British Speedway Forum

The ONLY good thing that could possibly come from Somerset closing would be the return of the Bristol Bulldogs. Don't think it was ever going to happen with the Rebels running but I can't think of a better gamble to reintroduce speedway in the U.K.  

Guest compost
2 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

I notice there is a banger/stock car track, The Mendips Raceway, Somerset. Could the track ever be used for speedway? Sometimes a joint operation with bangers and speedway do not work, Skegness as an example. :unsure: 

Isn't it comparitevly close to Bristol ?  Wouldn't the lot looking at a new venue in Bristol from a couple of years back not looked at this one ?  Does look awfully basic - a bit like Smeatharpe stock track near (ish) Taunton.

22 hours ago, compost said:

Isn't it comparitevly close to Bristol ?  Wouldn't the lot looking at a new venue in Bristol from a couple of years back not looked at this one ?  Does look awfully basic - a bit like Smeatharpe stock track near (ish) Taunton.

Don’t think there is a rush to invest your cash in Speedway these days,it’s a sure way of losing it.

• Like 1

The Mendip Raceway is very basic, very remote, on top of the Mendips down narrow lanes and in my opinion a non-starter. Does anyone know if the site at Avonmouth still exists in an undeveloped form?

Mendip Raceway is a tarmac track.

15 hours ago, Rich said:

Mendip Raceway is a tarmac track.

While it is possible to lay shale on top of a tarmac track as has been done at Northampton, it has to be remembered that the South Western based F2 Stock Car drivers do not like shale and would not be happy to have one of their tracks changed to shale. 

41 minutes ago, eric i said:

Could they not put a track in the middle?

I have never been to Mendips Raceway but understand that that the bends of the current track are tight and also the track is on the side of a hill. Sadly I do not think it would be possible to have a speedway track either on or inside the current track. 

EDIT:- I have just had a look at some photos from Mendips Raceway and maybe the bends are not too tight for an inside track but the centre green area appears to be raised which means a lot of earth moving would be needed. 

Edited by Chris116
More information

image.jpeg.83c3e0511afab076519295da9607c495.jpeg

I think the cars use the track like a figure of 8 sometimes so I am not sure they would want it ripped up and speedway track put in.

If the stock cars were keen to get some rent money, the main issue would be noise although it is next to a quarry and some distance from any houses.

Some years ago, the potential promotors of Bristol did seem to be making slow and steady progress after identifying a possible site for a new track in Avonmouth, but perhaps the development at Somerset was part of the reason why this was not persued. I'm not sure how far apart Highbridge and Avonmouth are, but I'd image that speedway at Somerset relied a good deal of support from the Bristol area?

Perhaps now that Somerset has sadly been lost, this might be a good time for those who were working to revive Bristol to have another go?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eric i said:

I think the cars use the track like a figure of 8 sometimes so I am not sure they would want it ripped up and speedway track put in.

If the stock cars were keen to get some rent money, the main issue would be noise although it is next to a quarry and some distance from any houses.

The figure 8 track is only used by Bangers. The Stock Cars only use the oval track. 

On 6/5/2021 at 1:03 PM, eric i said:

Why? Have you heard the noise that stock cars make?

3 hours ago, Sotonian said:

Why? Have you heard the noise that stock cars make?

Yes but do they have have any restrictions on how many times they can run a year?