British Speedway Forum

10 hours ago, ovalfan said:

Like Long Eaton which was specified sport only (and some others). It now has housing on it. Any covenant means absolutely nothing.

Would agree with that, there'll be a way round anything post/during covid.

2 hours ago, Trackrat said:

Who said 2020 was all bad, might even buy one of the houses.

So you would like to see another speedway club go to the wall 

7 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Ignore his comment 

The old Poole Council (now BCP Council) had identified part of the disused office space on Wimborne Road and part of the car and lorry park at the stadium for potential housing. No developer identified but if one did come forward with with the finance and any proposal to build on the whole site, then an alternative site for the stadium would have to be found elsewhere. (Yes I know I've heard it all before, but.....) Not sure if the new housing targets have changed with the new BCP Council?? The only Housing Action Plan I can find identifies the railway goods yard adjacent to the stadium - nothing mentioning the stadium at all!!

There was a scheme about 5 years ago to re-model the stadium on the same site which would require a 90 degree turnround to house speedway and at least one other sport, but not speedway, dogs and footie together!!!!  (Poole Town FC are somewhat between a rock and a hard place as they have had so many financial loans from the FA to develop their Tatnum ground that if they moved they would have to repay all that money!!  --- and they are skint with the begging bowl out on many recent occasions!!!)

Tha remodelled stadium would have meant missing out on speedway for at least a year which MF wasn't keen on.

Edited by Skidder1

Get Poole Town back..

Remove the greyhound track then resite the speedway track to get the football pitch in.

Stock cars maybe?

Build flats on the car park?

There must be a viable proposition in there somewhere...

• Like 1

Poole town fc tried to relocate ten years ago with out success and the speedway club will find it even harder worrying times for our sport in poole just my opinìon of course 

2 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

Only Paul

Poole Speedway owner Matt Ford is urging for "calm and patience" amidst the on-going speculation with regard to activities at the club's base, Wimborne Road.

On Wednesday, the speedway's landlords, Poole Stadium Ltd, part of Gaming International announced that they were entering a consultation period with their staff that could result in redundancy  adding "whilst no definitive decision has been taken on the future of the business, given all the circumstances that we face with Greyhound Racing in Poole, it is appropriate to commence this process of consultation now."

In respect to speedway operations at the venue Ford has admitted "at this moment in time we haven't had any contact from our Landlords to tell us about any changes in the plans for Poole Speedway to be running although we are of course aware that many of our friends that are associated with the Greyhound racing operation and whom we work with at the stadium, are facing difficult times and our thoughts are with them as they receive this heartbreaking news."  

"As far as Poole Speedway is concerned I would ask people not to read too much into this , we are at the beginning of August and don't plan to open until the end of March, although we have voiced a thought that if possible we might look to run something in January and possibly February. I did try to contact George Edwards of Poole Stadium Ltd about 10 to 14 days ago to explore that but unfortunately he couldn't take my call at the time and we are not reading anything in to that other than the fact that he and his team would have been very busy at that point in dealing with their business issues. Also, with the current situation regarding stadia occupancy in the UK due to the Covid-19 restrictions there was probably little they could do anyway as the stadium needs to remain closed to public attendance."

"That said, we have every intention of running in 2021. The stadium was left to the people of Poole to remain a sporting venue and we have the team's premium sport which is as important to Poole as AFC Bournemouth is to Bournemouth and so we expect to be coming to the tapes next year just as we would have this year had it not been for the pandemic virus. We will be working with the landlords and if necessary, BCP council over the coming weeks and months to ensure that one of the biggest worldwide brands in speedway - the Poole Pirates - will continue to flourish in 2021 and beyond. So I would just urge everyone to avoid rumour mongering, stay calm and we will be back with more news on the longevity of the club as and when we have it."

https://www.poole-speedway.com/news/view/2020-08-06-ford-pleads-for-fans-to-stay-calm-amidst-stadium-speculation

40 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Only Paul

At least we can spell in dorset 

8 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

At least we can spell in dorset 

And me.... houses, car park, tarmac, flats, shops...

21 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

And me.... houses, car park, tarmac, flats, shops...

Let's hope your team don't go the same way then 

10 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Let's hope your team don't go the same way then 

Doesn’t 

Apologies if this has already been asked/covered elsewhere on this topic

Is Poole Speedway's lease direct with the stadium owner (BCP?) or do they sub-lease from our friends at Gaming International?

4 minutes ago, The H Man said:

Apologies if this has already been asked/covered elsewhere on this topic

Is Poole Speedway's lease direct with the stadium owner (BCP?) or do they sub-lease from our friends at Gaming International?

Gaming international