British Speedway Forum
DC2

How about a 10 week Premier League season?

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

About 3 I think. But I live more than 30 miles from the track and I have to work in London on Fridays. So I tend to only go to Monday meetings.

And yet you would object to a ten week season with 7 to 9 home matches? I’m not quite getting that.

I can understand more committed fans like Sidney and Steve Shovlar initially protesting that it would be too short but I think that even they might enjoy a more intense season with more reason to go to every home and away match to get their fix and the possibility of CL or NL matches to top up their season to 30 fixtures.

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

And yet you would object to a ten week season with 7 to 9 home matches? I’m not quite getting that.

I can understand more committed fans like Sidney and Steve Shovlar initially protesting that it would be too short but I think that even they might enjoy a more intense season with more reason to go to every home and away match to get their fix and the possibility of CL or NL matches to top up their season to 30 fixtures.

Because the World isn't just about me.

No offence, but a ten week season is mental.

Speaking of me, as we were, it's still good for me to follow the season over a longer period of time and watch it on telly on a Monday.

8 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Yes.

17 quid to get in.

17/13 = £1.31 per race

17/15 = £1.13 per race.

So it's better value by 18p per race.

The one thing with the old 13 race format, though, I'll admit, is it gives you plenty of 9 point riders - so people think the league is stronger even though it isn't.

Yep but if you base your calculations of £25 a meeting for 15 heats its then not value for money.

Everyone has to play their part for the longevity of the sport

Riders riding 13 heats means less maintenance but slightly less earning capacity

Promoters will save on a reduced 13 heat format, less wages to pay, if they can keep sponsorship the same amount etc. That helps keep clubs more financially healthy 

Fans can either pay more for the product or it is reduced slightly to the good old days of 13 heats and fans do their bit

As for the original idea of the poster...

Can't see why the premier league can't start in a cup/group format in April to May with the final in September with some league fixtures starting in May also

Then the championship/NL can start late May until mid July with play offs end of July

The Premiership then resumes Mid July til end of August with plays offs in September 

Would make it easier doubling up, fans of the PL clubs may go watch other clubs during the "summer break" when some of the international meetings are also on

When the CL/NL is finished then these fans may boost attendances locally at PL tracks

I dont think it works at present with 3 leagues all running at the same time

Just now, Falcon1983 said:

Yep but if you base your calculations of £25 a meeting for 15 heats its then not value for money.

Just as well it's not 25 quid a meeting then.

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

How about a more intense season condensed into just ten or twelve weeks with 8 or 10 clubs riding against each other just twice (home and away) and with a home meeting every week, culminating in the play offs and grand final?

May to July or June to August.

It should focus the interest of the media and speedway fans and encourage more of them to travel to away matches. 

10 week season? How will they fit in all the matches when they have loads of fixtures are post poned because football is on the telly???

19 minutes ago, RS50 said:

10 week season? How will they fit in all the matches when they have loads of fixtures are post poned because football is on the telly???

Postponed? Why? All you need is fixture management, with all PL teams willing to ride on a Mon or a Thurs as necessary. That would cover rain offs too.

Prefer mid April till end of Aug with the playoffs in Sept, 18 weeks of league racing, then playoffs and whatever comp the rest of the league want in Sept 

4 hours ago, DC2 said:

Postponed? Why? All you need is fixture management, with all PL teams willing to ride on a Mon or a Thurs as necessary. That would cover rain offs too.

2018 fixtures called off because of football world cup. 2019 fixture called off due to that Liverpool Tottenham match. Presume England will be in next year's football European cup.

10 hours ago, Supersub said:

Let's be sensible, May to September makes sense

Or even start April, Play Offs end of September. 1 match home and away.

adopt the Polish system of play offs for top half of the table and bottom half.

a 10 week season is beyond crazy and none workable.

4 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Or even start April, Play Offs end of September. 1 match home and away.

adopt the Polish system of play offs for top half of the table and bottom half.

a 10 week season is beyond crazy and none workable.

“1 match home and away over six months” - how many teams in your league, Steve?

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

“1 match home and away over six months” - how many teams in your league, Steve?

Assuming 8 teams.......

7 home matches 

7 away matches

———————

top half/bottom half split

3 home

3 away

—————————

play offs for top 4 - 1 or 2 extra matches

bottom 4 race for positions 5-8. Giving at least 2 extra matches.

thats 12 home matches race every other week = 6 months.

add in a KO Cup competition or inter league competition if required.

11 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

What if they say "less is more so let's call it £25 to watch speedway" as it's only a dozen meetings people will pay it

I'm not entirely sure they would to be honest, I think cost is actually one of the major factors behind why crowds are falling so increasing it to silly amounts would probably kill it completely within a season or two.

Could one answer to the question of a condensed season for conventional speedway be for teams to run using current machines and call it formula one and those clubs who want to see costs reduced adopt the formula 2 machines. I guess most riders have more than one bike so to have a high spec machine for F1 and an F2 machine costing less in maintenance etc. could be a way to keep riders happy with regular meetings from an income perspective, supporters who want a weekly fix with two tier admission depending on the formula. Standard F2 machines could attract mainstream engine manufacturers as sponsors. Something needs to be done to try and keep all parties interested  particularly in the summer months but those making the rules must insist that for F1,  the cut off dates will not change so league fixtures/standings as at the end of the first week of September will determine the teams in the playoffs which must take place in the second and third week of September and the final in the fourth week. F2 will be a straight forward league format with the top team being crowned champions. F2 could run a cup competition or something like an 4TT and/or a nationwide individual U.K. championship open to home based and overseas riders.