British Speedway Forum

On 4/24/2021 at 9:03 PM, Triple.H. said:

i'm sure it said the new owners of the clubhouse were in a completely different business and wouldn't be running  it as a hospitality venue.

Whether they are in different business or not,a clubhouse is there to be used ,and would have thought some kind of agreement could have been made to use the clubhouse on race nights.As words used by Debbie Hancock when the offer came along TO SELL THE CLUB HOUSE,"IT A NO BRAINER NOT TO USE IT"!!!!!!

Edited by speedwaysliders

15 minutes ago, speedwaysliders said:

Whether they are in different business or not,a clubhouse is there to be used ,and would have thought some kind of agreement could have been made to use the clubhouse on race nights.As words used by Debbie Hancock when the offer came along TO SELL THE CLUB HOUSE,"IT A NO BRAINER NOT TO USE IT"!!!!!!

If the company who have bought it are not going to use it as a clubhouse, then I doubt it could be used as one on an adhoc basis one day a week. Maybe it will be offices, or a training centre for certain trades.

Maybe she meant it's a no brainer to take the money offered for the clubhouse.

IMO the Hancock family probably got fed up with working in the inner sanctum of a body that show so much ineptitude and self interest, instead of the greater good of the whole.

Even though that body is way behind the current leaders in the I'm alright Jack World Championships

The Cabinet

If they've been offered silly money they'd be daft not to take it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

If the company who have bought it are not going to use it as a clubhouse, then I doubt it could be used as one on an adhoc basis one day a week. Maybe it will be offices, or a training centre for certain trades.

IMO the Hancock family probably got fed up with working in the inner sanctum of a body that show so much ineptitude and self interest, instead of the greater good of the whole.

Even though that body is way behind the current leaders in the I'm alright Jack World Championships

The Cabinet

Remember she was one of the inner sanctum.

It was their club, their track, their land , they have chosen to sell up and take the money, that’s business and it’s their choice.

Sad loss to speedway but predictable .

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

The Cabinet

I AGREE with mostly everything you said,I cant get my head round the clubhouse.SUrely if are buying it,you make the most of it,if only to to sell sandwiches to the workers that are building the new units for an example. ANYTHING that brings in an income has to be looked at,thats why im surprised evan with the sale of the land,it doesnt effect the clubhouse or track if i understand correct.So the Hancocks have got their money from the land and clubhouse .whats stopping them to run?!! 

JUST out of interest does anyone know the events coming up at the clubhouse?

4 hours ago, speedwaysliders said:

I AGREE with mostly everything you said,I cant get my head round the clubhouse.SUrely if are buying it,you make the most of it,if only to to sell sandwiches to the workers that are building the new units for an example. ANYTHING that brings in an income has to be looked at,thats why im surprised evan with the sale of the land,it doesnt effect the clubhouse or track if i understand correct.So the Hancocks have got their money from the land and clubhouse .whats stopping them to run?!! 

JUST out of interest does anyone know the events coming up at the clubhouse?

I think the Council restrictions on when the track could be used have been a massive hindrance, lets face it its pretty much in the middle of nowhere with a motorway a couple of hundred yards away, so noise shouldn't really be an issue. As a Hackney fan i reckon you're probably at least 21 and a bit and able to remember like myself when the bikes were noisy, nowadays they're incredibly quiet in comparison.

It's a sad loss to the sport, a great track. The Pairs along with the 4TT are my 2 favourite events in British Speedway, both always a good day out with entertaining racing

I saw they where selling club asset any idea who i dont know somerset asset list .

On 5/29/2021 at 3:27 PM, Ringitsneck said:

Remember she was one of the inner sanctum.

It was their club, their track, their land , they have chosen to sell up and take the money, that’s business and it’s their choice.

Sad loss to speedway but predictable .

Yet another example which dispels the saying 'if only the promoter had owned the track, they would still be running'! :unsure: 

• Like 3

On 5/30/2021 at 6:08 PM, Greg said:

I saw they where selling club asset any idea who i dont know somerset asset list .

If you’re referring to riders, there is very few that hold any value nowadays. All the likes of Sam Masters, Jake Allen etc was sold on years ago

• Like 1

Think you will find they were referring to things like the air fence and track maintenance equipment rather than riders 

Just back from Plymouth and this is no criticism of their set up I wish them every success and will be back again this year for multiple visits but it made me realise how special the race track is/was at Somerset. Tonight hit home what a loss to the sport this club is and how lucky we were every week. I can’t pretend tonight I wasn’t gutted but it was great to see some live racing again. 

I have not been or seen the Somerset track, but does anyone who knows the area and track, think there could be a chance in the future for another promoter to restart speedway there or will the land the track is on disappear for other uses, such as industrial units etc? :unsure:

Guest compost
8 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I have not been or seen the Somerset track, but does anyone who knows the area and track, think there could be a chance in the future for another promoter to restart speedway there or will the land the track is on disappear for other uses, such as industrial units etc? :unsure:

Huge amount of residential building going on in the general area and more slated.

IMHO no chance of anything similar to Somerset S'way being allowed in the area.  And that's from Bridgwater up to and including Weston-Super-Mare.  Taunton way might be the only, very remote, chance.

5 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

4 hours ago, compost said:

Huge amount of residential building going on in the general area and more slated.

IMHO no chance of anything similar to Somerset S'way being allowed in the area.  And that's from Bridgwater up to and including Weston-Super-Mare.  Taunton way might be the only, very remote, chance.

What compost has said is right - there is slim to no chance of it happening. Huge parts of the surrounding area has been developed in some way or another that is linked to the new Hinckley point power station works that are ongoing and for years to come. Much more value in redevelopment for housing, hotels and industrial units in this area now than there is for a speedway track.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

What compost has said is right - there is slim to no chance of it happening. Huge parts of the surrounding area has been developed in some way or another that is linked to the new Hinckley point power station works that are ongoing and for years to come. Much more value in redevelopment for housing, hotels and industrial units in this area now than there is for a speedway track.

I notice there is a banger/stock car track, The Mendips Raceway, Somerset. Could the track ever be used for speedway? Sometimes a joint operation with bangers and speedway do not work, Skegness as an example. :unsure: 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I notice there is a banger/stock car track, The Mendips Raceway, Somerset. Could the track ever be used for speedway? Sometimes a joint operation with bangers and speedway do not work, Skegness as an example. :unsure: 

Skegness stadium is in a rural location, miles out of town. The promoters gambled on the former Boston fans to support the venture. I counted a couple of hundred people at the meeting i attended, that was for premier league racing!