British Speedway Forum

6 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

It's good to get one meeting on but what's the long term solution here?

From what I've read in the Star over the past couple of weeks and in the local press it's a bit of a worry.

The only thing that makes sense to me is for Stadia UK to forfeit their lease if they don't intend to use it as a sporting venue. If Stadia UK are still operating the venue how does it work bringing in staff to replace ones that have been made redundant regardless of who's paying them?

Now that the dogs are gone could there now be room for Poole Town to return to the stadium and share with the Speedway? I realise that the track would need to be moved as there's not currently enough room. That would be the ideal solution to me, with the council as the landlord. 

It seems though that there are plans to develop the whole site though and it all sounds a bit like the Swindon situation to me and frankly I fear the worst.

The financial barrier for Poole Town FC to return to the stadium is that they would have to repay £thousands to the F.A. that they've received for ground improvements at their Tatnum ground.  £Thousands that they don't have as evidenced by the continued appeals for assistance to keep going.

Similar reasons for not groundsharing with AFC Bournemouth.

6 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

It's good to get one meeting on but what's the long term solution here?

From what I've read in the Star over the past couple of weeks and in the local press it's a bit of a worry.

The only thing that makes sense to me is for Stadia UK to forfeit their lease if they don't intend to use it as a sporting venue. If Stadia UK are still operating the venue how does it work bringing in staff to replace ones that have been made redundant regardless of who's paying them?

Now that the dogs are gone could there now be room for Poole Town to return to the stadium and share with the Speedway? I realise that the track would need to be moved as there's not currently enough room. That would be the ideal solution to me, with the council as the landlord. 

It seems though that there are plans to develop the whole site though and it all sounds a bit like the Swindon situation to me and frankly I fear the worst.

Big difference. The council own the stadium as a gift for the people of Poole to only be used as a sporting stadium. GI are renters/leaseholders. Nothing more.

They prefer the stadium shut because it then costs them nothing. They now only have 2 staff to operate the car park. They let go all their stadium staff. For the carpark 500 x £7 every day is like printing money. £3500 x 5 days min is thank you very much as it is used by the hospital staff. Ok that’s the max but it’s always full. GI will not relinquish the lease. Neither will they touch the stadium, so don’t expect an shiny new stands. If the stadium is to. E improved it will have to be done by speedway fans raising the funds.

As for the football returning, who is going to pay 40-50,000 for a new track?

6 hours ago, ch958 said:

how far away is Ringwood? Could that not be developed?

As has been said, Mx got stopped by the local housing group. The leader of that group? None other than former Poole Co-Promoter Terry Chandler!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Big difference. The council own the stadium as a gift for the people of Poole to only be used as a sporting stadium. GI are renters/leaseholders. Nothing more.

They prefer the stadium shut because it then costs them nothing. They now only have 2 staff to operate the car park. They let go all their stadium staff. For the carpark 500 x £7 every day is like printing money. £3500 x 5 days min is thank you very much as it is used by the hospital staff. Ok that’s the max but it’s always full. GI will not relinquish the lease. Neither will they touch the stadium, so don’t expect an shiny new stands. If the stadium is to. E improved it will have to be done by speedway fans raising the funds.

you ought to ring the stadium and get george edwards phone number .unless of course you already have it and get maybe another version of your story .:t::t:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I don't expect anything.

My concern is how this situation moves forward. I have no knowledge of the lease details so I'm only going on what I've read on here or bits and pieces I've seen in the media.

From what's been said, we have a situation where the lease holders don't want to operate it as a sporting venue but from what you've said it was gifted to the people of Poole as a sporting venue so it would seem they are in breach of the lease conditions by operating the venue as solely a carpark?

Apart from the glass enclosure which was primarily for dogs, the stadium is just the same as it was 50 years ago when I first went there so it needs significant investment for its future use as a sporting venue. Who makes that investment, I don't know? 

The landlords (the council) certainly won't, the lease holders don't want to and the speedway can't afford to which is my concern. So where do we go from here?

I certainly wasn't suggesting that moving the track was something that could be done easily to accommodate Poole Town and obviously the loan situations to develop their current home complicates things but if it's future is as a sporting venue for the people of Poole it has to accommodate more than Speedway.

13 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

I don't expect anything.

My concern is how this situation moves forward. I have no knowledge of the lease details so I'm only going on what I've read on here or bits and pieces I've seen in the media.

From what's been said, we have a situation where the lease holders don't want to operate it as a sporting venue but from what you've said it was gifted to the people of Poole as a sporting venue so it would seem they are in breach of the lease conditions by operating the venue as solely a carpark?

Apart from the glass enclosure which was primarily for dogs, the stadium is just the same as it was 50 years ago when I first went there so it needs significant investment for its future use as a sporting venue. Who makes that investment, I don't know? 

The landlords (the council) certainly won't, the lease holders don't want to and the speedway can't afford to which is my concern. So where do we go from here?

I certainly wasn't suggesting that moving the track was something that could be done easily to accommodate Poole Town and obviously the loan situations to develop their current home complicates things but if it's future is as a sporting venue for the people of Poole it has to accommodate more than Speedway.

i believe if gaming international gave up the lease it would revert to the council who would sell it of to the highest bidder just my opinion of course 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ray c said:

i believe if gaming international gave up the lease it would revert to the council who would sell it of to the highest bidder just my opinion of course 

I find it unusual these comments we are seeing.

I have spoken at length to staff at the stadium and they still are looking at ways of using the arena. But you already know this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hrhbig said:

Ringwood and Matchams is in Dorset, but I don't think viable due to location.

Ringwood is just 4 miles up the road from me and is definitely in Hampshire.

Matchams address is given as, Matchams Leisure Park, Hurn Road, Ringwood, Hampshire BH24 2BT....It is nearer to St Leonards which is in Dorset:blink:...so not sure on Matchams.

1 hour ago, ray c said:

ray surely if gaming international wanted "out" of the lease they would sell it themselves and not give it back to the council for them to sell(clarke osborne hasnt got where he is today by giving things away!!!) Its my opinion for what its worth that they have no intention of offloading the stadium,too many possibilities in the pipeline over the next few years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sugarray said:

I find it unusual these comments we are seeing.

I have spoken at length to staff at the stadium and they still are looking at ways of using the arena. But you already know this.  

Guess the 2 car parking attendants (the only staff allegedly still employed)  you spoke at length to have ideas on how they could park more cars around the track and on the old football pitch andmaximise their income ?

Any plans afoot for the redevelopment of Poole Town centre with luxury apartments and a sprinkling of affordable housing. Surely that will become the financially attractive option to the Poole council as the costs of maintaining their asset keep on rising year on year ?? 

1 hour ago, scottyfan said:

Ringwood is just 4 miles up the road from me and is definitely in Hampshire.

Matchams address is given as, Matchams Leisure Park, Hurn Road, Ringwood, Hampshire BH24 2BT....It is nearer to St Leonards which is in Dorset:blink:...so not sure on Matchams.

Yep, I live in Ringwood and it is definitely Hampshire!! At least 15 miles from Poole. ( Bournemouth to Ringwood is 10 miles - so prob 15-17 miles away.)

9 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Agree about Poole's location. Easy walk from railway station, hotels nearby as is the High Street and the Quay.

Couldn't be better from a visiting fan's perspective.

When I have been, I notice a lot of people walking to/from the stadium.

Not many walk to Arlington, for example!

Billy Hamill says in his autobiography that he used to get lost finding the Poole stadium!! Hahaha.

14 hours ago, ray c said:

you ought to ring the stadium and get george edwards phone number .unless of course you already have it and get maybe another version of your story .:t::t:

That is what I heard. You saying it’s completely wrong?

13 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

That is what I heard. You saying it’s completely wrong?

no i am saying there maybe another version . as sugarry said they are looking at  events to get the stadium up and running again after lockdown is over . i do agree it needs an upgrade sooner rather than later 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Billy Hamill says in his autobiography that he used to get lost finding the Poole stadium!! Hahaha.

That's funny---of course it is hardly a USA-style Freeway down to the stadium!

• Like 1