British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, Knowle said:

I believe the location previously under consideration is  where those giant windmills are now.

Better get Don Quixote in to shift them then? :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Wasn't it same guy who started Somerset who was looking?

4 hours ago, sugarray said:

Wasn't it same guy who started Somerset who was looking?

Andy Hewlett?

• Like 2

CLUB STATEMENT: SOMERSET SPEEDWAY CLOSURE

Somerset Speedway promoter Debbie Hancock has today announced "it is with a heavy heart that I have to advise supporters and sponsors that the Hancock family have decided to retire from British Speedway and Somerset will be no longer."

Emotionally she added "I can assure everyone who has backed the club that had it not been for the outbreak of Covid-19 then we would have not been in the position that we have found ourselves in. Furthermore, I would like everyone to know that we never had any intention to sell the clubhouse, as that was very much a personal project that the family had built up over the years. But, the loss of the facility due to the Covid-19 restrictions, hit us financially, with the Clubhouse not being able to open. It's core-business was the hosting of large functions and it became apparent to us that, on numbers of 30 people or less it would cost us money to re-open on the basis of seating restrictions and social distance compliance, once the Government legislation permitted it.
"I am sure that there will be some people who wont believe me when I say however, that we did not even advertise the sale of the facility, and that it was just a chance conversation Dad (Bill Hancock) had with someone on a bleak day in February that led to a would-be buyer coming forward. This was a month after we had made the call to put our licence on hold for the 2021 season, because of our concerns over the Covid-19 restrictions. We discussed the offer as a family and to be honest, whilst it was an agonising decision, it was a no brainer to sell the Clubhouse.

"Of course, we all recognised that the huge downside was that potentially we would no longer be able to run speedway, but we had to run with our heads and not our hearts and whilst I know that our decision will upset many fans that have stuck by us over the years, I genuinely hope that they live with all the great memories Somerset speedway has generated over the years, and understand as a family why we have had to come to this day. I know that our many loyal fans will undoubtedly take this news hard. Once again, it was not an easy decision to make but one that was based on pure economics. We have made many friends over the years and there have also been many friendships made between our supporters. Long may they continue to flourish.

"There have been other factors underpinning our decision. Not least the fact that our request for extra planning permission from our local council to do more training schools, in an attempt to encourage more youngsters to break through into the sport and help us financially. We believed that, had we that option, it would have helped make us a great speedway club but unfortunately, this was turned down on the basis of unsatisfactory noise levels. To my mind that seemed crazy and it came as a bitter blow when I know clubs such as Scunthorpe, who also own their own track, can do what they do. The way it should be.

"Genuinely, as a family we have put everything into running Somerset speedway and it has not always been an easy task, but we did it and we are proud of what we have achieved. It is important for us to make clear that what was written in the Speedway Star a few weeks back, about the surrounding land, had absolutely nothing to do with our decisions on both the Oaktree and the Speedway, because they are all totally separate businesses. My father and I declined to comment to the reporter for that reason, and whilst I did send him texts to state this, evidently, he chose to have none of it and continued with the story, painting a different version to the facts.

"At all stages of our decision-making process we thought of all the key people who had given so much to Somerset Speedway. In recent years we had been blessed with having a formidable Co promoter and Team Manager in Garry May. In my book he was one of the best team managers in recent years. What he doesn’t know about tactics and putting a team together is not worth talking about. We feel for Gazza, and appreciate the pain he must be feeling in seeing his beloved Rebels close down. Me, Dad and Mum simply cannot thank him enough for what he has done over the last few years. He will always be a great family friend and certainly a best friend to me. I am sure that speedway will find him an opportunity to shine again at some point in the future.

"When we reflect on the last 10 years there has been one very special company that stood proudly by ours sides in a big way. Cases have been phenomenal sponsors of Somerset Speedway, and I cannot thank Ian Burns, Sean Campbell and Rob Nigh enough for all their support over the years. They became our headline sponsors in 2012 and have been on the journey with us ever since. But there have also been so many other team partners and sponsors along the years that have also continuously backed us speedway really would not have been possible without these guys, and to all of those, we offer our sincere thanks and gratitude.

"No speedway club could survive without the efforts of the track and backroom staff. What they bring to a race night and being able to make an event happen is immeasurable and I know some of it is a thankless task, so on this very sad occasion I would like to offer up a huge thank you for the time that has been given over the years, by either current or retired staff. I sincerely thank you for everything you have done for us, it has always been appreciated.

"Finally, I would like to inform all supporters that whilst we will be selling the Air Fence, an asset that many fans have contributed towards over the years, all monies received will be donated to our Charity Partners Somerset and Dorset Air Ambulance.

"Having reached our final decision, I would like it to be known that the Hancock family and promotion will be making no further comment pertaining to it."

• Sad 1

The writing has been on the wall for some time. Units being built on the land, pulling out of the league and then the clubhouse being sold. I’m surprised it’s taken this long.

Another club gone and another should and could of been the blueprint for British Speedway for years to come.

Thanks for the memories down the years - there has been some amazing times and following my side up and down the country and beyond. 

Such a shame to end like this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Another club gone and another should and could of been the blueprint for British Speedway for years to come.

Thanks for the memories down the years - there has been some amazing times and following my side up and down the country and beyond. 

Such a shame to end like this.

Well put Najjer . 

I was at Exeter when they closed and  migrated to Somerset.

I've made some good friends at Somerset including yourself Najjer, Mr T , Ian and all the boys on the back straight.

I've some great memories and photos .

Thanks Debbie; Bill; Gazza all the track staff and those behind the scenes.

Thanks

Ian H

• Like 1

why hasn't it been offered for someone else to promote

• Like 5

Terrible shame. Great race track, great memories. I made some good friends at the Oak Tree Arena. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ch958 said:

My first thought too...

Basic facilities but excellent racetrack. .

Couldn't someone have made it work at NDL or Championship level..?

Another one bites the dust unfortunately...

This is tragic. 
I have enjoyed watching speedway there and racing there in my sidecar days. A great racetrack that is a real loss to the sport.

Let's hope someone else can pick up the reins. 

57 minutes ago, ch958 said:

Yes you beat me to it!

I can understand the Hancock family not wanting to run without the income from the clubhouse contributing towards costs

But.... there may well could have been a consortium/promoter out there willing to lease the track from them? Could have been made to work at NL level for example?

Sadly the announcement clearly stating that’s it and it’s gone and the selling of the air fence reads to me like they have other ideas for use of the land the track sits on, particular if other units have gone up.

3 minutes ago, Marky_Mark said:

Yes you beat me to it!

I can understand the Hancock family not wanting to run without the income from the clubhouse contributing towards costs

But.... there may well could have been a consortium/promoter out there willing to lease the track from them? Could have been made to work at NL level for example?

Sadly the announcement clearly stating that’s it and it’s gone and the selling of the air fence reads to me like they have other ideas for use of the land the track sits on, particular if other units have gone up.

I guess someone has made them a tasty offer for the land.

Guest compost

Real shame to see Somerset go.

As others have said I don't understand why they didn't see if someone else wanted to run it, even if only for just this season.

Having said that, the number of new houses going up in and around Bridgwater is obscene.  2000 plus right next to the M5 (the gardens back onto the motorway).

Also wonder why the planning app mentioned was turned down?  Why turn it down on noise grounds when the track is sandwiched between the M5 and the A39?  It's what 300 yards from the M5 and probably less to the A39.

3 minutes ago, compost said:

Real shame to see Somerset go.

As others have said I don't understand why they didn't see if someone else wanted to run it, even if only for just this season.

Having said that, the number of new houses going up in and around Bridgwater is obscene.  2000 plus right next to the M5 (the gardens back onto the motorway).

Also wonder why the planning app mentioned was turned down?  Why turn it down on noise grounds when the track is sandwiched between the M5 and the A39?  It's what 300 yards from the M5 and probably less to the A39.

Once the clubhouse was sold (for a different use than the current one) there is no realistic way for speedway to run around it.

So many ifs & buts, it was a brilliant race track producing great racing BUT never getting the crowds it deserved. R.I.P. the Oaktree Arena. 

• Like 1