British Speedway Forum

20 minutes ago, ray c said:

How do you work that out no dogs no speedway either then 

All i know is the same mob shut bristol, milton keynes and reading .

10 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

My point was when the lockdown is lifted sufficiently to allow speedway/greyhounds and similar sports to take place with a 'socially- distanced crowd', so that advertisers, sponsors will get their brand seen by fans attending. Whenever/if ever the lockdown is further eased then its likely that the 2-metre rule will also change. Boris (and some other countries) are already suggesting 1 metre distance might be enough and that would equate to just a couple of arm lengths.

Danny is clearly of the opinion that it can work otherwise he wouldn't have stated it publicly in yesterday's articles.

My point was he could not afford to run speedway meetings behind closed doors with no paying crowds.... 

14 hours ago, Fixer2 said:

My point was he could not afford to run speedway meetings behind closed doors with no paying crowds.... 

BSPL have already stated that competitive speedway will not happen behind closed doors - its not affordable for any club. but Danny Ford is still planning to resume when allowed - as are the likes of Edinburgh, Leicester Newcastle etc etc

If by mid-July/August  - like transport - it becomes a requirement for fans to all wear face masks to public gatherings and social distancing is reduced  virtually to nil then whats the problem? 

23 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

i would take any price there wont be any more dog racing at Wimborne road , poole

If that is true - despite Stadia UK's statement that dogs will return as soon as the public are allowed to attend - then the Council will be within their rights to take the stadium lease off them.

On 6/3/2020 at 6:11 PM, Skidder1 said:

If/when the Government decides that it is safe for sports like Speedway to return, with whatever social distancing guidelines are in place at that time, then surely the same will apply to greyhound racing. Stadia UK have said that greyhounds will return to Poole as soon as the public are allowed back in. That means stadium staff being back for at least 3 or 4 days each week, plus an extra day for speedway.

The BSPL have said previously that speedway will not happen behind closed doors as it would not be financially sustainable' 

As soon as permission is given ie the lockdown is relaxed sufficiently then every club will look at their potential income streams to see if it will work.  Glasgow have admitted that a great proportion of their revenue comes from fan attendance, however other clubs (possibly including Poole) might  have stronger income streams from other sources eg sponsorship, banner advertising and programme advertising etc as well as revenue from admissions.

definetly not as simple as that skids(ruckeroos point about dogs never returning might well be true)as you know the key to a greyhound tracks profitability is streaming revenues,poole have lost their sunday stream to a northern track which only left two and they have been moved to sister track swindon who already had 3 streams to betting shops daytime mon,wed,andfri so they now have income from  5 streams,problem at poole was that of their two streams  the tues eve was only on rptv and what they pay is only just above the break even figure for the meeting,so the only profit for the week would be sat evening but theyre aleady receiving that money via swindon so why take it from swindon back to poole?logical to have all5 streams from one track and mothball the other.Other problems are that quite a few poole trainers have now given up and retired their hounds and the poole trainers that moved to swindon have been told they are not poole trainers anymore but swindon trainers so there might not be enough dogs to reopen poole.Also skids to be profitable on a sat night the restaurant  needs to be full (usually was) any sort of social distancing would prevent this ,so no dog racing! I first had dealings with stadia uk 40 yrs ago forget what they called themselves then based at the old eastville stadium before they developed it ,and theyhave always kept all their cards very close to themselves so anything could happen,another rumour last wk was that in a few yrs swindon would close for housing and the whole operation would move to poole so who knows!!! one thing for certain skids poole will not have any dog racing this august,which brings me back to my original point, young ford needs to establish if they will reopen the stadium for a few speedway meetings only ??

• Like 2

3 hours ago, poole keith said:

definetly not as simple as that skids(ruckeroos point about dogs never returning might well be true)as you know the key to a greyhound tracks profitability is streaming revenues,poole have lost their sunday stream to a northern track which only left two and they have been moved to sister track swindon who already had 3 streams to betting shops daytime mon,wed,andfri so they now have income from  5 streams,problem at poole was that of their two streams  the tues eve was only on rptv and what they pay is only just above the break even figure for the meeting,so the only profit for the week would be sat evening but theyre aleady receiving that money via swindon so why take it from swindon back to poole?logical to have all5 streams from one track and mothball the other.Other problems are that quite a few poole trainers have now given up and retired their hounds and the poole trainers that moved to swindon have been told they are not poole trainers anymore but swindon trainers so there might not be enough dogs to reopen poole.Also skids to be profitable on a sat night the restaurant  needs to be full (usually was) any sort of social distancing would prevent this ,so no dog racing! I first had dealings with stadia uk 40 yrs ago forget what they called themselves then based at the old eastville stadium before they developed it ,and theyhave always kept all their cards very close to themselves so anything could happen,another rumour last wk was that in a few yrs swindon would close for housing and the whole operation would move to poole so who knows!!! one thing for certain skids poole will not have any dog racing this august,which brings me back to my original point, young ford needs to establish if they will reopen the stadium for a few speedway meetings only ??

BS group( Bristol stadium)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

If that is true - despite Stadia UK's statement that dogs will return as soon as the public are allowed to attend - then the Council will be within their rights to take the stadium lease off them.

i do hope the council have a policy to cover potential different eventualities at the stadium and are quite firm,but as you would know skids commercial leases can be very complex and i would imagine the stadium lease would be many pages of legal "stuff". I just somehow cant believe mr osborne and co would put themselves in a position whereby they would forfeit the lease unless they actually wanted "out" and im pretty sure they dont want away as  they still see potential in the site (for potential read profit)

52 minutes ago, poole keith said:

i do hope the council have a policy to cover potential different eventualities at the stadium and are quite firm,but as you would know skids commercial leases can be very complex and i would imagine the stadium lease would be many pages of legal "stuff". I just somehow cant believe mr osborne and co would put themselves in a position whereby they would forfeit the lease unless they actually wanted "out" and im pretty sure they dont want away as  they still see potential in the site (for potential read profit)

The lease is for Stadia UK to operate the stadium as a sports/leisure facility, specifically (but not exclusively) for Greyhounds and Speedway.  If it doesn't do one and doesn't allow the other then its reneging on the terms of the lease and this would allow the Council to take the lease back or offer it to an alternative operator with similar leisure/sporting provision.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Not sure if this would stand up in a court of law Skidder bearing in mind these unprecedented times. Judges can be quite lenient when it comes to lease forfeiture unless it is flagrant breach and no hope of remedy 

• Like 1

I have not seen anywhere that gi will pull out of the stadium let's wait and see I reckon poole Keith and supersub are spot on 

Stadia UK have no intention, to best of info, of surrendering lease & hope to resume with greyhounds in the autumn but This will be too late for speedway

• Like 1

While we wait for some live action, let’s take a look at this great meeting from 19 years ago. Recently put up in YouTube. Very exciting meeting.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

The lease is for Stadia UK to operate the stadium as a sports/leisure facility, specifically (but not exclusively) for Greyhounds and Speedway.  If it doesn't do one and doesn't allow the other then its reneging on the terms of the lease and this would allow the Council to take the lease back or offer it to an alternative operator with similar leisure/sporting provision.

just dont think its that simple skids ,if you havnt read and studied the lease you cant make assumptions about what the council can do, or try and guess what they might want to do.Regarding sport at the stadium i do know that the lease specifies that the leaseholder must provide any two of the three sports speedway,greyhounds or football (always assumed to be pooletown) but the leaseholder alone to decide which two,they obviously picked speedway and dogs being the most profitable two.(no money in non league football as they might now be discovering at torquay lol)so speedway wasnt guaranteed tho would have been pretty stupid not to stage it.

Wednesday's (June 10th) Re-wind meeting is the 2018 Final 2nd leg in Norfolk - Kings Lynn v Poole - where Poole took a 1st leg 53-37 lead to defend.