British Speedway Forum

17 hours ago, Cliffeboy said:

Yep agree, but those lost points for Doyle plus the 1-8 at our place was the difference. 

What about the referee's decision to re-run heat 8 at the EWR when Newman got drive & hit Birks after 2 laps & 2 bends. Davies was well behind at the time of the stoppage. Sods law that in the re-run, Davies wins meaning that the probable(awarded) 5-1 ends up a 3-3. A 5-1, though, would have given you a r/r possibility.

IF'S, BUT'S AND MAYBE'S!!

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

Something like that. I used to love watching Olly Allen at our track. Unpopular opinion perhaps but I actually think he is the best ever around the OTA - that includes Doyle, Zetterstrom and co too! He went through a period where he was unbeatable and wasn’t afraid to get the elbows out, ride the fence and come from the back too. Was gutted when he was moved on the following year.

I don’t think he ever rode the OTA again after he left us. He was absolutely no nonsense going into the first bend and didn’t suffer fools gladly. Often his team mates would cop it too, but I remember Olly saying the first bend was “ all or nothing “

Olly was a great skipper at Somerset and often gave his time up for a mid meeting interview, answering fans questions and giving his opinion on speedway stuff 

Definitely missed at the OTA. 

• Like 3

seen Allen at Somerset , was superb there to be fair. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

seen Allen at Somerset , was superb there to be fair. 

He had tremendous throttle control, never revved the guts out of the bike but had loads of drive.

Always looked after his team mates as well. Best skipper I've known at The OTA

• Like 2

He was the master of no nonsense. It took my three kids 3/4 of a season to get a high five off him on the victory lap after a race on the back straight but they eventually cracked him ! He was an excellent servant for the Rebels.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

I don’t think he ever rode the OTA again after he left us. He was absolutely no nonsense going into the first bend and didn’t suffer fools gladly. Often his team mates would cop it too, but I remember Olly saying the first bend was “ all or nothing “

Olly was a great skipper at Somerset and often gave his time up for a mid meeting interview, answering fans questions and giving his opinion on speedway stuff 

Definitely missed at the OTA. 

His first bends almost became legendary how he would run in so deep and pretty much take anybody with him who got in his way. As Sugarray has posted, the drive he would get off the bends was unreal. You know he loved racing for Somerset too and was pretty passionate about it.

I’m not sure why the numbers didn’t work out the following year as he would of been my first name on the team sheet, but he went to Peterborough and I think rode against us in a challenge match at their track and then was injured in the following meeting... and forced to retire :(  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Najjer said:

His first bends almost became legendary how he would run in so deep and pretty much take anybody with him who got in his way. As Sugarray has posted, the drive he would get off the bends was unreal. You know he loved racing for Somerset too and was pretty passionate about it.

I’m not sure why the numbers didn’t work out the following year as he would of been my first name on the team sheet, but he went to Peterborough and I think rode against us in a challenge match at their track and then was injured in the following meeting... and forced to retire :(  

Exactly right. I remember a quote from Mads Kornelieussen when the two rode together at KingsLynn some years ago.  He said that he not only had to watch out for the opposition at the race for the first bend, but also for his partner Olly Allen!! Says it all really!

Anybody remember when Olly was a country mile in front during one meeting, and then he unexpectedly pulled up on the third and fourth bend....he claimed he saw a red light, but it was obviously someone with a flash camera.  He was absolutely furious...from where I stood I could actually hear Olly screaming in frustration as he coasted around the track   

14 minutes ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Exactly right. I remember a quote from Mads Kornelieussen when the two rode together at KingsLynn some years ago.  He said that he not only had to watch out for the opposition at the race for the first bend, but also for his partner Olly Allen!! Says it all really!

Anybody remember when Olly was a country mile in front during one meeting, and then he unexpectedly pulled up on the third and fourth bend....he claimed he saw a red light, but it was obviously someone with a flash camera.  He was absolutely furious...from where I stood I could actually hear Olly screaming in frustration as he coasted around the track   

Remember being sent into crowd to find the culprit. 

I actually couldn't  find anyone with a camera in that area.

1 minute ago, sugarray said:

Remember being sent into crowd to find the culprit. 

I actually couldn't  find anyone with a camera in that area.

He was probably on his toes if he knew you were after him Ray!

18 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

I remember that now you mention it! Think that typified his will to win. You get the impression with some riders they want to win but it’s not the be all and end all of everything, but with certain riders it is. Fans really get behind riders like that and who show a passion for their club and go above and beyond. You don’t get that with every rider but is what made BWD, Charles Wright and few others so relatable I think.

Ben Barker certainly isn’t as likeable but you can’t say he doesn’t bring an element of passion to the team this year and a will to win. Probably why people love him when he’s in their team and hate him when he’s against them. I think as long as he doesn’t bring his off track issues to the club, he could be a good signing.

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

I remember that now you mention it! Think that typified his will to win. You get the impression with some riders they want to win but it’s not the be all and end all of everything, but with certain riders it is. Fans really get behind riders like that and who show a passion for their club and go above and beyond. You don’t get that with every rider but is what made BWD, Charles Wright and few others so relatable I think.

Ben Barker certainly isn’t as likeable but you can’t say he doesn’t bring an element of passion to the team this year and a will to win. Probably why people love him when he’s in their team and hate him when he’s against them. I think as long as he doesn’t bring his off track issues to the club, he could be a good signing.

Barker is an other one that brings a load of baggage with him, he is running out of Clubs though. He is entertaining though.

What I would say  about Ben Barker, and I’m sure there are plenty of Plymouth fans that would back me up on this, is that he is one of the sports best team riders. His team riding especially at Plymouth was outstanding when he rode there 5 years or so ago. Sadly that art has become almost redundant these days  

Barker absolutely loves being the pantomime villain and I reckon that helps fire him up even more. But like you guys have said, he puts everything into every race. 

Edited by EnglishRoundabout

Ben barker will not disappoint he,ll take a few meetings to find his best set up at the OTA and will score consistently well thereafter, he will win his critics over no problem imo,but you only got him because the powers to be contrived an excuse to keep Plymouth out of the championship this season,but possibly done them a favour with this pandemic I will get up to the OTA to see bb ride he's always good value.