British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, ArthurRudge said:

Fords are so full of plop, we won't be rushed into things who is exactly rushing them? Matter is they have not got anyone lined up most the decent aussies are already signed up.

Bar Gilmore who is the best of the young bunch by a distance. 

54 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

Fords are so full of plop, we won't be rushed into things who is exactly rushing them? Matter is they have not got anyone lined up most the decent aussies are already signed up.

Think their plans went par shaped when Hansen finally said no and then Bjerre also it seems said no as not doing UK in 2020 (allegedly).

As said in my last post with 8.97 it means either 2 Aussies on 4 each(what is left that is or on the young rider front who is interested in coming over). Or you have Kurtz plus say Hume/Kinsley/Bowtell as the likes of Morley/Woods are too high to accommodate.

The fact that none of the first 3 have been named by any of the other 11 teams indicates they were not wanted elsewhere (at this stage). Maybe later if/when teams start to drop riders after the first couple of months.

Me personally would like to see 2 of the good young up and coming Aussies who have some decent form. They should hopefully beat more than lose to N/L quality riders and probably most of the young finding their feet Brit youngsters who are now Champ reserves. That partly offsets the disadvantage of having 2 other 4 pointers in the team.

I can't see the point of having a young unproven Dane come in on a 5 as most of them struggle and don't get anywhere near their assessed av plus it means we only have 3.97 left which just below the 4 we need for another Aussie so you are forced to use a N/L rider. 

I would rather have 2 talented young 4 point Aussies with a view of poss having another maybe long  term World class star of the future (like a Gilmore ?) or one that is maybe just short of World class but can do it in both our champ and Prem long term.

There is a lot to be said for having a top 5 like Leic/Redcar with a bit weaker at reserve. But Poole did not choose that route so need to compensate where they can and for me 2 good young Aussie reserves would hopefully compensate at reserve where they could do plenty of damage. especially against the other teams not so good reserves.Just my opinion of course.

3 hours ago, chris4gillian said:

What about Hans Anderson for a shot in the dark?  He hasn't signed a UK deal yet and although he's way past his best he would certainly do a good job in the Championship on a what must be a very attractive average.

Having said the above, he may be Panthers bound once again...as Tungate may also (or instead of) be...

If only :).

The drop to Champ means his GSA would increase by 1.5 or 1.6 conversion from Prem which is above what we have left points wise for our last 2 riders and also above what we would have for one rider.

I think that as long as he can get rides in POL on a Sunday (and he has signed again for his team in 2020) and also in DK, then I think he will stay with Prem only until his diary (and maybe his wallet) starts to empty a bit more.

18 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Be careful where you tread on this thread!!

Please tell me more :)

What about Nathan Greaves on 4.61 and one young Australian.    Nathan Greaves was one of the few riders whose away average was higher than his home average, meaning he is likely to increase his average with a more suitable home track.

Surely safer than signing 2 new Australian riders.

3 minutes ago, shippy22 said:

What about Nathan Greaves on 4.61 and one young Australian.    Nathan Greaves was one of the few riders whose away average was higher than his home average, meaning he is likely to increase his average with a more suitable home track.

Surely safer than signing 2 new Australian riders.

Greaves is good value for that average. IMO 

13 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

can only get better as well

11 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

For me Greaves came on the scene in 2013 and in his first few seasons looked like a promising rider with potential. 

In 7 seasons with plenty of  double up and even trebling up some years he for me has never really pushed on and  is what he is, which is a steady 4 to 4.5 Champ reserve and that is what you will get. If he was any good or was showing plenty of potential don't you think one of the geographically more suited Northern clubs would have signed him ??

Poole don't just want to sign riders to make up the numbers in my opinion. If you sign some really decent young Aussies who have shown potential - Let say just for this discussion Gilmore and List or even Keleher or maybe even Kennedy you are potentially signing assets with a possible future. Certainly in Aussie in the last month or so all 4 I have named would turn over Greaves just as they have turned over riders such as Brennan/Smith and the other odd N/L riders as well as a Young promising Pole and a Dane who went down there for the Winter.

I would rather have 2 young Aussies with potential taking a longer term view from both a results and asst value going forward. I think this is a good a season as any for them to come to UK as the strength of lots of the N/L reserves and young UK riders is for many still in its infancy and these young Aussie guys should easily hold their own against most of them. Most of these young Aussies have been taking on older and more established riders and beating them so have been getting valuable experience. Jed List maybe came over a bit too early and Scinthorpe got rid of him far too early, but he has shown in Aussie this season he can mix it and a 5 ride maximum against most of the young Aussies (except Gilmore who got injured in the meeting) and only just lost out to Hook in the final where he missed the break but made up ground and just failed to overtake on the final lap.

The one thing that concerns me about these young promising Aussies is if they decide to miss out UK and go straight to POL where they can double up in DK. Seems a few looking at that route. Lidsey did it and went straight into Prem when ready and Rew taken similar route and so will Hook after he finishes school in 2020 and then goes direct to POL for 2021.

Still would not  dismiss Kennedy coming over again as he was not happy he was not invited over for 2020 having done an ok first season and only 21 still.

As an after thought on Zaine Kennedy.

If you visit his Facebook page and scroll back to 13th August, you will see him in a race V Wells and Pickering. He overtook both of them from behind to win and was all action.

He was also voted Sheffield's rider of the year in his first season in UK.  I assume he was not invited back due to Sheffield moving into Prem.

When you look at that race on its own - the rider of the year plus some decent perfomances in his few meetings in Aus on borrowed equip over the last 6 weeks, then you ask yourself the question would he maybe be a decent signing. On a  4 one would perhaps argue yes if he could have decent equip and some reasonable sponsorship.

Jordan Stewart was only on 4.09 when he finished his first UK season in Champ in 2018. Now he is one of the hotter property Aussies for Redcar & now signed Swindon.

Just because Poole are looking at the Australian performances doesn't mean they'll end up with more Aussies in their starting (or finishing) 1-7!!!!:o

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Just because Poole are looking at the Australian performances doesn't mean they'll end up with more Aussies in their starting (or finishing) 1-7!!!!:o

True.

Maybe there is a real left field signing we have not considered although personally I would be surprised. Having trawled through all the stats I sure cannot come up with anyone other than another Aussie in Kurtz who I don't think is a signing of choice, even if he was interested. Besides that nothing in the UK stats jumps out as a progressive option.

Wouldn't mind a World Class U21 young rider who has proved it on the World U21 stage like a Hansen/Kvech/Jeppeson but somehow don't think it will happen. That would leave a relatively unknown European/Scandinavian who would probably struggle to score a 5 point av and then we are left with 3.97 for a N/L heat leader.

Feel free to come in with any potential riders I may have missed. The Poole promotion want to keep their cards close to their chest but nothing stopping us supporters airing our views on possibilities.

It may well be there are other 5 pointers out there but in the right combination with a N/L rider is another question. 

Being Australian isn’t any guarantee of being good. 

5 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Being Australian isn’t any guarantee of being good. 

List, Kennedy, Keleher, would any of those. Aussies average 6 in the Championship Ben what do you think.?? For me Steve Hols54 has named the six riders   that i believe would interest Poole as a longterm option Jeppesen, Kvech, Hansen, Rew, Hook,Gilmore ( my first choice.).I think Gilmore, Rew,Hook, might do a Lidsey and want to go straight in the Premiership when they are ready.

I just had a quick look at the forum views. Could this be a master stroke of trying to revive interest in the Poole camp? For example look at Eastbourne announcing their team first 20,000 views. Poole incomplete 140,000 views... people are certainly talking about Poole. (I understand some interest would have been caused by their drop down but still 120000 views more?)

9 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

List, Kennedy, Keleher, would any of those. Aussies average 6 in the Championship Ben what do you think.?? For me Steve Hols54 has named the six riders   that i believe would interest Poole as a longterm option Jeppesen, Kvech, Hansen, Rew, Hook,Gilmore ( my first choice.).I think Gilmore, Rew,Hook, might do a Lidsey and want to go straight in the Premiership when they are ready.

I’m out of touch when it comes to who is a good prospect and who isn’t these days. Since Rye House closed my interest has dwindled (it was heading that way before we closed in fairness). But there seems, and always has been this way, to be the opinion that being Australian makes a rider better than a Brit automatically. Some are, some aren’t. 

• Like 1