British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, JCookie said:

Why on earth would anyone post this on a speedway forum? This forum is all the better for the many fans of defunct clubs who still follow GPs/Poland/Sweden/other clubs, but why bother coming on here when you've admitted to having no desire to attend another speedway meeting after a 15 year absence? I know your posts get a lot of stick on here so it should be expected, but this is just such a strange way of thinking.

I posted because I was seconding the attitude of Najier! towards modern speedway. BTW I also saw my first meeting at long defunct New Cross in April 1946.

23 minutes ago, JCookie said:

Why on earth would anyone post this on a speedway forum? This forum is all the better for the many fans of defunct clubs who still follow GPs/Poland/Sweden/other clubs, but why bother coming on here when you've admitted to having no desire to attend another speedway meeting after a 15 year absence? I know your posts get a lot of stick on here so it should be expected, but this is just such a strange way of thinking.

I sort of agree with you here....from a 'passionate' fan's perspective? having said that, just because you don't attend meetings, it doesnt stop a person watching it on TV, reading about it and still having an interest/opinion about the sport ?

I love watching Cricket, but I've never been to a 'live' match ?

Not sure if I've missed the point? :D i'm knocking on a bit : ) my first meeting was in 1971 aged 4 ! (and I still attend....) :)

14 minutes ago, JCookie said:

.......This forum is all the better for the many fans of defunct clubs who still follow GPs/Poland/Sweden/other clubs............

I have to say that I felt like you were almost talking to me personally. Thank you :cheers:

But to be honest, it took me a couple of years after Brandon closed (temporarily) to resume my former level of support for the sport. Last year I supported the auld enemy Leicester with a passion (both CL and NDL). Mind you, I might feel different if I found myself living near Poole. There are limits! :P
Having said that, I can understand how some might find moving their long held loyalties to another club. I have to admit that yesterday, when I read that there is going to be a challenge match between Leicester (CL) and a collection of riders with a Bees connection under a Coventry banner, my first thought was, "Where's my Bees gear?".

In case people don't get it, this was my attempt to lighten the mood.

12 hours ago, Argos said:

Didn’t Main Man advise him on everything including filling in is program for him, I know he never left his side during a meeting  

Yeah, he can’t fill in a programme either !

23 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Gary was an excellent team manager for Coventry, popular with the riders and very knowledgable. Good call by Poole

Your opinion 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Booey boy said:

Your opinion 

Clearly, but based on firm evidence.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Clearly, but based on firm evidence.....

I think the advice of the former promoter of Pboro is pretty good. 

27 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

I think the advice of the former promoter of Pboro is pretty good. 

Thank you, and more so as I was Promoter at Coventry when he was our team manager!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Thank you, and more so as I was Promoter at Coventry when he was our team manager!

Ok that’s even better then. I think we have a pretty good set up now. I for one am happy with the situation. 

2 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Ok that’s even better then. I think we have a pretty good set up now. I for one am happy with the situation. 

I guess is a decent option considering the other candidates able to do it i suppose.

If it was my team tho, i'd be asking is he a a real motivator away from home where they will be behind more often than not ?

And is he tactically aware enough and rulebook savvy enough to make the changes required at the right time, to not leave the team exposed at other points of the meeting etc..

Middlo has got a right touch here, cover the simple homes, and Havelock has got the aggro of the aways 

Genuine question, has he been successful on the road in his previous posts ?  

Good luck to him anyway.

3 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

I guess is a decent option considering the other candidates able to do it i suppose.

If it was my team tho, i'd be asking is he a a real motivator away from home where they will be behind more often than not ?

And is he tactically aware enough and rulebook savvy enough to make the changes required at the right time, to not leave the team exposed at other points of the meeting etc..

Middlo has got a right touch here, cover the simple homes, and Havelock has got the aggro of the aways 

Genuine question, has he been successful on the road in his previous posts ?  

Good luck to him anyway.

Sure, Gary will put his all into it. That’s what I want to see. 

Most people (not you doctor)seem to think Middlo is an average to awful manager in the U.K. so I guess it doesn’t matter anyway. 

• Haha 1

Interesting appointment. Havvy  left the Bandits under a cloud with questions being asked about his knowledge of the rule book , amongst other things. He wasn't seen much at Redcar last season with rumours of a fall out, but time will tell if this is a master stroke or just a box ticking exercise. Let's hope it's the Havvy of old and we see that smile back again. Can't wait to hear his interview at Newcastle!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Sure, Gary will put his all into it. That’s what I want to see. 

Most people (not you doctor)seem to think Middlo is an average to awful manager in the U.K. so I guess it doesn’t matter anyway. 

Oh yeh, he'll put his all into that's for sure, no doubting that.

Re Middlo, i think he's probably just found what works, and he probably looks average because he doesn't seem to do much other than belly rubbing of the riders - but it's worked for him over the years, so probably not much need to change things especially at his age. 

Don't like him as a bloke, but that's for his social escapades - speedway wise, you cant argue with his record i guess.

15 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

I Can't wait to hear his interview at Newcastle!

Will there be subtitles as personally I cant understand a word Havelock says. Must admit I find this a very odd decision.

• Like 1