British Speedway Forum

as all the stadium staff bar one have been furloughed will that cause problems?or perhaps the scheme will allow them to work one day per wk? has young ford mentioned if any discussions have taken place with stadium?

• Like 2

Spot on Keith. Greyhounds Transferred to Swindon till at least October. Stadia UK have furloughed virtually all staff and therefore stadium will be difficult to operate without the staff and so I imagine speedway it’s unlikely this season. Also if social distancing is still in place I think it will be very difficult to implement at a speedway meeting and I can’t imagine they can run speedway without crowds

1 hour ago, poole keith said:

as all the stadium staff bar one have been furloughed will that cause problems?or perhaps the scheme will allow them to work one day per wk? has young ford mentioned if any discussions have taken place with stadium?

I think you may know the answer to that already ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poole keith said:

When you are furloughed you cannot undertaker any work for the employer that has furloughed you. You can though work for someone else.

I think you can work for the employer who has furloughed you but they cannot claim furlough money for these hours.

If/when the Government decides that it is safe for sports like Speedway to return, with whatever social distancing guidelines are in place at that time, then surely the same will apply to greyhound racing. Stadia UK have said that greyhounds will return to Poole as soon as the public are allowed back in. That means stadium staff being back for at least 3 or 4 days each week, plus an extra day for speedway.

The BSPL have said previously that speedway will not happen behind closed doors as it would not be financially sustainable' 

As soon as permission is given ie the lockdown is relaxed sufficiently then every club will look at their potential income streams to see if it will work.  Glasgow have admitted that a great proportion of their revenue comes from fan attendance, however other clubs (possibly including Poole) might  have stronger income streams from other sources eg sponsorship, banner advertising and programme advertising etc as well as revenue from admissions.

Edited by Skidder1

5 hours ago, Supersub said:

Spot on Keith. Greyhounds Transferred to Swindon till at least October. Stadia UK have furloughed virtually all staff and therefore stadium will be difficult to operate without the staff and so I imagine speedway it’s unlikely this season. Also if social distancing is still in place I think it will be very difficult to implement at a speedway meeting and I can’t imagine they can run speedway without crowds

I think you are right cant see greyhounds until later in the year anyway . all the dogs will have to be trialled  again round the stadium race track . will be to late for speedway then I think Glasgow had the right idea wait until next year just my opinion of course

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

If/when the Government decides that it is safe for sports like Speedway to return, with whatever social distancing guidelines are in place at that time, then surely the same will apply to greyhound racing. Stadia UK have said that greyhounds will return to Poole as soon as the public are allowed back in. That means stadium staff being back for at least 3 or 4 days each week, plus an extra day for speedway.

The BSPL have said previously that speedway will not happen behind closed doors as it would not be financially sustainable' 

As soon as permission is given ie the lockdown is relaxed sufficiently then every club will look at their potential income streams to see if it will work.  Glasgow have admitted that a great proportion of their revenue comes from fan attendance, however other clubs (possibly including Poole) might  have stronger income streams from other sources eg sponsorship, banner advertising and programme advertising etc as well as revenue from admissions.

A few years ago Matt could well have run behind close doors on sponsorship alone, he's said as much.

However I fear those heady days are well and truly behind us and even if this was to be the case, I'm sure even the most ardent sponsor would fail to see the funny side of all his centre green banners playing to an empty grandstand and his programme advertising still neatly packed in the box straight off the Ferag!  

12 hours ago, Fixer2 said:

A few years ago Matt could well have run behind close doors on sponsorship alone, he's said as much.

However I fear those heady days are well and truly behind us and even if this was to be the case, I'm sure even the most ardent sponsor would fail to see the funny side of all his centre green banners playing to an empty grandstand and his programme advertising still neatly packed in the box straight off the Ferag!  

My point was when the lockdown is lifted sufficiently to allow speedway/greyhounds and similar sports to take place with a 'socially- distanced crowd', so that advertisers, sponsors will get their brand seen by fans attending. Whenever/if ever the lockdown is further eased then its likely that the 2-metre rule will also change. Boris (and some other countries) are already suggesting 1 metre distance might be enough and that would equate to just a couple of arm lengths.

Danny is clearly of the opinion that it can work otherwise he wouldn't have stated it publicly in yesterday's articles.

Edited by Skidder1

19 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

My point was when the lockdown is lifted sufficiently to allow speedway/greyhounds and similar sports to take place with a 'socially- distanced crowd', so that advertisers, sponsors will get their brand seen by fans attending. Whenever/if ever the lockdown is further eased then its likely that the 2-metre rule will also change. Boris (and some other countries) are already suggesting 1 metre distance might be enough and that would equate to just a couple of arm lengths.

Danny is clearly of the opinion that it can work otherwise he wouldn't have stated it publicly in yesterday's articles.

I thought we were the only country with a 2-metre the rest were one may be wrong though

42 minutes ago, ray c said:

I thought we were the only country with a 2-metre the rest were one may be wrong though

It does vary from country to country between 1m and 2m. Canada and Spain also use 2m while the World Health Organisation recommends just 1 m. If only we followed that it would make reopening the sport and leasure here so very much easier, not to mention transport. 

i would take any price there wont be any more dog racing at Wimborne road , poole

Edited by ruckerroo

4 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

i would take any price there wont be any more dog racing at Wimborne road , poole

How do you work that out no dogs no speedway either then 

22 hours ago, tyretrax said:

I think you can work for the employer who has furloughed you but they cannot claim furlough money for these hours.

That is in a way incorrect, a furlough claim has a minimum period of three weeks, therefore you cannot claim for 6 days then miss one then claim for 4 days etc etc. 

Edit

It would appear I’m incorrect, apologies.

On 29 May 2020, the Chancellor announced changes to the Scheme.  

Existing scheme closure and ‘flexible furlough’

• The old Scheme will close to new entrants on 30 June.  
  • From this point onwards, employers will only be able to furlough employees that they have furloughed for a full three week period prior to 30 June.
  • Employers who want to place new employees on furlough must do so by 10 June so the minimum 3 week period required can be achieved.
  • From 1 July, flexible furlough can be used.
  • For example, an employee who works 5 days a week can be brought back to work for 2 days a week. The employer will pay wages for those 2 days as normal. The Scheme will “continue to cover” the employee for the other 3 working days.
Edited by Diamondboy