British Speedway Forum
DC2

How about a 10 week Premier League season?

8 hours ago, crazysue said:

probably kill it completely within a season or two.

That is on the cards now.  No sport can go on hiding behind a total crowd level of less than 20,000 across the whole UK. Speedway in the UK is no longer sustainable, as we have known it.  If we are fortunate something like F2, on a semi-pro basis, will emerge from the death throes of domestic league racing.

19 hours ago, DC2 said:

And yet you would object to a ten week season with 7 to 9 home matches? I’m not quite getting that.

I can understand more committed fans like Sidney and Steve Shovlar initially protesting that it would be too short but I think that even they might enjoy a more intense season with more reason to go to every home and away match to get their fix and the possibility of CL or NL matches to top up their season to 30 fixtures.

I think it is a interesting  idea DC2 well worth looking into there was one period in the season where we had quite a few meeting's close together and personally that is what i like.

Edited by Sidney the robin

Wouldn't totally be against something like this. Add in a meaningful KO CUP and trophy at the end of the season, and a 3 round british final series shared around different tracks every year and the meetings soon add up again. 

On 10/16/2019 at 9:42 AM, DC2 said:

How about a more intense season condensed into just ten or twelve weeks with 8 or 10 clubs riding against each other just twice (home and away) and with a home meeting every week, culminating in the play offs and grand final?

May to July or June to August.

It should focus the interest of the media and speedway fans and encourage more of them to travel to away matches. 

You don't half come out with some junk  DC. 8-10 teams :rofl:

Edited by Starman2006

While 10 weeks is to short a season, 20 week season would be a realistic target. 

What is baffling, especially in the Premiership is the lack of fixtures in July & August. The months kids are off school and more free family time the Speedway season seems to go into shutdown.

If anything, the BSPA needs to make these two months in the year are jam packed with fixtures. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

While 10 weeks is to short a season, 20 week season would be a realistic target. 

What is baffling, especially in the Premiership is the lack of fixtures in July & August. The months kids are off school and more free family time the Speedway season seems to go into shutdown.

If anything, the BSPA needs to make these two months in the year are jam packed with fixtures. 

Absolutely, and how about making the last round of meetings on the Bank Holiday Monday at the end of August? Then we can get in with the Play Offs in early September. 

• Like 1

Would like to see 18 team league..and fixtures April-September.

20 hours ago, RS50 said:

2018 fixtures called off because of football world cup. 2019 fixture called off due to that Liverpool Tottenham match. Presume England will be in next year's football European cup.

Yes, that’s why we need fixture management.

I don’t know if they do it now but someone needs to sit down before organising the fixture list and consider what clashes there would be with other sports.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Yes, that’s why we need fixture management.

I don’t know if they do it now but someone needs to sit down before organising the fixture list and consider what clashes there would be with other sports.

They don't. Just call off fixtures and stick 2 fingers up to those who wanted to go.

17 hours ago, crazysue said:

I'm not entirely sure they would to be honest, I think cost is actually one of the major factors behind why crowds are falling so increasing it to silly amounts would probably kill it completely within a season or two.

That's why I said everyone has to do their bit

All as important as each other the sport can't continue with the combination of

- Clubs

- Riders

- Fans

If we drop to 13 heats it's less mechanical costs for riders over the season, only a little saving of course however less heats is also less income so that's their sacrifice right there

People want weekly speedway which for me would be £25 a meeting with programme with a little bit of food perhaps 

That would be £100 per month for 4 regular meetings...

Now if it was £25 including programme and I go twice plus but a little bit of food that's £60 per month

For the sport you love would you not pay the extra £20 I would

Then it's down to the club to use the extra revenue and less cost to lay the foundations for the club to be enjoyed by future generations 

On 10/16/2019 at 11:03 AM, Grachan said:

A 2 month Speedway season? You cannot be serious!

Maybe do like other sports, though, and be home one week, away the next.

way too sensible . that would also spread the costs over the season for the fans . ...my , are we lucky , paying good money to watch riders earn a very healthy wage  while they screw the sport into the weeds and whats left is taken by the need n greed  in charge of the sport .

man you ,  get 60.000 fans a week or so i was told. . my reply was . no they dont , the get 60.000 every two weeks . football does it , why not speedway  and sack off all those 3/4/5 week breaks in the middle of summer !

On 10/16/2019 at 10:51 AM, Steve Shovlar said:

Rubbish idea.  Sorry.

Works really well for Indian premier league cricket

Doesn’t matter how many fixtures or when really if people will not turn up to watch, it’s ok having these great crowds for the play off finals but where are those fans in the months before hand? Can’t tell me Swindon have been getting crowds like tonight all season long!
Same for all clubs in this same scenario and look at my own club Lakeside, packed out for the final meeting. Where was all those fans when we needed them?

People need to start backing their clubs properly and not just when they feel like it.

8 minutes ago, marko said:

Doesn’t matter how many fixtures or when really if people will not turn up to watch, it’s ok having these great crowds for the play off finals but where are those fans in the months before hand? Can’t tell me Swindon have been getting crowds like tonight all season long!

That’s the whole point. A ten week season with weekly home meetings would keep the enthusiasm for fans to attend rather than the current over-long, stop-start season with three or four week breaks between some fixtures and April and October rain offs which causes fans to lose interest.

• Like 2

I think this is a very good idea.

No need to panic, that speedway would be all over and done with in just ten weeks a year. There would still be more speedway in the UK before and after the 10 week league season. Each club could decide for themselves on how many other meetings and how long a season they would want to run (individual, Pairs, Regional Teams comps, maybe a k.o.-cup, and of course the national Championships and international events).

But the League would be an uninterrupted action packed 10 weeks in the summer time. I'd like it like that ! :) 

• Like 2