At least if I watch it again on Monday, I'll be warm, dry and wont have any travelling to do.

They were allowed back then but aren't now. Rob even asked the Somerset promotion not to use them but they refused. :oops:

It was called of on the Sunday & rearranged for the Monday.

23 hours ago, Paul Johnson said:

I keep wondering how Richard Hall got Ht 15?

some riders that night didn't fancy it

• Like 1

No Doyle cost us big time, and no Allen cost us a couple of years later. Massive blow losing an in form No 1 in the final.  Cook, Hall and Kennet were all poor. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cliffeboy said:

No Doyle cost us big time, and no Allen cost us a couple of years later. Massive blow losing an in form No 1 in the final.  Cook, Hall and Kennet were all poor. 

i watched it and dont remember seeing kennet !

23 hours ago, geoff100 said:

i watched it and dont remember seeing kennet !

Cliffeboy was referencing when Kennett guested as a replacement for Oliver Allen a few seasons later on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Cliffeboy was referencing when Kennett guested as a replacement for Oliver Allen a few seasons later on.

Yes, I think he scored something like 4 didn’t he?  

2 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Yeah he guested for Olly, who was magic at our place, and didn’t beat any of the Monarchs top 5. 

On 4/17/2020 at 6:43 PM, scunny1 said:

Bunyen for Sam Masters was a pretty poor replacement for the Scorpions too.

Yep agree, but those lost points for Doyle plus the 1-8 at our place was the difference. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cliffeboy said:

Yeah he guested for Olly, who was magic at our place, and didn’t beat any of the Monarchs top 5. 

Think he came on the mike at the end of the meeting Cliffeboy, to apologise to Rebels fans for his performance too. 

11 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Think he came on the mike at the end of the meeting Cliffeboy, to apologise to Rebels fans for his performance too. 

Really I was there that night, don’t remember that though. Fair play to him for that. 

18 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Something like that. I used to love watching Olly Allen at our track. Unpopular opinion perhaps but I actually think he is the best ever around the OTA - that includes Doyle, Zetterstrom and co too! He went through a period where he was unbeatable and wasn’t afraid to get the elbows out, ride the fence and come from the back too. Was gutted when he was moved on the following year.

• Like 2