British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

The Newcastle thread said it was a '6 block'.. (?)..

With THJ going into great detail as to why it was thus..

Maybe the council have agreed another plan?

If so, sounds much more fan friendly.. 

(Either that or you are going to have 5 new friends sat with you)..:D

It's blocks of 6 what they want to fill as a 6 if possible but if a pair wanted a slot they could use a six block and still just pay for 2... if that makes sense... Newcastle did have limited numbers of 2 slots and 4 slots anyway and it's all down to social distancing... 

It looks like Poole can have 30% of the max capacity of the stadium and I don't know what that equates to so say 900 fans if the place holds 3000... therefore that's 150 plots with 6 people in spaces 2 metres apart... 

So... and not having been to Poole Stadium I don't know... could you fit 150 blocks in the stadium that will allow for the recommended space of 2 metres social distancing... Will they get 900 or whatever fans coming to the meeting because let's be fair these promoters aren't daft and want as many people in they can get and they certainly won't be charging one person the price of 6 to get in the stadium ffs if they cant fill all the blocks...

Why does everything have to be taken to the ridiculous end of the spectrum... give the Promotion a little credit they want as many in as possible but at the same time the have to ensure everyone's safety... and no doubt they will...

Why turn a drama into a crisis... email the club tell them your predicament and I am sure you will be accommodated...

As you rightly say Mike there is always the opportunity to "bubble up" with other Poole fans to make a 6... become a Speedway Bubble...

Regards 

THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Yep, as soon as I read they were involved in the talks I thought they hit a dead end with GI.

Mmm I heard a different version.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sugarray said:

Mmm I heard a different version.

That's fine! My thinking very rarely seems to be correct lol

• Haha 1

Had a good long chat with a person of note last night. He explained in detail the reasoning of why tickets need to be sold in batches of 6. And it was really out of his hands. 

As you can all guess, the landlord did not want the stadium re-opened. They only have 2 staff and making a mint out of the car park. 500 cars at £7 a day. 

Matt Ford now HAS TO employ 21 covid security staff, all qualified in covid security, and costing Poole Speedway £2100 a meeting. He can’t use the regular stewards if they have not attended the relevant covid security courses. So £100 a pop and there has to be 21.

The club have not been allowed any access into the stadium since the first lockdown. They can now finally get in and start to tidy up, get the place marked out, and get the riders without track time the opportunity to get some desperately needed practice. Hopefully today a behind closed doors session.

Now to the ticketing. The council said 900 fans could attend. Matt said that would mean a loss. So it’s been upped to 1200, with just 400 allowed in the glass grandstand, 500 in the main and the rest on the bends. If Matt sold a single ticket, that would rule out 5 fans, as the 1 fan would sit in an area for 6 and no others would be allowed to sit there. It would reduce attendance to about 500 and a big financial loss.

The meeting will be streamed live. Unsure what the fee will be to watch, probably the same as Glasgow. The club are definitely looking into streaming meetings live. It will come down to cost. I think I heard the overall cost of £2000 for this meeting to be streamed. Think the price would be considerably less per meeting for the club going forward. 

The reason the Berwick meeting is not being delayed until after 21st June is two fold. The fans want to see racing, and secondly, as a team, to ride several away meetings with no home meetings could mean the team start with several defeats which doesn’t give the riders confidence. Wins breed confidence.

There was plenty more which is currently best left alone at the moment, but the main thing is Poole Speedway will be up and running on 9th June and we can thank Matt Ford for some seriously determined words and for the council to finally get off their arse and back him.

Now after thinking about the 6 ticket situation, I would say this as my thoughts. Call/Facebook/Twitter/email/message/Instagram/Telegram/WhatsApp your friends who you meet at the stadium, and get one to buy 6 tickets. The have the others PayPal or transfer their ticket money to you. Or meet the at the stadium car park and pay you for the ticket. It’s the only way to guarantee access to the meeting. Is this breaking the rules? I guess so. But most of us have had our second jab, we are outside, and we are wearing masks. The security are not going to ask if we are two families or one. If they do, you are all brothers or sisters. If you are unhappy about this paragraph, that’s fine and understandable. You can pay and watch the meeting on a live stream. But I just don’t see any other way of gaining access to the stadium other than what I have just written.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Had a good long chat with a person of note last night. He explained in detail the reasoning of why tickets need to be sold in batches of 6. And it was really out of his hands. 

As you can all guess, the landlord did not want the stadium re-opened. They only have 2 staff and making a mint out of the car park. 500 cars at £7 a day. 

Matt Ford now HAS TO employ 21 covid security staff, all qualified in covid security, and costing Poole Speedway £2100 a meeting. He can’t use the regular stewards if they have not attended the relevant covid security courses. So £100 a pop and there has to be 21.

The club have not been allowed any access into the stadium since the first lockdown. They can now finally get in and start to tidy up, get the place marked out, and get the riders without track time the opportunity to get some desperately needed practice. Hopefully today a behind closed doors session.

Now to the ticketing. The council said 900 fans could attend. Matt said that would mean a loss. So it’s been upped to 1200, with just 400 allowed in the glass grandstand, 500 in the main and the rest on the bends. If Matt sold a single ticket, that would rule out 5 fans, as the 1 fan would sit in an area for 6 and no others would be allowed to sit there. It would reduce attendance to about 500 and a big financial loss.

The meeting will be streamed live. Unsure what the fee will be to watch, probably the same as Glasgow. The club are definitely looking into streaming meetings live. It will come down to cost. I think I heard the overall cost of £2000 for this meeting to be streamed. Think the price would be considerably less per meeting for the club going forward. 

The reason the Berwick meeting is not being delayed until after 21st June is two fold. The fans want to see racing, and secondly, as a team, to ride several away meetings with no home meetings could mean the team start with several defeats which doesn’t give the riders confidence. Wins breed confidence.

There was plenty more which is currently best left alone at the moment, but the main thing is Poole Speedway will be up and running on 9th June and we can thank Matt Ford for some seriously determined words and for the council to finally get off their arse and back him.

Now after thinking about the 6 ticket situation, I would say this as my thoughts. Call/Facebook/Twitter/email/message/Instagram/Telegram/WhatsApp your friends who you meet at the stadium, and get one to buy 6 tickets. The have the others PayPal or transfer their ticket money to you. Or meet the at the stadium car park and pay you for the ticket. It’s the only way to guarantee access to the meeting. Is this breaking the rules? I guess so. But most of us have had our second jab, we are outside, and we are wearing masks. The security are not going to ask if we are two families or one. If they do, you are all brothers or sisters. If you are unhappy about this paragraph, that’s fine and understandable. You can pay and watch the meeting on a live stream. But I just don’t see any other way of gaining access to the stadium other than what I have just written.

I don't disagree with any of that except the 4th para. Danny and volunteer workforce were working at the track a couple of weekends ago, so a start has been made albeit a small one.

How about starting a 'crowd funding' to help with the cost of the extra marshalls? Or maybe the supporters club (R.E.F.) might like to donate as they have continued to take member subscriptions right through lockdown?

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I am not sure about that. Just cos you've had the vaccine doesn't mean you can't pass it on to someone else. They are still not sure how transmissable it is. Sometimes Steve, you can't do whatever you want and you just have to suck it up for a month or so.

Edit  - Or you ask around and see if there is a family of 5 (from one household) you can go with!

Edited by lisa-colette

What is the point of all the moaning?

Embrace what we have to work with.

The only other option was to shut for this year and probably for good.

• Like 6

On another point, the promotion is considering if the fans would prefer a Friday or Saturday race night now that the dogs have gone. 

We have been a Wednesday night club for a long time before shifting to Thursdays, which brought about a 20% drop in season tickets. Would fans prefer to come along with their kids on a weekend with no school the next day? I believe there are going to be a couple of weekend meetings in the pipeline this season.

22 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

On another point, the promotion is considering if the fans would prefer a Friday or Saturday race night now that the dogs have gone. 

We have been a Wednesday night club for a long time before shifting to Thursdays, which brought about a 20% drop in season tickets. Would fans prefer to come along with their kids on a weekend with no school the next day? I believe there are going to be a couple of weekend meetings in the pipeline this season.

If the Leicester meeting could be moved to a Saturday or Sunday that would make good sense as I am confident a number of fans would travel along with possibly a coach like they did to Eastbourne and Berwick  in 2019 

Saturday night at Wimborne Road would be great. Certainly attract away fans and neutrals.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Saturday night at Wimborne Road would be great. Certainly attract away fans and neutrals.

If they're allowed in!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Certainly seems to have worked for Leicester if the attendances quoted on their thread are accurate.. 

ie drop down, stop paying out for GP riders and stop having to ride mid week to accommodate them.

Net result? Larger crowds at weekends watching (due to the amount of DU's), a great many of exactly the same riders they would have seen riding anyway if they had stayed at the 'top level'.. 

• Like 3

Wednesdays have traditionally been Poole's home night.  Fridays or Saturdays would see speedway competing with a host of other attractions at a time when people traditionally go out and spend their money on other things - and there are plenty of other options locally despite what some may think.!

The occasional weekend meeting may work if announced and well planned in advance so as not to clash with any other attractions. As things begin to recover from lockdown and other sports/activities/entetainment return to normal, many take place  at weekends and will risk splitting your audience.

Edited by Skidder1

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Wednesdays have traditionally been Poole's home night.  Fridays or Saturdays would see speedway competing with a host of other attractions at a time when people traditionally go out and spend their money on other things.!

The occasional weekend meeting may work if announced and well planned in advance so as not to clash with any other attractions. As things begin to recover from lockdown and other sports/activities/entetainment return to normal, many take place  at weekends and will risk splitting your audience.

You would get more families attending if it was at the weekend. What sort of attractions are you talking about? Plus you would get the tourists that are down for the weekend. I think it would work.