British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

The future belongs to the Poles and Danes. 

Danes have plenty of talent. Fred Jakobsen, Birkenmouse(he just signed a 5 year deal with Gorzow), . Jesper Knudsen(15). Those 2 might be the dominant Force in speedway for 10 years. 

I will admit to my ignorance here as I’ve never heard of Birkenmouse and couldn’t find anything about him. My view is Freddie is limited. He might find his height is against him. And we all know that 15 year old protégés often fall by the wayside. Like Arthur Sissis or Josh Auty. But, at least we have several riders coming through - the Thompsons, the McGurks, Jordan Pailin, Drew Kemp, Leon Flint, Tom Brennan, Jason Edwards, Jordan Jenkins, Anders Rowe. Plus Dan Bewley of course. 
Shame Poole weren’t in a position to invest in the future of GB

• Like 2

roughly 70/80% young Brits have not made it above Championship level in the last 10-15 years.IMO.Lets hope this crop do better.

19 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Stewart’s a 6 point CL rider, MacDonald a 4 pointer and the other two have no experience of the CL.

Isn’t Keleher 27 and hardly one for the future?

And Ben Cook seems well behind Somerset’s Zach Cook.

Poor.

So Stewart just got beaten by 3 x4 point riders. 

Ben Cook was better than his brother a year ago. Just have to wait and see. 

Zane got the nod from Crump. When crump gives someone the nod I’ll listen to crump. 

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Looks like a long tail to me, can see changes to this team within a couple of months.

If they can afford it ;)

Have Poole forgotten that there’s promising young Brits around, or did they look straight Down Under?!

• Like 1

I would have liked to have seen the BSPA insist that all teams have at least 1 'young' Brit at reserve. There are enough to go round! Maybe the BSPA could have funded each riders performance, which would make it more appealing to each promoter?

Poole's job isn't to develop British talent, it's to put a team together that brings in the fans, which in turn increases income and sustainability. (IMO)

• Like 4

Speaking of development/age....I don't think Jason Doyle hit the highs until mid/late 20's ? nobody would have predicted him being World Champ especially in its current format?

9 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I would have liked to have seen the BSPA insist that all teams have at least 1 'young' Brit at reserve. There are enough to go round! Maybe the BSPA could have funded each riders performance, which would make it more appealing to each promoter?

Poole's job isn't to develop British talent, it's to put a team together that brings in the fans, which in turn increases income and sustainability. (IMO)

Agree with that and if they increased Brit reduction to 5% or more for U21's in both Leagues PL/CL it would encourage more Clubs to develop Home talent. 

Also agree that in the real world Promoters have to pick 1-7 to win matches, matches and not win friends and most Speedway Club supporters would view success as more important than development. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Absolutely, it’s long overdue. Riders like Hume and Greaves shouldn’t be without team spots while there are Aussies at number seven in some teams IMO. But you are right, teams build as strong as they can and have no obligation to develop Brits while it’s not in the rules. 

• Like 4

Personally I have no idea whether Keleher and Cook will be any good but it does seem the team has a long tail and I would agree that there should be at least one Brit at reserve.

Young decent Brits should have been used not Aussies,,,Shamefull the way British speedway is being run these days....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, waco said:

Young decent Brits should have been used not Aussies,,,Shamefull the way British speedway is being run these days....

How does Zeleher and Cook come in on a four yet Hume who had two seasons riddled with injury is saddled with a 3.19 average.He should of had a reduction and this rule could be put in place to help all Brits, speedway is a wonderful sport but some of the rules are a joke.Adam Roynon another example Neil Watson comes up with all those permutations about what average he would come in on he should come in on a two no ifs no but's .The rules in speedway seem to be more important than making sure the clubs put on a decent show for the public making sure the fans go home feeling they have had a good night out.Looking at these Aussies if Josh Pickering who i like and rate has been over here four/ five seasons??? can average only 6.98 i can't see those Aussies averaging six.Zeleher could be the exception i do like him but to average over six is a big ask Poole i believe will have to make changes at some stage.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

I think this goes for a lot of clubs not just poole. 

I think they are nervous. Look at the EDR. Which riders were really a success from it. Ellis and Wright. Think you would struggle to say the Worralls have had the success we all though. 

garrity, Newman, starke, Sarge, Rose. Have not kicked on to the next level or retired.

Also poole now have 2 assets and they do succeed they see the benefit with loans etc. It’s still a business. 

So no places for Greaves and others. Poole haven't broken any rules but there needs to be some put in place for the future. Doubtless the cash-laden clubs in Poland will be watching the progress of these riders, all brought on for free by muggings UK.