British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, Najjer said:

To add even more weight to my previous remark about Luke Becker and Poland, it now looks like Somerset want to return to their Friday night race night as oppose to Wednesdays - that doesn’t surprise me either.

The M5 on a Friday night from Whitsun to August Bank Holiday.??.

That'll go down like a lead balloon with some home Supporters I'd imagine and certainly from Away Fans like me who found Wednesday the quietest weeknight on M5.

I wonder what Rob "there's too many Friday Clubs" Godfrey will have to say too?

4 Friday Clubs already - shades of 2018 when Lakeside were bankrupted by the Friday night issue.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, HGould said:

4 Friday Clubs already - shades of 2018 when Lakeside were bankrupted by the Friday night issue.

It didn't help Workington either and the Friday was only their alternative night to run...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

It didn't help Workington either and the Friday was only their alternative night to run...

Regards 

THJ 

Yea no help off Godfrey !!  but we made H18TORY :party:

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, HGould said:

That'll go down like a lead balloon with some home Supporters I'd imagine and certainly from Away Fans like me who found Wednesday the quietest weeknight on M5.

Don’t shoot me, I’m just the speculative messenger! 

It’s all subject to council approval and then more importantly as has already been eluded to, Mr Godfrey and his band of merry followers.

For what it’s worth, I know of some fans who didn’t like the switch to the Wednesdays and I also know of some who disliked Fridays. You can’t please ‘em all! I’d assume though after being in the top tier on Wednesdays, dropping back down a league on a Wednesday, the want to switch back to a Friday probably tells you all you need to know in terms of attendance and revenue.

Edited by Najjer

On 11/22/2020 at 10:22 AM, Najjer said:

The difference being that Etheridge and Flint are likely to be squad members, where Becker will be first teamer it is expected on a regular basis. That would result in him potentially missing a host of Friday, Saturday and Sunday away league meetings. If I was the Somerset boss, I wouldn’t be prepared to let that happen personally and would look at replacing him. 

Think you are getting mixed up with what Division Lodz are in- they are in the E Winner Div 1 which is the 2nd division in Poland but isn`t their Div 2, and the E Winner league do not ride on Friday`s.

9 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Think you are getting mixed up with what Division Lodz are in- they are in the E Winner Div 1 which is the 2nd division in Poland but isn`t their Div 2, and the E Winner league do not ride on Friday`s.

Not getting muddled up at all - I’m well aware what league Łódź compete in. Although they aren’t usually scheduled to ride on Fridays, there was times this year when matches were rearranged to take place on Fridays in Poland in the Ewinner Divison 1. There was a few cases of this happening and I have no doubt that it will be the case in the future too. I highly doubt with some early start times usually on Saturdays that they would want Becker flying out a few hours before the scheduled start of a match over there too after riding here on a Friday night.

Not to mention, in my original point that I had noted he would probably miss several away matches more than likely at the British League weekend tracks of which there are several in the Championship. 

11 hours ago, HGould said:

Somerset was always Friday night racing until the last few years if you recall- I for one will be delighted if they revert back to Fridays it’s a great start to the weekend. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Just tell all these riders that fancy Poland “off you go” and build our leagues without them ,we need to start at the bottom again anyway, it was all getting out of hand before the Pandemic.

Here, Here to that.

20 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Just tell all these riders that fancy Poland “off you go” and build our leagues without them ,we need to start at the bottom again anyway, it was all getting out of hand before the Pandemic.

Far too many wasted years of decline too late, but surely now the right thing to do...

On 11/23/2020 at 11:49 AM, Najjer said:

To add even more weight to my previous remark about Luke Becker and Poland, it now looks like Somerset want to return to their Friday night race night as oppose to Wednesdays - that doesn’t surprise me either.

If Somerset were allowed to revert back to Friday nights that would confirm how bias and unfair plymouth are being treated by the mc,as one of the reasons for plymouth being turned down last season was that there is to many Friday night tracks but i guess that doesn't apply when your promoter is on the mc,who says it's not all about self interest and different rules for different clubs. I will watch developments with interest but I think I know what the outcome will be,the word corrupt springs to mind!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lewy said:

If Somerset were allowed to revert back to Friday nights that would confirm how bias and unfair plymouth are being treated by the mc,as one of the reasons for plymouth being turned down last season was that there is to many Friday night tracks but i guess that doesn't apply when your promoter is on the mc,who says it's not all about self interest and different rules for different clubs. I will watch developments with interest but I think I know what the outcome will be,the word corrupt springs to mind!

I’m not privy to information about Plymouth’s situation and you’ll be much know in the know on that than myself - but I can’t get my head round that being a reason to block them joining the league... especially when we currently operate a fixed race nights system in the top tier! To use that as a reason for blocking Plymouth completely contradicts the Premiership racenight ruling. 

I think the more weekend racing in the Championship with non-Polish league riders the better!

9 minutes ago, Najjer said:

I’m not privy to information about Plymouth’s situation and you’ll be much know in the know on that than myself - but I can’t get my head round that being a reason to block them joining the league... especially when we currently operate a fixed race nights system in the top tier! To use that as a reason for blocking Plymouth completely contradicts the Premiership racenight ruling. 

I think the more weekend racing in the Championship with non-Polish league riders the better!

There was other reasons but this was definitely one of them, as a consequence the plymouth promotion would move race night to a Tuesday to enable teams to do plymouth on Tuesday and Somerset on a Wednesday a nice little southern tour helping keep costs down but if they can’t see the benefits of that at the top table it's no wonder british speedway is on the crest of a slump.

3 hours ago, lewy said:

So it's Debbie Hancock fault now , still think they should be allowed in but maybe if there own house was in order the committee couldn't refuse entry.

16 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

So it's Debbie Hancock fault now , still think they should be allowed in but maybe if there own house was in order the committee couldn't refuse entry.

Glasshouses and all that,Plymouth have moved on from previous promotions took a step back into nl and rebuilt the clubs finances with much improved commercial side,and the track and facilities are excellent club should not be judged on previous owners.

Edited by lewy
  • Like 1