British Speedway Forum

21 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I thought the whole idea of Visa's (in general not just speedway) was that to qualify for one. You had to be highly qualified and that your not taking a job from an equally qualified native?

I know this applies in many sectors, how do the Visa's work for speedway riders? I ve seen it quoted that different riders have different conditions etc.

Info is on the BSPA website: 

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/Final Speedway Governing Body Endorsement Criteria 2019-20.pdf

The trouble being the sport is built round averages and every season Clubs have to take a chance on riders unknown that could potentially be a “find” rather than stick with riders who have been about 3/4 years and don’t seem to be making much progress.Clubs that “ find “that reserve who comes good usually have a good season.Imo.

Pirates R.E.F. (Riders Equipment Fund) General Knowledge quiz night next Wednesday 12th February at the Stadium. Co-Promoter Danny Ford in attendance.

27 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Pirates R.E.F. (Riders Equipment Fund) General Knowledge quiz night next Wednesday 12th February at the Stadium. Co-Promoter Danny Ford in attendance.

Be good to see if/how main team sponsor discussion may be progressing. Nice to see all the team race suits now seemingly sorted with both individuals and companies getting involved.

Hopefully similar opportunities will be available in future seasons as gives a chance for all to be involved should they choose.

18 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

You don't want Starman on your team for that one

18 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Be good to see if/how main team sponsor discussion may be progressing. Nice to see all the team race suits now seemingly sorted with both individuals and companies getting involved.

Hopefully similar opportunities will be available in future seasons as gives a chance for all to be involved should they choose.

Not sure if Poole are going for a 'Main' team sponsor as they are offering a variety of commercial sponsorship packages. I believe there are 'Gold, Silver and Bronze'-type packages on offer, but I'm seeing Danny on Tuesday so I'll no doubt find out.  Not sure I'll be able to share any info though?!

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 5:59 PM, Fromafar said:

The trouble being the sport is built round averages and every season Clubs have to take a chance on riders unknown that could potentially be a “find” rather than stick with riders who have been about 3/4 years and don’t seem to be making much progress.Clubs that “ find “that reserve who comes good usually have a good season.Imo.

That's very true, but depends on team structure, too.   If your team is top-heavy, a reserve who comes good will quickly be at #2 (or worse, #4) and you'll lose that seven-ride bonus.... 

1 hour ago, crescent girl said:

That's very true, but depends on team structure, too.   If your team is top-heavy, a reserve who comes good will quickly be at #2 (or worse, #4) and you'll lose that seven-ride bonus.... 

Ah, the good old days, when you needed 6 home and 6 away meetings for a rider on an assessed average to get a GSA. I seem to recall a Polish rider who had the potential for 23 meetings but surprisingly missed 12 and went into the play-offs still on an assessed average so still riding as a reserve. He scored 26+2 from 11 rides in the play-off final :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Ah, the good old days, when you needed 6 home and 6 away meetings for a rider on an assessed average to get a GSA. I seem to recall a Polish rider who had the potential for 23 meetings but surprisingly missed 12 and went into the play-offs still on an assessed average so still riding as a reserve. He scored 26+2 from 11 rides in the play-off final :D

And it’s only Poole that “cheat”....allegedly!!!:mad:

On 2/6/2020 at 6:32 PM, Skidder1 said:

Whats this REF. Is it new, and is it to help your riders ?

• Confused 3

Hi B.B. 

the REF has been running for many years and as Skidder says, in brackets, it stands for the Riders Equipment Fund. Fans can become members by making a monthly donation of anything from £5pm.

During the ‘close season’ there are monthly social events for members and  non-members that help to swell the fund. Usually the events are quizzes but have also included race nights, game shows and chat shows.

Every year, each of the current Pirates is presented with a REF gift (usually £500) to help with expenses. Often the presentation would be made following mechanical failures or loss. 

Member benefits include discount at REF events and the chance to be asked to present the gift to the rider whilst taking part in the race day introductions. Plus, of course, the satisfaction of contributing to the Pirates’ riders.

Potential new members are asked to contact the club via the website to request a form or to be put in contact with organisers Stan and Val Vatcher.

• Like 5

On 2/7/2020 at 4:58 PM, Wee Eck said:

Wasn't breaking any rules though! Led to Peterborough & Coventry almost pulling out of the 2011 season!

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Wasn't breaking any rules though! Led to Peterborough & Coventry almost pulling out of the 2011 season!

Absolutely not. Though it did lead to rule changes. And, of course, the same rider, but this time riding in the 1-5, and for the team he helped beat in 2010, was again on the winning side in 2014.

13 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Absolutely not. Though it did lead to rule changes. And, of course, the same rider, but this time riding in the 1-5, and for the team he helped beat in 2010, was again on the winning side in 2014.

Bizarrely when a similar thing happened in 2009 for Edinburgh no rules were changed and no major arguments were made! Dilger had 12 matches to get a 3.00 ave, but Wolbert missed a match (illness) so stayed on a 7.00 ave rather than going to 9+!

Edited by szkocjasid