Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

What about the 'pilot' events from August 1st that Boris referred to?  BSPL could surely propose a 'pilot' event under covid-secure guidelines at as many tracks willing to participate?!  If the pilot events are successfully staged then subsequent fixtures could then be planned.

'Pilot' events already decided. Snooker at Sheffield and one one-day cricket match. Both with dedicated seat reservation and a crowd % limit. One day horse racing at Goodwood restricted to Goodwood race course members, meaning track and trace, if needed, is comparatively easy as details of those attending would be already held. So unless you can find an all-seater speedway stadium you've no chance. The only one I know of (Cardiff!) is being used as a nightingale hospital on standby.

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

What about the 'pilot' events from August 1st that Boris referred to?  BSPL could surely propose a 'pilot' event under covid-secure guidelines at as many tracks willing to participate?!  If the pilot events are successfully staged then subsequent fixtures could then be planned.

46 minutes ago, leander said:

'Pilot' events already decided. Snooker at Sheffield and one one-day cricket match. Both with dedicated seat reservation and a crowd % limit. One day horse racing at Goodwood restricted to Goodwood race course members, meaning track and trace, if needed, is comparatively easy as details of those attending would be already held. So unless you can find an all-seater speedway stadium you've no chance. The only one I know of (Cardiff!) is being used as a nightingale hospital on standby.

A'd be surprised if the government let any of the BSPL pilot a paper aeroplane ;)

Newspapers today are saying more 'pilot' events are planned from August 1st for other sports subject to acceptable proposals from those sports governing bodies.

9 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Newspapers today are saying more 'pilot' events are planned from August 1st for other sports subject to acceptable proposals from those sports governing bodies.

Skidder, do you think Poole can overcome any problems associated with the Stadium staff being furloughed ?

8 hours ago, sugarray said:

Skidder, do you think Poole can overcome any problems associated with the Stadium staff being furloughed ?

Who is going to foot the bill to make the stadiums compliant. Extra stewards, sinage and PPE don't come cheap. Hard up landlords might be reluctant.

• Like 2

dont think the poole promotion will shout  to loud if the stadium is not avallable for racing this season just my opinion of course  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ray c said:

dont think the poole promotion will shout  to loud if the stadium is not avallable for racing this season just my opinion of course  

A very valid one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sugarray said:

Danny Ford has been speaking very positively about wanting to race whilst accepting there are 'hurdles to overcome'! But remember the stadium are not getting any rental from speedway either so it cuts both ways. (and I have a fair idea of what the rental is! Its not an insignificant amount!)

Lets also not forget the Govt are putting pressure on companies to recall furloughed staff asap, many of whom would only be returning part-time.

Poole Stadium is a Council-owned venue and only leased to Stadia-UK to provide the minimum of 2 sports on a regular basis. With local Councils being given more power to control events locally - who knows?!

Edited by Skidder1

5 hours ago, ray c said:

Think most Clubs will be worried about the financial implications regarding EXTRA costs depending on restrictions,even if they got the go ahead.

There is absolutely no point in even attempting to run speedway this season, in my opinion.

What is the point in starting the season in near August time? Restrictions wont be fully lifted until near the end of the season at the very least.

With certain things reopening, it will only be a matter of time before cases spike again like they have done in Australia. In the first week of June, pubs etc re opened, albeit with restrictions, there were no new cases reported at all for days on end then bang, they started to shoot up again and they are talking about a Stage 4 lockdown coming back in at any moment. We are currently in stage 3, and as of Wednesday theres a 200 dollar fine for anybody not wearing a face mask.

Write the season off, plan ahead for 2021.

• Like 5

....And on Thursday its the rewind of 2018 Aces v Pirates fixture via the BV site.

Promoters Q&A this week via Twitter and facebook. Not sure if this is to be a 'live' interview (Zoom?) instead of the usual Wednesday rewind meeting??

Watch this space I guess.

2 hours ago, chris4gillian said:

No speedway rewind meeting tonight? :(

Maybe didn't want to clash with the SEC final this evening?!