British Speedway Forum

I think Somerset withdrawing definitely contributed to Plymouth being accepted so I'm glad they spat the dummy :D

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, lewy said:

I think Somerset withdrawing definitely contributed to Plymouth being accepted so I'm glad they spat the dummy :D

Somehow I thought you would be:rofl:

9 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Somehow I thought you would be:rofl:

Get back on the scunthorpe thread or national league thread you old lemon suckered.:drink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lewy said:

Why have they spat their dummy?

20 hours ago, sugarray said:

Why have they spat their dummy?

I assume he means by quitting the league before any roadmap was given by Boris. 

• Like 1

https://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/oaktree-entertainment-venue-on-the-outskirts-of-highbridge-set-to-close-down/

Even with the closing statement, we were always led to believe that the clubhouse helped to subsidised some of the costs of the speedway team. Without the clubhouse income as it’s sold to somebody else, which was presumably sold in or around the time the withdrawal was announced, you do have to wonder if there is a future for the speedway club? I really hope that isn’t the case.

Edited by Najjer

Maybe  Somerset will go down the same road as IOW where the costs will  be less? And keep a good racing track open.  

Would seem to be an excellent opportunity for a new Promotion Team to go in there and make it pay on Gate Receipts and Sponsorship paying Rent to the Hancock family.

Plenty of scope to run a successful Championship level business from there for someone or a group of people.

28 minutes ago, HGould said:

Would seem to be an excellent opportunity for a new Promotion Team to go in there and make it pay on Gate Receipts and Sponsorship paying Rent to the Hancock family.

Plenty of scope to run a successful Championship level business from there for someone or a group of people.

Without the clubhouse it doesn't make money so really can't see any new promoter going in not the way things are?

52 minutes ago, HGould said:

Can’t see that happening. Many people tried before the Hancock’s took over the whole lot. If they can’t make it pay when they own the land, the clubhouse, car park and food outlets... then nobody can.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hope I'm wrong but the land as got to be worth a lot more to build more on? than running a loss making speedway team. It would be a crying shame if that was to happen, But to be fair you could not blame the Hancock family. 

I may be wrong but I think the year in the Premiership cost the Hancocks big time something they had not recovered from.

What are the terms of the sale of the Oaktree: lease, rented or freehold? 

Certainly not the best of news. Somerset is a brilliant race track - but who & how do you get the crowd the track deserves.

3 hours ago, Najjer said:

Can’t see that happening. Many people tried before the Hancock’s took over the whole lot. If they can’t make it pay when they own the land, the clubhouse, car park and food outlets... then nobody can.

Agree,if Hancock’s could not make it can’t see many others taking the chance with just speedway.

4 hours ago, Trackerman48 said:

Hope I'm wrong but the land as got to be worth a lot more to build more on? than running a loss making speedway team. It would be a crying shame if that was to happen, But to be fair you could not blame the Hancock family. 

Bit away from other housing, might be difficult to get planning

Was more thinking along the lines of units as there are a lot on there now and all are full.