British Speedway Forum

12 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

We have a very good team so far, the final 2 pieces of the jigsaw will be massive and show our intent. I know people keep saying our 3 heat leaders will be good for 30-35 points a match but we cant always rely on that. Poor form and mechanical issues and we will need the back up riders to step up. 

I'm hoping for a couple of new comers to the UK. The reason for this is the whole team so far aren't our assets (I know we have plenty out on loan) but it will be nice to use the opportunity while in the championship to bring in some new comers and bring them on when we step back up to the Premiership.

Personally I'm hoping we don't go with Todd Kurtz or Grondel both riders have in my opinion peaked over the past 5 years and sit around the 5 point average each year, hence my reason to bring someone in who could put a point or two on their starting average. The latter I know had a bad injury but his form this year was poor and his Aussie meetings have not been any better. 

I am also hopeful it is not Kurtz as like you I agree he has never pushed on and is what he is which is a just over 5 point rider.

The problem we have IF Bjerre  doesn't want to ride here (which is the last rumour I heard knocking around) is that there only seems to be Kurtz left who rode here in 2019 and even then it leaves us short of a 4 point  rider in the last reserve slot. It would be a shame as Bjerre has proved he can be a 7 plus and even 8 point rider looking at his av all the way back to 2013 which is 7 seasons and remember he is still only 26. Last season was a blip in a poor Newcastle team so that is 1 season out of 7 he has been below a 7 to 8 point av.

We do not have to my knowledge any of the World Class young U21 finalist riders willing to come here without issues of mechanic/bikes/high commuting and living costs associated with all the travel. Any of those on a 5 would still leave us 0.03 short of a 4 point rider in the last reserve slot although appreciate there are at least 3/4 decent N/L heat leaders not signed up yet to Champ clubs.

Not sure if Matt/Danny are having a problem filling that last but oh so important slot which really could make the difference in 2020. 

Would be happy to hear on any decent rider/s who may be close to signing as if its not Bjerre than maybe Bowtell will not be on the agenda, as Alfie would have just fitted with Bjerre's arguably falsely low av by his standards. A change to a 5 point spot on rider would arguably give better 2nd reserve options. Just an opinion of course.

I would say if Bjerre did want to come he would be a steal on that average, but like you say rumours suggest he does not want to do UK in 2020. The issue is if we go with a 5.00 it leaves us with 3.97 for the final rider, short of the 4.00 we need to attract another Aussie over. 

So for me I would go with a 5.50-6.00 point rider and fill the final place with a young English rider coming up through. What's JPB doing now? 

4.96 with Zaine Kennedy or Zane Keleher is a huge gamble. Cant go with 4 riders on averages under 5.00.

Poole are in a bit of a bother with the final two imo. 

Rumoured names on this thread doesn't make for good reading. Emil Grondal is no good as POP said he's peaked and neither is Todd Kurtz been around for years and never done anything. Ideally Poole need Lasse Bjerre to have a change of heart otherwise the 1-7 could fall apart if they have to go with a weak tail.

3 minutes ago, Rockstar99 said:

4.96 with Zaine Kennedy or Zane Keleher is a huge gamble. Cant go with 4 riders on averages under 5.00.

Rumoured names on this thread doesn't make for good reading. Emil Grondal is no good as POP said he's peaked and neither is Todd Kurtz been around for years and never done anything. Ideally Poole need Lasse Bjerre to have a change of heart otherwise the 1-7 could fall apart if they have to go with a weak tail.

Someone as temperamental as Lasse Bjerre is a big gamble ,seems to have upset a few at most Teams he has rode for.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

I would say if Bjerre did want to come he would be a steal on that average, but like you say rumours suggest he does not want to do UK in 2020. The issue is if we go with a 5.00 it leaves us with 3.97 for the final rider, short of the 4.00 we need to attract another Aussie over. 

So for me I would go with a 5.50-6.00 point rider and fill the final place with a young English rider coming up through. What's JPB doing now? 

not so sure JPB is the answer to your problem , all the talent in the world but how many times has he just up and quit teams already in his short career ?

4 minutes ago, Rockstar99 said:

I agree on the Bjerre front. Not sure what money being thrown at him but heard was a good offer.

The big problem is WHAT could  we get at 5 i.e a proven young Dane or Czech who showed what they can do in the World U21 Finals is one risk but an untried/unproven Young Dane is quite another. Suppose what a dead on 5 gives us is a choice from the proven N/L H/L such as Morley/Woods/Hume followed by Kinsley & Bowtell. The first 3 would in the main beat many/most of the N/L reserves named in Champ which along with Josh Mac would still give a decent reserve pairing. The last 2 named should at least beat as many as get beaten on any given week against these N/L riders.

The other issue we have even if we wanted 2 Aussie reserves is that we would be 0.07 short for a 5 point assessed rider which is again frustrating but that's the rules.

• Like 1

Just now, Fromafar said:

Someone as temperamental as Lasse Bjerre is a big gamble ,seems to have upset a few at most Teams he has rode for.

Upset a lot of teams lol. Still one of those riders who can reach the 7+ mark if he's in the right frame of mind though. 

Me personally. I would rather take a chance on Bjerre's temper knowing if he's happy he can score highly rather than signing a Emil Grondal or Todd Kurtz knowing they wont do anything.

rider who's worth looking at if he is willing to ride in the UK is Victor Palovaara. He's decent in this league and capable of scoring big points. Would have to go with a Brit reserve around the 2.00 - 2.70 mark though.

2 minutes ago, Rockstar99 said:

Upset a lot of teams lol. Still one of those riders who can reach the 7+ mark if he's in the right frame of mind though. 

Me personally. I would rather take a chance on Bjerre's temper knowing if he's happy he can score highly rather than signing a Emil Grondal or Todd Kurtz knowing they wont do anything.

rider who's worth looking at if he is willing to ride in the UK is Victor Palovaara. He's decent in this league and capable of scoring big points. Would have to go with a Brit reserve around the 2.00 - 2.70 mark though.

Surprised Palovaara has not been snapped up.Maybe doesn’t fancy UK.

• Like 1

Just my opinion I think Poole need to sacrifice the 2nd Aussie reserve they're rumoured to want.

If one of those top three have a bad night with mechanical issues or something then the tail end is not strong enough to compensate. 

Poole need a decent No.4 who has got the potential to become a No.3 or is someone who is at least capable of scoring 6+ a meeting to back up the HL's.

Tail full of riders on 4.00 - 4.50 is very weak. 

Worth giving the reserve slot to a young Brit and then try and get someone like Palovaara or Grobauer over for the No.4 slot if Bjerre doesn't change his mind.

10 minutes ago, Rockstar99 said:

Others worth considering.

Jonas B. Andersen on a 5.91

Michael Haertel was given an assessed 5.20 in 2018 so maybe he's worth giving a ring. 

Andersen not for me. At 27 not really progressing and arguably we might as well sign Kurtz and get a better quality reserve. Think Kurtz may also get 2.5% reduction having ridden in old N/L but not 100% sure. Still wouldn't want either option.

There was a rumour not long ago that Haertel might sign for KL or Ippo (his previous Uk team) in Prem but havent heard any more. Is he that good?? as we  didnt get a real chance to see although he only achieved a 4 in those matches he did ride. Think there are better 5 point young foreigners but like everything, do any of them want to do UK ??

Think the Ford's have their work cut out on this one  which may mean it drags on a while before concluding. It would concern me though like you if we were to end up with a long tail in the team.

One Aussie I would like to see in our team is Matthew Gilmore who looks best of the young crop coming out. Only 19 has already showed flashes in his short flying trip to POL in 2019. Has won a World youngster title in Europe and is already signed up for Leszno Nursery team for the next 2 years.

Is he ready for Uk yet. Well if POL willing to accept him with open arms you sometimes have to take a punt. A similar route to Lidsey maybe.

1 minute ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Andersen not for me. At 27 not really progressing and arguably we might as well sign Kurtz and get a better quality reserve. Think Kurtz may also get 2.5% reduction having ridden in old N/L but not 100% sure. Still wouldn't want either option.

There was a rumour not long ago that Haertel might sign for KL or Ippo (his previous Uk team) in Prem but havent heard any more. Is he that good?? as we  didnt get a real chance to see although he only achieved a 4 in those matches he did ride. Think there are better 5 point young foreigners but like everything, do any of them want to do UK ??

Think the Ford's have their work cut out on this one  which may mean it drags on a while before concluding. It would concern me though like you if we were to end up with a long tail in the team.

The secret is to take a chance with unknown on low average( e.g.young Aussie)and hope they come good.All  the known name are on an average for a reason.Unlikely to improve it much.IMO 

19 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

One Aussie I would like to see in our team is Matthew Gilmore who looks best of the young crop coming out. Only 19 has already showed flashes in his short flying trip to POL in 2019. Has won a World youngster title in Europe and is already signed up for Leszno Nursery team for the next 2 years.

Is he ready for Uk yet. Well if POL willing to accept him with open arms you sometimes have to take a punt. A similar route to Lidsey maybe.

Matty  Gilmore is/was certainly under consideration but its the Number 4 position average that will dictate the final riders.