British Speedway Forum

The site can only be used for sporting events ONLY. As said before it was given to the council under these strict guidelines by lord and lady Wimborne many years ago.

The stadium could well be re-developed but a stadium must still remain on the site.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

The site can only be used for sporting events ONLY. As said before it was given to the council under these strict guidelines by lord and lady Wimborne many years ago.

The stadium could well be re-developed but a stadium must still remain on the site.

A new football stadium for Poole Town, maybe.

https://poole-speedway.com/news/view/poole-stadium-directors-statement

OFFICIAL STATEMENT

The Directors of Poole Speedway Ltd wish to make the following announcement.

"We are aware of reports on various social media that Greyhound activity at Poole Stadium has announced been closed down. We have not been informed of anything by our landlords and will be seeking further clarity on the situation and we will look to make a statement tomorrow with further information."

29 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

A new football stadium for Poole Town, maybe.

More like a block of nice flats

• Like 1

There was a bit on Tom Brennan on TV in the south and Ford Jr was interviewed at the stadium and it looked so run down..

I thought then something is up 

1 hour ago, ray c said:

Perhaps a little sympathy for the people who work there would have been a better comment 

Meant to ask this before now - what sorta number of people are actually on the books for the speedway side of things ?.  Saw on here about them continuing furlough but just wondered what roles they actually have.

Terrible news for all affected that's for sure.

7 minutes ago, M.D said:

There was a bit on Tom Brennan on TV in the south and Ford Jr was interviewed at the stadium and it looked so run down..

I thought then something is up 

the stadium has not been used for any sporting event since march because of the pandemic 

1 hour ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Some years ago Altrincham Ice Rink could not be built on because of a similar covenant. It did not stop houses. The guidelines were then, this is now.

1 hour ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Like Long Eaton which was specified sport only (and some others). It now has housing on it. Any covenant means absolutely nothing.

2 hours ago, daz9100 said:

BCP Council own the stadium.

The land was left to the council by Lady Wimborne for sports use only. It just can't be knocked down and built on.

The earlier tweet relates to the greyhounds only not the speedway. The car park and children's nursery are still operating as normal.

Kirky Lane has/had a similar covenant on it...

Apartments will soon start to be built on there.....

I would imagine post Covid, cash strapped councils will use any assets they have to raise funds, as their budgets will be heavily targeted by central govt to pay back the huge borrowing they have had to do..

I would also imagine that given its size and location, you would get a 'lot of money' from a property developer to build apartments on Poole's site, and, I would think, not much in the way of resistance from local home owners as their property prices would rise and there would be less noise and disruption to their neighbourhood each week...

Relying on such an increasingly attacked 'un pc' sport as Greyhound racing, who themselves have ever dwindling attendance numbers, to ensure your own business stays in existence will always be like perpetually walking on thinning ice going forward I would think for any tracks that this situation applies to...

Edited by mikebv

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Kirky Lane has/had a similar covenant on it...

Apartments will soon start to be built on there.....

I would imagine post Covid, cash strapped councils will use any assets they have to raise funds, as their budgets will be heavily targeted by central govt to pay back the huge borrowing they have had to do..

I would also imagine that given its size and location, you would get a 'lot of money' from a property developer to build apartments on Poole's site, and, I would think, not much in the way of resistance from local home owners as their property prices would rise and there would be less noise and disruption to their neighbourhood each week...

Relying on such an increasingly attacked 'un pc' sport as Greyhound racing, who themselves have ever dwindling attendance numbers, to ensure your own business stays in existence will always be like perpetually walking on thinning ice going forward I would think for any tracks that this situation applies to...

Every greyhound stadium is at risk. How long can any business survive with hardly any revenue. God knows what state the country will be in economically, when we finally come out of this pandemic.

I should imagine if Gaming International are closing their greyhound operation at Poole, then they could well be in breach of their leasehold with the council, which could then be forfeited, revertInginto council hands to be re-offered to another leasee.

As Matt Ford said on Radio Solent, speedway will not be affected and will be running next season. Might not be greasy burgers available from the outlet in the back straight stand though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I should imagine if Gaming International are closing their greyhound operation at Poole, then they could well be in breach of their leasehold with the council, which could then be forfeited, revertInginto council hands to be re-offered to another leasee.

As Matt Ford said on Radio Solent, speedway will not be affected and will be running next season. Might not be greasy burgers available from the outlet in the back straight stand though!

every sane Speedway supporter will hope Poole do come to tapes in 2021.

Dogs and the betting levy will have been a huge proportion of the overall stadium income.

If Gaming International do relinquish or are removed as Tenants whoever takes over will have a huge black hole to fill in terms of income.

The Council cannot just take on a black hole of debt. There would need to be massive cost cuts and savings or a viable plan to optimise the income of the stadium.

Covenants mean nothing other than the old parchments they are written on.

Fingers crossed as it's a venue that the Sport simply can't afford to lose.

Matt Ford of any time up to a few years ago would have been the ideal bloke to champion this, have to ask, is his heart really in it any more.

Poole have also sadly lost a couple of outstanding backroom staff in the recent past and their passing will be ever more cruelly felt at this difficult time. 

I wish them all the very best of luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1