British Speedway Forum

For the first time ever I can honestly say that I am not too bothered where we finish in the league this season. Sure it would be great to be successful in our first championship season, but I just want to see some good racing with a Poole team that tries hard and displays that "Pirate Pride".

I have only been supporting the Pirates since 2008 after my local team (Oxford) folded in 2007 and living in Buckinghamshire (100 miles each way) could only get down a few times every year. However, just before Christmas I took the plunge and moved to Poole! So now I am looking forward to being able to walk to every home meeting!

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Pirate Rich said:

For the first time ever I can honestly say that I am not too bothered where we finish in the league this season. Sure it would be great to be successful in our first championship season, but I just want to see some good racing with a Poole team that tries hard and displays that "Pirate Pride".

I have only been supporting the Pirates since 2008 after my local team (Oxford) folded in 2007 and living in Buckinghamshire (100 miles each way) could only get down a few times every year. However, just before Christmas I took the plunge and moved to Poole! So now I am looking forward to being able to walk to every home meeting!

Hope you enjoy your season as a fully fledged pirate Rich,  I'm very much looking forward to visiting Poole this season to watch my team Plymouth against the pirates. Totally agree about not being bothered about winning trophies for us Plymouth fans we're just happy to be in the championship mind you there is one or two teams i would enjoy beating tbh.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pirate Rich said:

Welcome to Poole Rich.

12 hours ago, lewy said:

Hope you enjoy your season as a fully fledged pirate Rich,  I'm very much looking forward to visiting Poole this season to watch my team Plymouth against the pirates. Totally agree about not being bothered about winning trophies for us Plymouth fans we're just happy to be in the championship mind you there is one or two teams i would enjoy beating tbh.

Me to maybe I’m bitter and twisted from the old conference days but I’d love to give Scunthorpe a good pasting I’ve nothing against Scunthorpe fans at all,just we used to come  up short against them many moons ago and I’d like some payback.

20 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Skidder - This is a forum where we can share opinion and not just sing the praises of the owners.

I have expressed an opinion and made comments which all are free to respond to negative or positive.

I have also followed the Aussie seasons for a number of years now when we are in our Winter hibernation mode. I follow regular the Aussie sites as well as Youtube and the main Polish Speedway news site which shows all the results/comments and some meeting highlights.

I have openly said that I HOPE that both Keleher & Cook step up to the plate. If they can't do it against a lot of weaker/inexprerienced reserves in this weaker league then they are obviously not of the quality the so called experts make them out to be. Personally I prefer both Macdonald & Kennedy but they are other clubs assets (but both available to Poole).  both of them have UK experience and both had their UK breakthrough initial season. I think both would have progressed and would have been good switching in and out of reserve at this even more watered down level in 2021. We could even have had Ben's younger brother Zack as no Somerset and he is arguably in many Aussie's eye a better rider than Ben. Based on both Aussie results from previous seasons and future ability.

As mentioned I hope my observation is misplaced but based on studying reports/results of these guys my opinion is as it is. Would love to be proved wrong but let's see as the season unfolds.

As for Matt's Aussie contacts - Let's not forget that most of the Aussie NON UK Club asset riders were already signed up & sorted when he signed our 2.  Ben was coming with Zach so made sense and Keleher had been telling all of Europe how good he was for ages before he signed. Let's hope the ability and scoring matches his own hype. 

Absolutely no problem with you having your opinion. I just disagree with some of it. Especially reading the report of the meeting and Zane's own comments. He won the G and F finals and had mechanical failure in E final - all 3 minutes apart and all after hitting the fence and having a starting infringement  earlier in the meeting

Other than last Saturday's meeting what other 'reports/results' of Zane Keleher have you studied?

As for Ben Cook (who with Zach spent a fair chunk of 2019 over here at Middlo's), he outscored several 'senior' riders the week before!!

Brother Zach was also on the way to Plymouth once Somerset made their announcement.

Edited by Skidder1

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Absolutely no problem with you having your opinion. I just disagree with some of it. Especially reading the report of the meeting and Zane's own comments. He won the G and F finals and had mechanical failure in E final - all 3 minutes apart and all after hitting the fence and having a starting infringement  earlier in the meeting

Other than last Saturday's meeting what other 'reports/results' of Zane Keleher have you studied?

As for Ben Cook (who with Zach spent a fair chunk of 2019 over here at Middlo's), he outscored several 'senior' riders the week before!!

Brother Zach was also on the way to Plymouth once Somerset made their announcement.

We could get into a long debate if I want to check back over the last few years but won't.

Lets just leave it that we have a difference of opinion on the merits of Keleher/Cook snr against say Kennedy and perhaps Josh Mac.

I repeat that I really hope I am wrong and both pile on the points for Poole in their respective roles of main team and reserve. As fro Zach Cook. Was not going to happen because Matt/Danny had already commited to the riders that he would keep the same team in 2021. It was only the Rising Star rule & POL rule changes that forced their hands. I say forced but they could have chosen Josh over Ben but chose the asset route. 

I hope Josh gets a berth in UK when we can hopefully then compare progress of one who had a maiden UK season against a completely untried rider on these shores. Keleher for me still has to live us to the hype that he may be a really good rider. On a 4 he should be a bargain signing but again having never ridden here we shall see.

On 2/25/2021 at 8:22 AM, Mike0310 said:

Me to maybe I’m bitter and twisted from the old conference days but I’d love to give Scunthorpe a good pasting I’ve nothing against Scunthorpe fans at all,just we used to come  up short against them many moons ago and I’d like some payback.

i could see you giving us a couple of pastings this season tbh

Still can’t see there being any speedway in the UK this year....The “New” Brazilian strain will just be the start of putting the end of lockdown back even further. Wouldn’t be surprised if the country is still in lockdown this time next year!!!:mad::mad::mad:

15 minutes ago, scottyfan said:

Still can’t see there being any speedway in the UK this year....The “New” Brazilian strain will just be the start of putting the end of lockdown back even further. Wouldn’t be surprised if the country is still in lockdown this time next year!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Well at least Danny Ford is much more confident than you seem to be.  New sponsorship/partnership packages announced today via the club website www.poole-speedway.com

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Well at least Danny Ford is much more confident than you seem to be.  New sponsorship/partnership packages announced today via the club website www.poole-speedway.com

Won’t be anything Dan Ford (or any other promoter) will be able to do if/when our incompetent government decide there will be no crowds at sporting events for the foreseeable future!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, scottyfan said:

It will not be just the "Brazilian" strain that will cause this but the high number of "cov-idiots" :icon_smile_clown:s that travelled out over the weekend after a few days of reasonable weather at this time of year. WE ARE STILL IN LOCKDOWN FOR HEAVENS SAKE! :angry: :mad:

• Like 9

Poole's 'Rising Star' Danyon Hume is looking for some local sponsorship before his kevlars go into production.

His request has been shared in various Facebook groups.

Full 2021 Admission and Season Tickets info coming soon!

14 hours ago, scottyfan said:

So when is this information going to be forthcoming???

When they get the right sort of agreement to run from the Stadium people I guess?!

I hear a whisper there is an ongoing negotiation over whether the glass grandstand/restaurant/bars/loos will open and if so who will operate them and what effect that may have on the rental costs to the Pirates Promotion?!  I haven't seen or heard of any other sports/activities that Stadia UK have attracted to replace greyhounds!!  Only a whisper but..............................

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1