British Speedway Forum

41 minutes ago, lewy said:

Glasshouses and all that,Plymouth have moved on from previous promotions took a step back into nl and rebuilt the clubs finances with much improved commercial side,and the track and facilities are excellent club should not be judged on previous owners.

Agree totally but that is the way of the world as you say the new owners are changing things but the history obviously weighs heavy on them 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lewy said:

Glasshouses and all that,Plymouth have moved on from previous promotions took a step back into nl and rebuilt the clubs finances with much improved commercial side,and the track and facilities are excellent club should not be judged on previous owners.

It’s been a number of years since I last went to Plymouth, but I always enjoyed my visits down there. I also don’t know the background of the current promotion but from pictures of the track/stadium, the news coming out of Plymouth during the pandemic earlier this year, branding and efforts made to stage meetings look highly commendable - long may that continue.... and Friday night racing too!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Najjer said:

It’s been a number of years since I last went to Plymouth, but I always enjoyed my visits down there. I also don’t know the background of the current promotion but from pictures of the track/stadium, the news coming out of Plymouth during the pandemic earlier this year, branding and efforts made to stage meetings look highly commendable - long may that continue.... and Friday night racing too!

Cheers mate if you get down to us let me know I,ll buy you a beer

• Like 3

On 11/23/2020 at 11:49 AM, Najjer said:

To add even more weight to my previous remark about Luke Becker and Poland, it now looks like Somerset want to return to their Friday night race night as oppose to Wednesdays - that doesn’t surprise me either.

Not from what I hear.

The Oak tree needs Friday evening's to try and recover from this disastrous of years

2 hours ago, sugarray said:

Not from what I hear.

The Oak tree needs Friday evening's to try and recover from this disastrous of years

Surely a precedence was set when God almighty Godfrey refused Workingtons move to a Friday night track as just too any tracks wanting Fridays.

Nothings changed other than it’s a fellow committee member asking so.....

we all know how this works!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, sugarray said:

Not from what I hear.

This is from the local planning applications: 12/20/00014: Oak Tree Farm, Bristol Road, Edithmead, Highbridge, Somerset, TA9 4HA: Variation of Condition 1 of Planning Permission 12/04/00005 (Variation of Condition 8 of Planning Permission 1/12/99/18 to allow alternative race night on Wednesday when opponent's race night is also Friday, when no other Friday date is available and fixtures cancelled due to weather. 14 day notification of any rescheduled fixtures) to allow for Speedway training days to take place on the track.

Unless I’ve read that wrong, that implies the first condition is to switch main race night presumably to a Friday night - although it doesn’t specify which day but does mention Friday in the second part. The second condition being to allow for an alternative race night on a Wednesday and also allowing for training days, shows that Wednesdays are no longer the preferred main racenight. You’ll know better than me though.

Edited by Najjer

45 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Surely a precedence was set when God almighty Godfrey refused Workingtons move to a Friday night track as just too any tracks wanting Fridays.

Nothings changed other than it’s a fellow committee member asking so.....

we all know how this works!

Plymouth were told they would have to change race nights from Fridays because to many other teams use Friday aswell, but I guess your right we all know how this will go!!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

12 Teams in the League

Tuesday - Kent

Wednesday - Poole / Brummies 

Friday - Edinburgh / Glasgow / Redcar / Scunthorpe / SOMERSET

Saturday - Berwick / Eastbourne / Leicester

Sunday - Newcastle

So presumably the other 4 Friday Clubs take precedence over Somerset for CL Fixtures as they are changing dates?.

Leaves most Friday's with 10 Teams therefore in action?

You only need a few Friday rain-offs and it will be complete carnage.

Would only also need one of the Teams not involved to refuse to release Guests and it would be a complete joke! 

As Workington / Lakeside found out the Chairman does not like to be left without Guest options.

The fact this is a Management Committee Member Club really does not look good for the transparency of the Sport.

Unless of course one of the other Friday Clubs are seeking to change their race night? 

Could Redcar move to Saturday or Sunday , could Glasgow move to Saturday or Sunday, especially as most foreigners won't be back so needed on the Continent

Will have to wait for it to all come out in the wash! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HGould said:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

12 Teams in the League

Tuesday - Kent

Wednesday - Poole / Brummies 

Friday - Edinburgh / Glasgow / Redcar / Scunthorpe / SOMERSET

Saturday - Berwick / Eastbourne / Leicester

Sunday - Newcastle

So presumably the other 4 Friday Clubs take precedence over Somerset for CL Fixtures as they are changing dates?.

Leaves most Friday's with 10 Teams therefore in action?

You only need a few Friday rain-offs and it will be complete carnage.

Would only also need one of the Teams not involved to refuse to release Guests and it would be a complete joke! 

As Workington / Lakeside found out the Chairman does not like to be left without Guest options.

The fact this is a Management Committee Member Club really does not look good for the transparency of the Sport.

Unless of course one of the other Friday Clubs are seeking to change their race night? 

Could Redcar move to Saturday or Sunday , could Glasgow move to Saturday or Sunday, especially as most foreigners won't be back so needed on the Continent

Will have to wait for it to all come out in the wash! 

As Glasgow started world war 3 to get Fridays ( “ We are running Fridays or we will sue )  I can’t see them changing now. Godfrey did the same ( “ I’m running Fridays or I close “ )

Redcar probably can’t do regular Sundays because of the closeness of Newcastle and the car park is shared with the other race track ( plus shared staff, crowd etc ).

Would make no sense whatsoever to let Somerset run on a Friday.

But the mafia will do what suits them and sod the rest, as Workington found out to their cost.

• Like 2

Glasgow went from Sunday afternoons which suited us for organising buses, to Saturday night and now Friday night so they won't change now.

Would love rebels to continue with Wednesday night's because of M5 problems,so would go to Plymouth instead as not so bad from my house,but know Somerset have to best for the club,as long as covid doesn't much it all up

• Like 3

Speaking as a track anorak, while fascinated and impressed by the progress planned and currently taking place at Plymouth, I seem to recall reading that permanent buildings and structures weren't permitted on the St Boniface Arena land.  i.e. just a fenced  track and portacabins ?  While I'm sure the promotion know what they are doing, presumably they aren't going to a lot of time & effort just to maybe (hopefully not) tear it all down again....

1 hour ago, martinmauger said:

Speaking as a track anorak, while fascinated and impressed by the progress planned and currently taking place at Plymouth, I seem to recall reading that permanent buildings and structures weren't permitted on the St Boniface Arena land.  i.e. just a fenced  track and portacabins ?  While I'm sure the promotion know what they are doing, presumably they aren't going to a lot of time & effort just to maybe (hopefully not) tear it all down again....

Why would they have to tear it all down, curious why you would make such a statement 

2 hours ago, martinmauger said:

I dont think the beautiful new stand is considered a fixed building/structure. From what I saw and heard, the promotion built it as a kit. So it would qualify as a temporary structure.   

• Like 1