British Speedway Forum

I remember many years ago playing football against them at Wimborne road they had to put artificial corner flags down because of the shape of the pitch/stadium.i think the league we were both in back then was the beazer homes league.

Edited by Mike0310

17 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

I remember many years ago playing football against them at Wimborne road they had to put artificial corner flags down because of the shape of the pitch/stadium.i think the league we were both in back then was the beazer homes league.

I saw Poole Town play Newport County there in the FA cup back in the early 80's. It seemed a strange football ground with no terracing behind the goals.

57 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I saw Poole Town play Newport County there in the FA cup back in the early 80's. It seemed a strange football ground with no terracing behind the goals.

It was a not the best of places to watch football I was there as well Sunday afternoon

9 minutes ago, sugarray said:

its actually an awful place for football

Edited for accuracy :rofl:

• Haha 1

Poole Town FC are in more of a financial hole than either dogs or greyhounds I would suggest.

One huge stumbling block for them to move anywhere away from their Tatnum Poole ground is that they would have to re-pay all the FA loans that they've had for ground improvements.  They can't afford to do that - in fact they can barely afford to continue operating normal fixtures without begging for more and more financial support.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Poole Town FC are in more of a financial hole than either dogs or greyhounds I would suggest.

One huge stumbling block for them to move anywhere away from their Tatnum Poole ground is that they would have to re-pay all the FA loans that they've had for ground improvements.  They can't afford to do that - in fact they can barely afford to continue operating normal fixtures without begging for more and more financial support.

The coronavirus ending to the Southern League South Division season was catastrophic for Poole Town FC because the relentless rain during the autumn & winter making their current home too boggy (plus a decent run in the FA Cup qualifying rounds before that) meant they played just 9 home league games for crowd-income in the 7 pre-coronavirus months of the season while keeping their away league schedule more than up-to-date by playing 18 of those with all the costs that entails (the travelling in their division stretches from Truro in Cornwall to Surrey & West London) !!

Incredibly, thanks to the 3rd most away-points in their league, they were only 7 points off a play-off place when the season was declared coronvirus-void with at least 2 games in hand on everyone above them plus a crazy run-in  (all to be squeezed into 7 weekend and 6 midweeks) of 12 home games & only 3 aways !!

They were appealing for their fans to prop up their away-funding even well before the virus struck so they're utterly skint and with no clue yet when they can start having a crowd pitchside for their 2020-21 season.

• Like 1

Don’t forget, the greyhounds do not own Poole Stadium. They are leaseholders from the council. Should the greyhounds go pop, the lease would return to the council. The land also has a covenant on it that it was given to the council for the sole use of recreational sports.

• Like 1

i thought that if the buildings/land  were leased from the council and the people (dogs or speedway ) went pear shaped . the council  could  make them pay until another sucker could be found . unless of course its on a rolling contract or they have gone in on a licence !

Steve, the greyhounds are not going to go pop, they will return in the autumn, probably October. 
in any case under the present economic climate the Council wouldn’t want the stadium back it would be a liability. Just hope British speedway as we know it survives this pandemic and we see League speedway at Poole next season.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Supersub said:

Steve, the greyhounds are not going to go pop, they will return in the autumn, probably October. 
in any case under the present economic climate the Council wouldn’t want the stadium back it would be a liability. Just hope British speedway as we know it survives this pandemic and we see League speedway at Poole next season.

Does anyone else think that a number of Teams will seek to drop to National League for a few seasons just to keep going with much reduced costs.

Be ironic if the league the Fuhrer tried to destroy became the one that saved a lot of Clubs in crisis.

Not hard to see IOW, Mildenhall, Plymouth being joined by Kent (NL only); Brummies and Eastbourne (back to NL again); Newcastle ; Edinburgh , Redcar and may be even Poole and Somerset seek that level for 1-2 seasons to keep going as better option than closing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Supersub said:

So are you saying there will no speedway at poole this season ?

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Does anyone else think that a number of Teams will seek to drop to National League for a few seasons just to keep going with much reduced costs.

Be ironic if the league the Fuhrer tried to destroy became the one that saved a lot of Clubs in crisis.

Not hard to see IOW, Mildenhall, Plymouth being joined by Kent (NL only); Brummies and Eastbourne (back to NL again); Newcastle ; Edinburgh , Redcar and may be even Poole and Somerset seek that level for 1-2 seasons to keep going as better option than closing.

Edinburgh already plan to run a team at NL level this season.  Do keep up!

• Haha 2

Just in case anyone has missed it - this week's after-match reaction featuring Kyle Newman, Chris Holder and Davey Watt will this week take place 24 hours later on Thursday 28th May at 7.30pm.

The 2015 Poole v Belle Vue meeting still takes place on Wednesday 27th May at 1930 hours.