British Speedway Forum

4 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

No mention of 2022 in the press realease. Parts of it read like a farewell to me.

Just looked at the Somerset Site release. Looked back in and the link to both Somerset & Swindon sites looks to have disappeared off the SpeedwayGB website Clubs List  as well.

Disturbingly quick??

Just now, Lefty said:

Just looked at the Somerset Site release. Looked back in and the link to both Somerset & Swindon sites looks to have disappeared off the SpeedwayGB website Clubs List  as well.

Disturbingly quick??

They won't be the last.

10 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

No mention of 2022 in the press realease. Parts of it read like a farewell to me.

I thought the same after reading it. Hopefully just the way it was worded and they'll be back next year.

15 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It says about the license being “on hold” although no mention of hopefully being back. That final line thanking everyone for their support over the years reads like a goodbye to me.

20 minutes ago, mikebv said:

So a "complete fixture list" would be OK, but one that wasn't would run at a loss?

That’s the bit that has confused me too and I can’t understand. Quite a bold statement to make with no explanation.

1 hour ago, lewy said:

It seems "the facts" were fiction Womble53.

Not all all, that was the situation at the time, and the information I gave you came directly from a member of the management team. Since then the situation for everyone has changed drastically and the club has quite rightly reassessed where it is & how to protect the financial future of the club, which is something it has always had in the forefront of how it operates. the likelihood of a full season in 2021 is very much in doubt, despite what some would like you to think.

So, no, the facts were not fiction but the facts available from the club at the time but if you wish to try to score points, go ahead, it's no skin off my nose, as I know that what I posted was correct at the time. :)

Edited by womble53
  • Like 2

Here is the full club statement, for those who have only read the British Speedway release.................

CLUB STATEMENT: REBELS RELUCTANTLY WITHDRAW FROM 2021 SEASON

Somerset Speedway has made the decision not to declare their intent to compete in the 2021 season, amidst ongoing concerns regarding the financial credibility of the club.

Club promoter Debbie Hancock announced, "It is with a truly heavy heart that Dad, Garry and I have reached the decision to put our licence on hold, and we have informed our fellow promoters at today's Annual General Meeting of that fact.

"As a family-run business, we have always prided ourselves in ensuring all riders and suppliers are paid in a timely manner and not run up any debts, but our concerns are that our income streams could be tested too greatly for that to be the case in 2021. We have first-hand knowledge of how The Oak Tree arena operation has been greatly hit financially with no regular income as a consequence of the pandemic, and indications are that it will be a while yet before indoor functions are likely to be sanctioned again by the Government. So, from our own experience alone, we fear that there will be many other businesses with a similar story to tell and whilst some of our loyal sponsors have indicated their willingness to continue to back the speedway, it is all too evident that many organisations will have a different view on their sponsorship budgets. "

The world remains very much in a perilous state right now and even though there are green-shoots of a health recovery by virtue of the vaccines that are being rolled out, we feel that there will still be too much uncertainty in respect of lifting restrictions sufficiently to allow a normal season to run.

"We respect the beliefs that a number of clubs hold for a return to a season of racing at some stage in 2021, but from our perspective, unless we could be assured of a full campaign, and it is obvious that nobody can give those assurances at this stage, then as promoters of Somerset Speedway we cannot commit to the risk of operating at a loss, and therefore have decided to withdraw and allow the riders as much opportunity as possible to find alternative team places."

We must emphasise that this decision was not reached lightly and was the matter of great deliberation, not least because we really didn't want to let our fans down, but we had to face the hard facts and there can be no-one more disappointed than I am and I can only conclude this statement by saying a very big thank you to everyone who has supported us over the 20 years of racing that, both on and off track.

• Like 1

What a choker, been there from the start. Really hope the Rebs are back in 22. I feel for the guys who have been there helping and running things right from the start. Tbf I can’t see there being any speedway in this country next year. Hopefully the GP’s will happen again.

• Like 1

"Rebels promoter Debbie Hancock has informed fellow promoters of their intention to put their licence on ice and they will not take their place in the Championship."

Putting the clubs license on ice still costs £5k from what I remember? Unless it's changed, but that's what the Workington promotion did, with the intention of sitting out a year and never to be seen again...

Edited by Marksman
  • Sad 1

Sad news if Somerset don't reappear in 2022, I hope they will in some form.

Starting the Cardiff weekend off at Somerset on the Friday, was one of the true highlights of the season, seeing those grass banks full of different team colours defined the sport as I new it growing up.

• Like 3

Another serious body blow to speedway and I fear the way things are going it won’t be the last. So many clubs are in financial trouble you can not blame owners-promoters for taking these tough decisions. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, womble53 said:

Here is the full club statement, for those who have only read the British Speedway release.................

CLUB STATEMENT: REBELS RELUCTANTLY WITHDRAW FROM 2021 SEASON

Somerset Speedway has made the decision not to declare their intent to compete in the 2021 season, amidst ongoing concerns regarding the financial credibility of the club.

Club promoter Debbie Hancock announced, "It is with a truly heavy heart that Dad, Garry and I have reached the decision to put our licence on hold, and we have informed our fellow promoters at today's Annual General Meeting of that fact.

"As a family-run business, we have always prided ourselves in ensuring all riders and suppliers are paid in a timely manner and not run up any debts, but our concerns are that our income streams could be tested too greatly for that to be the case in 2021. We have first-hand knowledge of how The Oak Tree arena operation has been greatly hit financially with no regular income as a consequence of the pandemic, and indications are that it will be a while yet before indoor functions are likely to be sanctioned again by the Government. So, from our own experience alone, we fear that there will be many other businesses with a similar story to tell and whilst some of our loyal sponsors have indicated their willingness to continue to back the speedway, it is all too evident that many organisations will have a different view on their sponsorship budgets. "

The world remains very much in a perilous state right now and even though there are green-shoots of a health recovery by virtue of the vaccines that are being rolled out, we feel that there will still be too much uncertainty in respect of lifting restrictions sufficiently to allow a normal season to run.

"We respect the beliefs that a number of clubs hold for a return to a season of racing at some stage in 2021, but from our perspective, unless we could be assured of a full campaign, and it is obvious that nobody can give those assurances at this stage, then as promoters of Somerset Speedway we cannot commit to the risk of operating at a loss, and therefore have decided to withdraw and allow the riders as much opportunity as possible to find alternative team places."

We must emphasise that this decision was not reached lightly and was the matter of great deliberation, not least because we really didn't want to let our fans down, but we had to face the hard facts and there can be no-one more disappointed than I am and I can only conclude this statement by saying a very big thank you to everyone who has supported us over the 20 years of racing that, both on and off track.

Must admit that does like a farewell.

20 minutes ago, eric i said:

Does putting their license on hold mean they can't hold individual meetings?

Yes I believe so as the track will not have a 2021 racing licence unless the SCB decide to grant 'special' ones.