British Speedway Forum

On 8/23/2020 at 11:52 AM, Skidder1 said:

Now confirmed as Wednesday 26th on the club website. ps. Its the last 'rewind meeting' of the Summer!!

Although on Tuesday September 1st Somerset are showing the Rebels v Pirates from 2018 at 1930hours.

So next week will be the first 'rewind meeting' of the autumn :party:

20 minutes ago, ray c said:

very quiet on news coming out of the stadium these days ?

Sometimes no news can really be good news.

I remain very fearful of the immediate future (start of 2021 season) for any Speedway Club sharing with Greyhounds if there are any Crowd limitations or more specif stadium lockdowns in the Event of a positive test being linked to the Stadium.

A Club that owns its own Stadium won't have to convince the Stadium Owner, who can make more in a week from the Betting Levy of Dogs without Spectators that they probably make in rent from Speedway over a season, of the implications financially of a 10-14 day lock down. A lockdown that would affect Betting Levy receipts.

I'm very worried for Brummies short term future due to this.

Swindon (to a degree) / Sheffield / Wolverhampton / Birmingham,/ Kent / Newcastle (as we can see already) and Poole - could have real issues.

I; 100% hope I am wrong. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HGould said:

Sometimes no news can really be good news.

I remain very fearful of the immediate future (start of 2021 season) for any Speedway Club sharing with Greyhounds if there are any Crowd limitations or more specif stadium lockdowns in the Event of a positive test being linked to the Stadium.

A Club that owns its own Stadium won't have to convince the Stadium Owner, who can make more in a week from the Betting Levy of Dogs without Spectators that they probably make in rent from Speedway over a season, of the implications financially of a 10-14 day lock down. A lockdown that would affect Betting Levy receipts.

I'm very worried for Brummies short term future due to this.

Swindon (to a degree) / Sheffield / Wolverhampton / Birmingham,/ Kent / Newcastle (as we can see already) and Poole - could have real issues.

I; 100% hope I am wrong. 

Very dismal view..But I am fairly sure that the Kent dogs boss also owns the Speedway, so I do not see a problem unless it is a problem for both.

• Like 1

they are good points H,of course poole now has no income streams from dogs as there is now no racing,ive not spoken to anyone whos even heard a rumour as to what the future of the stadium is(has to be more than 20 speedway meets per yr though) Did notice that an existing sponsor of poole town fc has this wk apparently injected large amount into the club,that sponsor is???a well known and successful local development company !!!

2 minutes ago, poole keith said:

they are good points H,of course poole now has no income streams from dogs as there is now no racing,ive not spoken to anyone whos even heard a rumour as to what the future of the stadium is(has to be more than 20 speedway meets per yr though) Did notice that an existing sponsor of poole town fc has this wk apparently injected large amount into the club,that sponsor is???a well known and successful local development company !!!

Hopefully Poole will find a way to make Stadium pay it's way without the dogs and buy time to consider other options.

9 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Very dismal view..But I am fairly sure that the Kent dogs boss also owns the Speedway, so I do not see a problem unless it is a problem for both.

It's not dismal. If you have a business income stream (dogs) that can make money without spectators, why would you risk it by introducing spectators until it was safe for dogs or any other sport?.

It's Covid 19 reality.  

If Kent Stadium is kept open by Betting levy, makes no difference whether Owner owns Speedway or not.

It'll be his decision to make if the Covid 19 risk is same or worse come March.

I've no idea how often Kent stages dogs, I know Perry Barr and Monmore are 5-6 times per week and that levy income per week is more than Speedway rent per year.

43 minutes ago, HGould said:

Hopefully Poole will find a way to make Stadium pay it's way without the dogs and buy time to consider other options.

thats the problem,matt ford has said if his "consortium" could take over they would look to hold other events at the stadium but not dogs but didnt say what they might be,cant believe stadia uk would be interested in running anything to be honest,probably now focusing on partial development of the car park! The only thing i can think of is stock car/bangers but would you get the official fixtures with matchams just up the rd? Do believe council faviour the return of poole town but of course they dont have to finance the move and theres no money to be made in non league football.To sum up dont think anyone knows whats happening, all us fans can do is hope for the best

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poole keith said:

thats the problem,matt ford has said if his "consortium" could take over they would look to hold other events at the stadium but not dogs but didnt say what they might be,cant believe stadia uk would be interested in running anything to be honest,probably now focusing on partial development of the car park! The only thing i can think of is stock car/bangers but would you get the official fixtures with matchams just up the rd? Do believe council faviour the return of poole town but of course they dont have to finance the move and theres no money to be made in non league football.To sum up dont think anyone knows whats happening, all us fans can do is hope for the best

I think you are about right .and I'm sure bcp will not want it back on there hands to have to pay for the upkeep so i reckon the ball is in matt fords hands  if we are going to have speedway next season ?

The 'ball' is firmly in Stadia UK's hands. Until they decide /announce their own plans to continue with the stadium lease or not then nobody can do anything except a bit of lobbying behind the scenes?!

Incidentally Monmore (Ladbroke greyhounds) is reopening on October 1st with reduced attendance, so its not every greyhound stadium/operator that is shutting up shop.

Also its not Stadia UK's option to develop part of the stadium car park for housing, unless they've put a strong financial proposal to BCP Council, which - if acceptable - would require a public planning application, as would any other developer's proposal.

• Like 1

like i said skids nobody knows whats happening to the stadium,though i actually heard this afternoon from someone who was privy to tuesdays meeting held by stadia uk that they are happy to continue paying the rent to the council due under the lease,and will retain car park staff,in present climate council will probably be content with that.also skids like ive said before both partys want partial development of the site but neither can do it on their own but they(stadia uk and council) can certainly do it if they work together,so there, job done,simples.ps nobody has ever said "every greyhound/stadium operator is shutting up shop"

The situation regarding the deferred Celebration of Life in respect of Poole historian and past PRO Gordon Day has been updated by his widow Barbara on some social media platforms.

In essence her announcement explains the deferral due to Covid-19, BUT after continual discussion with the Poole Stadium General Manager, Shaun, it will take place at the Stadium in March 2021!

(nb. This would seem to indicate that the stadium will still be operating into next year!!):D