British Speedway Forum

6 hours ago, Spiderman1 said:

Is allen comming back in 21?

No ,he will ride for the Scorpions again.

• Like 2

7 more riders available if its true Somerset are pulling out of the league this year. 

Edited by lewy
  • Like 2

If what I am hearing is true, how many more clubs are going to finish up for 2021? Somerset and Swindon, there is bound to be a lot more.

If I am being honest, all promoters who intend to run beyond 2021 should get together and plan a decent product for 2022. One league instead of two, which consists of mostly the same riders anyway. One big league. Do away with the knock out cup, premier trophy etc and have one big league campaign and top four to the play offs. Ban any GP riders or other high ranked foreign riders who only want to ride when they fancy it. You only see one team visit every year instead of 2/3 or even 4 times a year.

It is clearly obvious nothing will be happening in 2021 apart from maybe a few meetings at the tail end of the season. The country is rife with this virus , its in complete lockdown near enough and there is no way in hell by even May you will get the green light to have as many fans as you want into a stadium. No matter what a few of the fans think, I have seen it happen in Australia. There are no new cases in Victoria or active cases, yet in 6 weeks the F1 opener has been cancelled already due to no fans being allowed in. And I read somewhere that the UK want to follow Australia and NZ's examples in order to get back to some sort of normality. So prepare for another cancelled season of speedway.

Idiots like Godfrey will keep you believing it is going to happen, but it wont. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Pinny said:

If what I am hearing is true, how many more clubs are going to finish up for 2021? Somerset and Swindon, there is bound to be a lot more.

If I am being honest, all promoters who intend to run beyond 2021 should get together and plan a decent product for 2022. One league instead of two, which consists of mostly the same riders anyway. One big league. Do away with the knock out cup, premier trophy etc and have one big league campaign and top four to the play offs. Ban any GP riders or other high ranked foreign riders who only want to ride when they fancy it. You only see one team visit every year instead of 2/3 or even 4 times a year.

It is clearly obvious nothing will be happening in 2021 apart from maybe a few meetings at the tail end of the season. The country is rife with this virus , its in complete lockdown near enough and there is no way in hell by even May you will get the green light to have as many fans as you want into a stadium. No matter what a few of the fans think, I have seen it happen in Australia. There are no new cases in Victoria or active cases, yet in 6 weeks the F1 opener has been cancelled already due to no fans being allowed in. And I read somewhere that the UK want to follow Australia and NZ's examples in order to get back to some sort of normality. So prepare for another cancelled season of speedway.

Spot on..

In other words, a huge opportunity to reset the operating model and business plan, to where it should have been reset donkeys years ago, as soon as it became obvious that the increase in FIM events, better paying leagues, and national federations themselves, had started to dictate to the UK who could ride when and where, and ultimately meant the UK had lost control over their own destiny.. 

Many years too late it maybe for action, but the pandemic has given them a gift horse...

Let's hope they dont just look at its mouth...

Edited by mikebv

34 minutes ago, Pinny said:

I don't get this thing about banning GP riders. There was only due to be one GP riding here this year anyway, and he has never, as far as I can recall, missed a meeting because of it (unless you count getting injured riding in one).

Now, with Swindon pulling out, there won't be any.

It just turns into another witch hunt against Jason Doyle, who has always shown loyalty to the UK anyway. I don't see why any club should not be allowed to sign a top World Class rider who wants to ride here if they want to. How does this effect other clubs? If anything, it gives them an attractive opposition when Jason comes to ride.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

I don't get this thing about banning GP riders. There was only due to be one GP riding here this year anyway, and he has never, as far as I can recall, missed a meeting because of it (unless you count getting injured riding in one).

Now, with Swindon pulling out, there won't be any.

It just turns into another witch hunt against Jason Doyle, who has always shown loyalty to the UK anyway. I don't see why any club should not be allowed to sign a top World Class rider who wants to ride here if they want to. How does this effect other clubs? If anything, it gives them an attractive opposition when Jason comes to ride.

Not another witch hunt against Doyle at all. I only recently on the KL thread on how he has been a superb servant to UK speedway.

Its more regarding other GP riders who over the years have picked and chose, pulled out last minute meaning clubs have to use a 3.00 rider or no rider at all to replace them. They have been nothing but a hindrance . If UK speedway is going to rebuild, it needs to start at the bottom. 

51 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Not another witch hunt against Doyle at all. I only recently on the KL thread on how he has been a superb servant to UK speedway.

Its more regarding other GP riders who over the years have picked and chose, pulled out last minute meaning clubs have to use a 3.00 rider or no rider at all to replace them. They have been nothing but a hindrance . If UK speedway is going to rebuild, it needs to start at the bottom. 

I didn't mean you personally when I said witch hunt. Just that is what it becomes as he is the one GP rider who has stuck with the UK.

Interesting that the press release on the Somerset site differs from the one released on the BSPL site where they appear to have missed off the paragraph about not being guaranteed a full campaign. Classic case of BSPL burying their heads in the sand when something is said that they don’t like perhaps? As Lord General Godfrey keeps saying “Don’t believe what they say, let’s go racing!” :rolleyes:

I must admit, I don’t overly understand that part of the press release. If Somerset are concerned about running at a loss, then what difference does running a shortened or full campaign make? That doesn’t make any sense but backs up claims of growing unrest in recent weeks between different teams and promotions. I completely understand the impact of COVID on the Oak Tree Bar and Food outlets which obviously helps subsidise the speedway so not sure how or why a shortened or full campaign play a part in that?

A sad day. I think one of the most disappointing things is there has been next to no communication to Somerset fans for months about plans and genuine news like other teams in the country have managed, bar some promises and “facts” posted on here... then on the day of the AGM they are dealt a sucker punch that their team is pulling out regardless of the reasons given. With concerns about running at a loss, it makes you wonder if we’ve now seen the last ever laps of speedway at the Oak Tree Arena. Over 2 years without racing will be incredibly hard to come back from.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Yes- both would have gone skint !

And the people in charge at both places know that

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Interesting that the press release on the Somerset site differs from the one released on the BSPL site where they appear to have missed off the paragraph about not being guaranteed a full campaign. Classic case of BSPL burying their heads in the sand when something is said that they don’t like perhaps? As Lord General Godfrey keeps saying “Don’t believe what they say, let’s go racing!” :rolleyes:

I must admit, I don’t overly understand that part of the press release. If Somerset are concerned about running at a loss, then what difference does running a shortened or full campaign make? That doesn’t make any sense but backs up claims of growing unrest in recent weeks between different teams and promotions. I completely understand the impact of COVID on the Oak Tree Bar and Food outlets which obviously helps subsidise the speedway so not sure how or why a shortened or full campaign play a part in that?

A sad day. I think one of the most disappointing things is there has been next to no communication to Somerset fans for months about plans and genuine news like other teams in the country have managed, bar some promises and “facts” posted on here... then on the day of the AGM they are dealt a sucker punch that their team is pulling out regardless of the reasons given. With concerns about running at a loss, it makes you wonder if we’ve now seen the last ever laps of speedway at the Oak Tree Arena. Over 2 years without racing will be incredibly hard to come back from.

So a "complete fixture list" would be OK, but one that wasn't would run at a loss?

Confused....

Maybe they could run some 'open meetings' when (if) crowds are allowed in?

Seems daft having tracks lie idle at a time when Speedway starved fans will be very interested in attending Speedway meetings..