British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Len raised the prices last year after signing Drew and stating £1000+ kevlar suits and rising riders costs were to blame (Kemp wore a JC Pro that costs circa £600 all season). There was a big reliance on Kemp hitting the big time last season to bring trophies to Kent and it was the steadily improving Rowe who shone through. 

But overall Len must of balanced the books and knowing him he made a profit how long has he survived in a cutthroat business.On Anders Sing's how do think he will do??? i am a bit nervous it could be a bit early but it could go the other way the experience will bring him on.Really want him to be on the pace i have followed his career since he first rode on the mini Abbey track and he has made steady progress.The positive thing i look at is even the great Mark Loram averaged under 4 in his maiden season so I don't think Rosco will expect to much.The biggest thing i think that Anders has to do is be tough on the first bend stand his ground the first bend for me is the big difference between all of the division's.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DC2 said:

King, Nielsen, Worrall, Bjerre, Ellis, MacDonald & Bowtell.

Nielsen and Bjerre should add a point each.

Right up there with Redcar and Leicester.

Any idea why Bjerre was so poor last year? It’s often said there are no false averages in this league, unless affected by long term injury, but Bjerre lost over a point. 
An injury free Nielsen will hold his average, but I’m not sure there’s much more to come, not on a consistent basis anyway. He’s a nice lad and I’d like to see him do well, but he’s been “up and coming” for a long while now. 
Of the suggested 1-7 (including Bjerre and Bowtell) maybe McDonald is young enough to improve but I’d be astonished to see much increase from the other 6. Poole used to be the team of innovation, of new faces, but that’s not the case in 2020. We’ll, not the original declaration anyway.....:D

33 minutes ago, DC2 said:

King, Nielsen, Worrall, Bjerre, Ellis, MacDonald & Bowtell.

Nielsen and Bjerre should add a point each.

Right up there with Redcar and Leicester.

I think that even if Poole top 3 are matched the important team winning could come down at the reserve area. 

Macdonald finished the season at Sheffield in the more difficult 2 slot and looking at many of the reserves in Champs he could well add to his current GSA in a short period of time. If Bowtell were signed, then as a H/L in N/L in 2018 and also having ridden for Eastbourne 2019 and done ok before injury, he could take plenty of points off a lot of the other N/L riders coming in at reserve. Many who are still in early stages of their careers. Bowtell also seems to be improving  each season he starts. Bearing in mind he only started with Rye House and Mildenhall in N/L 2015/16.

Ultimately and as we all know, the Leagues are not won in the first 6 months of the season. The important thing is to keep in the top 6 for the all important play offs. Win your home matches and pick up points as you can away form home. Such a team should be more than capable of picking up 1/2/3 and even the odd 4 pointer away which would be sufficient to qualify as long as they perform at home and hopefully stay relatively injury free.  Especially in the case of both Worrall and Nielsen who have taken a few knocks last 2/3 seasons.

Bjerre is an 8 point potential rider in a settled team if you look at his stats in 2017/18. Providing he sets his mind to i,t as I would argue that at 5.87 in  team that was close to the bottom all season, he is well capable of better and his historical av even shows it. 

Edited by STEVEHOLS54
typo

22 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Would it?

All 3 of Swindon's heatleaders were better than anyone in that side.

Pretty sure Musielak was fifth in Swindon's averages, below Ellis.

I'm guessing the only place where that team is better is at reserve.

Drabik, Hampel, Woryna are all far better riders than Jensen and Ellis. 

Drabik and hampel are better than batch. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

But overall Len must of balanced the books and knowing him he made a profit how long has he survived in a cutthroat business.On Anders Sing's how do think he will do??? i am a bit nervous it could be a bit early but it could go the other way the experience will bring him on.Really want him to be on the pace i have followed his career since he first rode on the mini Abbey track and he has made steady progress.The positive thing i look at is even the great Mark Loram averaged under 4 in his maiden season so I don't think Rosco will expect to much.The biggest thing i think that Anders has to do is be tough on the first bend stand his ground the first bend for me is the big difference between all of the division's.

I have no doubt he did make a profit but the business model of upping prices can only go so far.

Anders should continue to build steadily, he does need to move out to the dirt and learn to ride wider as currently he is an expert on the white line and slicker surfaces but that experience will build. I find that he is the type of rider that finds something that works and sticks with it a while and only changes when its no longer quick enough.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:11 AM, DC2 said:

And what difference does that make?

In fact it’s rather stupid, limiting the club’s choices.

We don't lose any/much money? 

8 hours ago, Gavan said:

Poole team looks likely to make the play offs but the top 3 on paper are only the 6th best heat leader trio

Eastbourne, Edinburgh, Leicester, Redcar and Somerset all have a stronger top 3 based on averages

I know its not just the heat leaders that bring titles but people saying Poole have a strong top 3 are right , but there is stronger for sure

I dont see much improvement in King and Worrall but for sure Ellis is a great signing

Poole should make it into the play offs and then who knows from there

You can't get a lot stronger with all 3 heat leaders being Number 1's in their respective 2019 teams and also riding Premiership!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Any idea why Bjerre was so poor last year? It’s often said there are no false averages in this league, unless affected by long term injury, but Bjerre lost over a point. 
An injury free Nielsen will hold his average, but I’m not sure there’s much more to come, not on a consistent basis anyway. He’s a nice lad and I’d like to see him do well, but he’s been “up and coming” for a long while now. 
Of the suggested 1-7 (including Bjerre and Bowtell) maybe McDonald is young enough to improve but I’d be astonished to see much increase from the other 6. Poole used to be the team of innovation, of new faces, but that’s not the case in 2020. We’ll, not the original declaration anyway.....:D

Look at his early season stats he had so many retirements. 

With the Poole coffers not what they once were, why would you give up possibly your biggest pay-day of the season for a testimonial?

With Middlo's renowned rider connections a barren date would be far better date for the man himself. A top quality line-up (with some riders not U.K. based) would be reflected by a huge crowd. 

Is Good Friday still the likely date of Midlos testimonial?
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CountyGround said:

With the Poole coffers not what they once were, why would you give up possibly your biggest pay-day of the season for a testimonial?

With Middlo's renowned rider connections a barren date would be far better date for the man himself. A top quality line-up (with some riders not U.K. based) would be reflected by a huge crowd. 

Is Good Friday still the likely date of Midlos testimonial?

Not sure until the fixtures come out. The date was announced before the decision to go Championship!!

A nice juicy home match against Eastbourne in the evening would be better.

13 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

You can't get a lot stronger with all 3 heat leaders being Number 1's in their respective 2019 teams and also riding Premiership!!

But based on averages there are better heat leader trios thats all im saying.

Ellis is a good signing but King isnt likely to improve his average and Worrall could because simply he will be riding at number 3.

Redcar for example have the best heat leader trio by some way in my opinion and i would also say Somerset and possibly Leicester are at least on a par with Poole

But as i said its how the rest of the team is built

54 minutes ago, Gavan said:

But based on averages there are better heat leader trios thats all im saying.

Ellis is a good signing but King isnt likely to improve his average and Worrall could because simply he will be riding at number 3.

Redcar for example have the best heat leader trio by some way in my opinion and i would also say Somerset and possibly Leicester are at least on a par with Poole

But as i said its how the rest of the team is built

Somerset? 

BWD, Schlien and Barker are nowhere near the three we have. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Somerset? 

Of course they arent , hes on a wind up for god sake.

Pooles top three look pretty good... you know with King he will average 8.5-9, Ellis is only going one way and Worrall even if he doesnt regain his pre injury form averaged over 7 from the number 1 berth in a poor side last year. 

9 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Somerset? 

Agreed that 3 is never on par,probably 1 of the weaker ht leader trios,but agree redcars top 3 is the best in the league,wright and riss are pretty formidable at this level.