British Speedway Forum

14 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

I think this goes for a lot of clubs not just poole. 

I think they are nervous. Look at the EDR. Which riders were really a success from it. Ellis and Wright. Think you would struggle to say the Worralls have had the success we all though. 

garrity, Newman, starke, Sarge, Rose. Have not kicked on to the next level or retired.

Also poole now have 2 assets and they do succeed they see the benefit with loans etc. It’s still a business. 

I doubt that the transfer fees for Greaves, Hume, Bowtell or Kinsley would have exceeded air fares from Australia!

11 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I doubt that the transfer fees for Greaves, Hume, Bowtell or Kinsley would have exceeded air fares from Australia!

These guys have been around for a while unlikely to improve to any great level.Cant blame Promotion for taking a chance on new faces.Imo

1 hour ago, poolebolton said:

I think this goes for a lot of clubs not just poole. 

I think they are nervous. Look at the EDR. Which riders were really a success from it. Ellis and Wright. Think you would struggle to say the Worralls have had the success we all though. 

garrity, Newman, starke, Sarge, Rose. Have not kicked on to the next level or retired.

Also poole now have 2 assets and they do succeed they see the benefit with loans etc. It’s still a business. 

Mate Stark did a good job  when he rode for us as did Kyle, but sadly injury has blighted his progress, which has not always been of  his own doing.  Garrity has improved but im not sure Matt fancied him  Sargent no, Rose no, so that doesnt leave you to many on the sort of averages you are looking for. Given the skinny points limit, Every club in the championship is going to have to have a low point novice/rider if you like, its just the nature of the beest. But lets give these lads a fair crack of the whip, they come highly recommended and are dead keen. Its asking a lot to produce a Craig boyce or Leigh Adams, but who knows.

Edited by Starman2006

7 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Mate Stark did a good job  when he rode for us as did Kyle, but sadly injury has blighted his progress, which has not always been of  his own doing.  Garrity has improved but im not sure Matt fancied him  Sargent no, Rose no, so that doesnt leave you to many on the sort of averages you are looking for. Given the skinny points limit, Every club in the championship is going to have to have a low point novice/rider if you like, its just the nature of the beest. But lets give these lads a fair crack of the whip, they come highly recommended and are dead keen. Its asking a lot to produce a Craig boyce or Leigh Adams, but who knows.

Thats exactly my point they did great for us 5 years ago now and they haven't progressed at all. Yes injuries, but you can't wait around for injuries. 

Ellis and wright have progressed to that number 1 level spot while kyle and starke arent even heatleaders or if so are the 3rd one. 

50 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

These guys have been around for a while unlikely to improve to any great level.Cant blame Promotion for taking a chance on new faces.Imo

The problem is two of the Australians get a chance to further there career in the reserve berth that is never right in my opinion.Hume before his injuries at Ipswich was averaging 5.80 at home and just under four he was  at the level of Connor Mountain.His average of 3.19 is to high for anyone to take a chance at the moment that is the injustice of it all these guys come in on a four.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Greaves perhaps but the others especially Kinsley haven’t been around that long. These riders should be guaranteed spots if they want to ride up to a certain age.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Greaves perhaps but the others especially Kinsley haven’t been around that long. These riders should be guaranteed spots if they want to ride up to a certain age.  

No-one "should be guaranteed a spot if he wants to ride".   Not even in the National League.      That's maybe what amateur meetings are for?

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

The Aussie's Bagpuss i enjoy watching them all, they are great for British speedway but as you said not at the expense of British riders.Will any of these Aussies really make an impression,for me the level of the Aussies are nowhere near the level of say Fricke/ Holder/ Kurtz.I would say in Gilmore, Rew, Hook, and later on Browne they have some real talent coming through but will they go the Lidsey route when good anough straight into the Premiership if they ever do ride in the UK.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

I think Hume is the oldest at 23 and he’s been held back through injury.

Greaves has the most experience but he’s only 21! Bowtell is 22 and Kinsley 21.

Surely Greaves would have been better for Poole and GB speedway than 27 year old Keleher or Ben Cook who has shown no form whatsoever?

Madness.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

The Aussie's Bagpuss i enjoy watching them all, they are great for British speedway but as you said not at the expense of British riders.Will any of these Aussies really make an impression,for me the level of the Aussies are nowhere near the level of say Fricke/ Holder/ Kurtz.I would say in Gilmore, Rew, Hook, and later on Browne they have some real talent coming through but will they go the Lidsey route when good anough straight into the Premiership if they ever do ride in the UK.

Look at this way.

Poole have 3 riders on 4 (Keleher/Macdonald/Cook) and 1 rider just over 4 in Nielsen. 3 of those qualify for a reserve berth with a good chance Nielsen may qualify come the first GSA's of 2020.

Now just for this exercise look at a Keleher/Mac pairing at reserve against plenty/most of the other Champ reserves. Factor in each reserve can have up to a max of 7 rides incl taking some of the other reserves rides.

I would hope from Poole perspective that this is an area Poole could score plenty of points at least in the early part of these season as many of the young (and not so young) reserves in other teams are finding their way.

Heat leaders are important but strong reserves who can pick up extra rides can also win you matches. Especially against many of the reserves named by others.

24 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

No-one "should be guaranteed a spot if he wants to ride".   Not even in the National League.      That's maybe what amateur meetings are for?

They absolutely should ahead of Australians. If they are for example under 23 and have Championship experience and / or have excelled in the NL then there must be a system to allow them to get a team spot ahead of foreign riders. 

14 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Look at this way.

Poole have 3 riders on 4 (Keleher/Macdonald/Cook) and 1 rider just over 4 in Nielsen. 3 of those qualify for a reserve berth with a good chance Nielsen may qualify come the first GSA's of 2020.

Now just for this exercise look at a Keleher/Mac pairing at reserve against plenty/most of the other Champ reserves. Factor in each reserve can have up to a max of 7 rides incl taking some of the other reserves rides.

I would hope from Poole perspective that this is an area Poole could score plenty of points at least in the early part of these season as many of the young (and not so young) reserves in other teams are finding their way.

Heat leaders are important but strong reserves who can pick up extra rides can also win you matches. Especially against many of the reserves named by others.

Exactly Steve Holloway!!  For all those clamouring for teams to have a British no.7, Poole could well have one by the end of May?! ;)

If the team building points limit was a little higher and untried Aussies came in on 4.50/5.00, then Poole would have Neilsen at reserve.

Edited by Skidder1

4 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

I would have liked to have seen the BSPA insist that all teams have at least 1 'young' Brit at reserve. There are enough to go round! Maybe the BSPA could have funded each riders performance, which would make it more appealing to each promoter?

Poole's job isn't to develop British talent, it's to put a team together that brings in the fans, which in turn increases income and sustainability. (IMO)

They had a rule like that a few years back, but binned it after a couple of seasons!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Look at this way.

But my main point is Steve these guys who come in should be good anough to average six alot of them wont.Also with the reserves the way it is looking should be structured that our lads get to ride against lads of there own level.Ok have one Aussie at reserve but to have two is to much.Look i understand teams want to try and put together the  best team possible but the National team should also be made to be a consideration to every club and i think young British riders should be given more help.