British Speedway Forum

19 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Aren’t you mixing up an initially “average” EL rider (Doyle) with a below average CL rider (MacDonald)?

There’s no comparison.

Doyle in his first season in top league with Poole had a GSA of 4.76 2007. Only had 2 Poole meetings in 2006.

He was 22 near enough and ridden for 2 seasons at IOW in lower league. When he left Poole I don't think anyone would have said that was a future World Champ. Blessed with gating ability but always got overtaken. Maybe he is an exception as not many become WC with his background, and developing into such an aggressive (and top rider). None of those traits were apparent/visible in his earlier career.

However a shining example not just to young Aussies but also young Brits that there is always a chance to get to the top even when you are bout to turn 30.

If the likes of Josh Mac/Keleher and Cook get to half of what Jason has done, and in Champ then for me job done. Even if only 2 of them make it still job done.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Disgraceful signings while young British lads are out of work.

Don't blame poole we are above the average in the league. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Disgraceful signings while young British lads are out of work.

From the man only one letter short of having a more apt username suited to his comments and attitude towards anything Poole.

Poole had 8.97 points . I think you will find had they been able to secure originally planned Hansen on 5 or Bjerre on 5.87 then for sure they would have signed any Brit from Morley/Hume/Kinsley/Bowtell etc. 

With those dropping out they decided to go down the Aussie route which to a degree is a risk but surely not as risky as signing a 5 point unknown Dane who would struggle to get 2/3 (like history tells us in recent seasons) and a N/L quality Brit.

Personally I think Keleher is better than any of those named above or a young unknown Eastern European/Scand and we get a 4 pointer in Cook who could be anything but has beaten decent riders in Aussie and at 22 still has potential. If he got a GSA of 4 this season then job done for a first season.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Maybe Aussie four pointers should be limited to one per team?

Poole have three!

If no foreigner came in below 5, our NL riders would stand a better chance of progression without the need to make one per team compulsory.

Rubbish - if they're good enough, I don't care where they come from, rather than be stuck with some CL wobbler because he happens to be British.

Also the guff about Keleher  being too old at 27 to be considered - John Louis was nearly 29 when he made his debut for Ipswich, so thank goodness your "too old to recruit"  crap was not taken into account for him. 

5 minutes ago, cyclone said:

Rubbish - if they're good enough, I don't care where they come from, rather than be stuck with some CL wobbler because he happens to be British.

Also the guff about Keleher  being too old at 27 to be considered - John Louis was nearly 29 when he made his debut for Ipswich, so thank goodness your "too old to recruit"  crap was not taken into account for him. 

Are you Jon Cook?

Also for the Track*rat.

So it would be okay to lay ourselves bare to those teams who have stacked their top 5 like Leic/Redcar just because we have decided (partly due to circumstances), to go down the strength in depth route and we are still 0.97 under the official team limit. Don't forget we have 3 riders on 4 and 1 just over.

There are plenty of young Brits signed up in this league and it may well be that those who have not made it so far, find there way into teams as they may start to empty some of these riders as the season progresses and with the first GSA's end May. Let's see how loyal some of these teams stay to the young Brits if results not going as they want.

Just now, Richard Weston said:

Are you Jon Cook?

Are you in need of a brain transplant?

Just now, cyclone said:

Are you in need of a brain transplant?

It's a word Jon Cook used/uses --- denigrating the NDL. Gotcha!

13 minutes ago, cyclone said:

Do you always talk to people like that?  :)

54 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Do you always talk to people like that?  :)

Very often, he is the misery guts of the Championship section. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Also for the Track*rat.

So it would be okay to lay ourselves bare to those teams who have stacked their top 5 like Leic/Redcar just because we have decided (partly due to circumstances), to go down the strength in depth route and we are still 0.97 under the official team limit. Don't forget we have 3 riders on 4 and 1 just over.

There are plenty of young Brits signed up in this league and it may well be that those who have not made it so far, find there way into teams as they may start to empty some of these riders as the season progresses and with the first GSA's end May. Let's see how loyal some of these teams stay to the young Brits if results not going as they want.

Why the name calling? Just because I don't like all things Paul. Carry on writing the massive posts when one line would do you boring man zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

2 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Maybe you misread my post and Clive's reply (as he wants full name disclosure).

I think Clive is implying that we could have a young Brit already in our own team i.e Stefan Nielsen at reserve come end of May and first GSA sheets.

Can Stef Nielsen still be considered to be "young" ?

This sort of situation is where second halves used to be so good. They would give the likes of Bowtell and Hume that chance to take on the Aussie newcomers and lay claim to the team places (and vice versa). So would opening up the NDL to first-time Australians provide such an opportunity for the Brits to prove their mettle  by beating them and prove they are worth putting into the CL teams at the expense of the incumbent Aussies?

18 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

This sort of situation is where second halves used to be so good. They would give the likes of Bowtell and Hume that chance to take on the Aussie newcomers and lay claim to the team places (and vice versa). So would opening up the NDL to first-time Australians provide such an opportunity for the Brits to prove their mettle  by beating them and prove they are worth putting into the CL teams at the expense of the incumbent Aussies?

years gone by poole was always good for second halves but then there was lots of young lads racing speedway bikes. those days have long gone . 

Edited by ray c
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trackrat said:

Why the name calling? Just because I don't like all things Paul. Carry on writing the massive posts when one line would do you boring man zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Whoops made a typo. Apologies it should have been a P not a *.

Happy to engage in sensible debate with any forum user but not with somebody who deliberately incites a negative response with their constant digs & jibes at anything Poole.

Feel free to carry on with it as you usually do and I am happy as a Poole Supporter to engage with supporters/fans who genuinely have a decent point or opinion positive or negative to make.

Happy to continue to bore you and maybe with luck you will stop looking in ;)