British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

King,       Nielsen,  , Ellis, ,  Jeppesen ,  Worrall,  , Macdonald,  Hume    would that look half decent.???              Going back to the Australian's  Cook, Macdonald, Kennedy, Zeleher, , Thomsen, how many of those will average six .? If i had a punt i  think Gilmore could end up riding for Poole at some stage and he would be a terrific asset longterm.

I may be wrong, but I think even Poole are stumped on what to do next with allegedly 8.97 left for 2 riders. 

Bjerre and a N/L heat leader seemed the obvious move after Hansen allegedly couldnt find a mechanic (and whatever other reason having apparently said he wanted to come over). With Bjerre allegedly saying no and not supposedly riding UK they are a bit up in the air. Todd Kurtz (while not my choice as not improving) could have been a safe option plus a N/L rider at reserve. ut his GSA with 2.5% reduction for his N/L days = 5,29 only leaves 3.68 only allowing say Hume or Bowtell who are reasonable N/L H/L who MAY hold there own against other N/L reserves.

There sure are risks signing another 2 Aussies, but seems little in way of options available. Get the impression no young established World class 21 or under Euro riders want to come in on a 5 as one would think they would have been signed by now. There are perhaps not Word Class Danes etc but I think they would struggle to get their 5 assessed av and leaves us yet again just short of a 4 balance meaning we can't sign an Aussie (unless one with UK Family connection to allow the 2.5%). Meaning again maybe only another N/L option which would incl the above plus Morley.

Having 2 Aussies may make us a bit stronger at reserve but also pressure on the one in the main team. We could end up with 3 H/L plus 4 x 4 pointers (2 assessed) which means we don't use up that last 0.97 plus arguably leaves us weak in the tail if one doesn't hit the ground running.

A real conundrum for Poole as history tells us from our Prem days the last few years that it isn't that often that your 3 so called H/L all score big in each meeting on the same day.

Why do I think that Keleher is nailed on (providing he does not bomb out completely in the 5 round Aussie Champ), but who else besides him wants to come over. Kennedy we know seems gutted nobody wants him back this year, and then what of the young riders Gilmore (my first choice) - Hook/List /Rew (just back from bad injury in POL last early May and recently announced signed again for Leszno nursery team as also Gilmore - plus signed up in DK again.

The question I suppose is 1) Do any of them wan to come over and 2) Do Poole want to bring over a really promising one and if so which one of those available. My choice would be Gilmore who has shown World title wining class in the very young rider class and also did very well in the few meetings he rode for Steiner in POL Junior league last season. Looks on the up and arguably the right age to push on. Of course any one of Hook/List & Rew could push on but is it maybe a year or two too early for them. Rew I doubt as still only 16 I think and already said he has contracts signed for Steiner in POL & in DK for 2020. Maybe wants to ease his way back in after the nasty injury wiped out his 2019 season from May and think maybe still not back yet. As for Hook & List they look closely matched on recent form so not much between them on recent form. List went thru 5 rides unbeaten in recent U21 meeting but then Hook won the final and held off List under a lot of pressure.

2 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I may be wrong, but I think even Poole are stumped on what to do next with allegedly 8.97 left for 2 riders. 

Bjerre and a N/L heat leader seemed the obvious move after Hansen allegedly couldnt find a mechanic (and whatever other reason having apparently said he wanted to come over). With Bjerre allegedly saying no and not supposedly riding UK they are a bit up in the air. Todd Kurtz (while not my choice as not improving) could have been a safe option plus a N/L rider at reserve. ut his GSA with 2.5% reduction for his N/L days = 5,29 only leaves 3.68 only allowing say Hume or Bowtell who are reasonable N/L H/L who MAY hold there own against other N/L reserves.

There sure are risks signing another 2 Aussies, but seems little in way of options available. Get the impression no young established World class 21 or under Euro riders want to come in on a 5 as one would think they would have been signed by now. There are perhaps not Word Class Danes etc but I think they would struggle to get their 5 assessed av and leaves us yet again just short of a 4 balance meaning we can't sign an Aussie (unless one with UK Family connection to allow the 2.5%). Meaning again maybe only another N/L option which would incl the above plus Morley.

Having 2 Aussies may make us a bit stronger at reserve but also pressure on the one in the main team. We could end up with 3 H/L plus 4 x 4 pointers (2 assessed) which means we don't use up that last 0.97 plus arguably leaves us weak in the tail if one doesn't hit the ground running.

A real conundrum for Poole as history tells us from our Prem days the last few years that it isn't that often that your 3 so called H/L all score big in each meeting on the same day.

Why do I think that Keleher is nailed on (providing he does not bomb out completely in the 5 round Aussie Champ), but who else besides him wants to come over. Kennedy we know seems gutted nobody wants him back this year, and then what of the young riders Gilmore (my first choice) - Hook/List /Rew (just back from bad injury in POL last early May and recently announced signed again for Leszno nursery team as also Gilmore - plus signed up in DK again.

The question I suppose is 1) Do any of them wan to come over and 2) Do Poole want to bring over a really promising one and if so which one of those available. My choice would be Gilmore who has shown World title wining class in the very young rider class and also did very well in the few meetings he rode for Steiner in POL Junior league last season. Looks on the up and arguably the right age to push on. Of course any one of Hook/List & Rew could push on but is it maybe a year or two too early for them. Rew I doubt as still only 16 I think and already said he has contracts signed for Steiner in POL & in DK for 2020. Maybe wants to ease his way back in after the nasty injury wiped out his 2019 season from May and think maybe still not back yet. As for Hook & List they look closely matched on recent form so not much between them on recent form. List went thru 5 rides unbeaten in recent U21 meeting but then Hook won the final and held off List under a lot of pressure.

Has anyone got the first option on Maurice Brown Steve for his longterm future plans.? Quite away off i know but it soon creeps around as i found with Connor Bailey. I have followed his progress closely and all of a sudden he was over here for Glasgow/ Belle Vue he looks a  real talent.

15 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Has anyone got the first option on Maurice Brown Steve for his longterm future plans.? Quite away off i know but it soon creeps around as i found with Connor Bailey. I have followed his progress closely and all of a sudden he was over here for Glasgow/ Belle Vue he looks a  real talent.

This lad has passed me by to be honest. 

I tend to look more at the youngsters who are already on the scene and 16 plus such as List/Hook/Rew etc, plus others ready to maybe jump to the next level such as Gilmore/Zach Cook.

Browns FB page indicates he is going the right way though.

Edited by STEVEHOLS54
typo

Poole have had discussions with at least 3 Aussies about a 2020 team place.  These have been 'recommended' by the likes of Darcy Ward, Craig Boyce and Jason Crump for consideration and the Aussie Championship rounds plus  some other individual meetings should provide some evidence of their current abilities.

17 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Poole have had discussions with at least 3 Aussies about a 2020 team place.  These have been 'recommended' by the likes of Darcy Ward, Craig Boyce and Jason Crump for consideration and the Aussie Championship rounds plus  some other individual meetings should provide some evidence of their current abilities.

Question.

Do you think we could end up signing an additional 2 x 4 point Aussies considering the current situation ??

I ask because if we do only have 8.97 left then it kind of kicks into the long grass the poss of signing a 5 point European rider plus a 4 point Aussie imo.

This is The Championship and the League in which the majority of the brightest young prospects born bred and nurtured in the UK are racing and learning their craft.

Surely Poole could and should have invested in some young emerging UK talent?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HGould said:

This is The Championship and the League in which the majority of the brightest young prospects born bred and nurtured in the UK are racing and learning their craft.

Surely Poole could and should have invested in some young emerging UK talent?

Don't forget that Poole have been in Prem for years where most of this talent could not qualify for a place due to min requirement to make a Prem team slot.

The team have invested in their first season in Champ in 4 Brits (if you incl Nielsen as a Brit). The Promoters & the Supporters want a competitive team in this first season in Champ. Most of the up and coming talent has already been signed up with other teams. It is the responsibility of Poole to maximise the points they have left to put out a team that can compete for the Champ finals.

4 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Don't forget that Poole have been in Prem for years where most of this talent could not qualify for a place due to min requirement to make a Prem team slot.

The team have invested in their first season in Champ in 4 Brits (if you incl Nielsen as a Brit). The Promoters & the Supporters want a competitive team in this first season in Champ. Most of the up and coming talent has already been signed up with other teams. It is the responsibility of Poole to maximise the points they have left to put out a team that can compete for the Champ finals.

Fair point Steve but couldn't they have gone and tried for Drew Kemp; Jack Thomas, Kyle Bickley; Anders Rowe etc if there had been a long term plan and will to?

13 minutes ago, HGould said:

Fair point Steve but couldn't they have gone and tried for Drew Kemp; Jack Thomas, Kyle Bickley; Anders Rowe etc if there had been a long term plan and will to?

Poole have only ever been concerned about the success of the club from one season to the next and never about the progress of riders generally and British riders in particular.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

That argument doesn’t really stack up otherwise the top league would have no UK riders in it if all clubs adopted that course.

Other clubs have invested in riders as have Poole its just that they see Australians as giving better value and most certainly potential and you cannot deny that has been successful for them.

Poole are now in decline and their financial clout no longer will attract the best talent.

4 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Poole have only ever been concerned about the success of the club from one season to the next and never about the progress of riders generally and British riders in particular.

Never about the progress of riders. 

KK, Lindback, Ward, Holder, Magic all pretty good riders who let progress with us. 

57 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

we have never done brits over the years only on a small scale .this league is a totally different ball game for  the poole promotion 

51 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Never about the progress of riders. 

KK, Lindback, Ward, Holder, Magic all pretty good riders who let progress with us. 

None British, the last three were all clearly on the up regardless of who they rode for, and Poole didn’t keep faith with any of them when they could have.

For Poole it was always about signing the most opportunistic team.

8 minutes ago, DC2 said:

None British, the last three were all clearly on the up regardless of who they rode for, and Poole didn’t keep faith with any of them when they could have.

For Poole it was always about signing the most opportunistic team.

Didn’t keep faith is a bit harsh. I would say we kept faith with all. 

I don’t know that many prem clubs bar BV And Lynn who are great at Developing British riders. 

swindon have developed Adam ellis and that’s it in recent years.