British Speedway Forum

Poole being allowed to use a guest rider in place of a rider whom they have sacked or for a rider they haven't yet signed, seems nonsensical to me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is wondering how Poole manage to get away with doing this?

The logic should surely have been for Poole to sign their Czech rider and be sure of landing him, BEFORE ditching the man he is supposed to have replaced?

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

Poole being allowed to use a guest rider in place of a rider whom they have sacked or for a rider they haven't yet signed, seems nonsensical to me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is wondering how Poole manage to get away with doing this?

The logic should surely have been for Poole to sign their Czech rider and be sure of landing him, BEFORE ditching the man he is supposed to have replaced?

Poole DID sign him and he was declared in their 1-7 which BSPL approved along with all the paperwork. It was the Czech Govt that changed their Covid travel restrictions the day after that put the cat amongst the pigeons.  The BSPL granted a 7-day facility which is now over but replaced with ruling referred to above.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, eric i said:

The no facility rule used to be NL rider only, this is a new rule. I just wish the BSPA would issue a statement when they change the rules.

They did. Back in 2020 when it was brought in

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

They did. Back in 2020 when it was brought in

link to press release?

6 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

I stand corrected although the rule is still not properly communicated to the fans as it says....... 

'A rider absent for an unauthorised reason can now be replaced by a rider with an average of 2.50 lower than the missing rider.'

and the rulebook says.......... A guest 25% lower that the absent rider.

10 minutes ago, eric i said:

I stand corrected although the rule is still not properly communicated to the fans as it says....... 

'A rider absent for an unauthorised reason can now be replaced by a rider with an average of 2.50 lower than the missing rider.'

and the rulebook says.......... A guest 25% lower that the absent rider.

It may have been amended and announced afterwards, but that was the first bit I saw to show the rule was announced at least

21 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

It may have been amended and announced afterwards, but that was the first bit I saw to show the rule was announced at least

Amended again the following year! Well it wouldn't surprise me this is the BSPA.

6 minutes ago, eric i said:

Amended again the following year! Well it wouldn't surprise me this is the BSPA.

In fairness, a percentage works much better than a set number

I think the ruling was brought in based on the fact, cough cough, Redcar had to use an NL 3 average guest for their no1 but this new amendment of 25% less is more appropriate & covers all riders.

• Like 1

There’s a name I………..have never heard of! :D

But welcome to the club Ben!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

There’s a name I………..have never heard of! :D

But welcome to the club Ben!

Me either. But didn't Klindt recomend NBJ, so I guess he knows what he is talking about! ;)

Scored 6pts in Denmarks U23 team win in Brokstedt on Sunday. 

They won the meeting with 47pts over Germany  44pts while GB finished 3rd with 27pts

Quite a tidy rider by all accounts.

• Like 1

SIGNING | PIRATES SIGN RATED DANE
 Poole Pirates have filled the vacancy left by the complications in travel encountered by Czech rider Ondrej Smetana, by signing the promising young Dane Benjamin Basso.
 The 20 year old (born 2nd July 2001) who was a member of the Danish national side that took on Team GB at King's Lynn in October 2019 follows in the footsteps of three former Danish riders who have had Pirates experience, as he was crowned the 2016 World Youth Speedway Champion, a title previously won by Leon Madsen (2000), Nicolai Klindt (2001) and Frederik Jakobsen (2013).
 Poole owner Matt Ford said "I spoke to Nicolai about Benjamin and he thought he would be an ideal fit but he thought he had Polish commitments to fulfil which would have precluded him from joining us. I then had a conversation with Frederik who gave me the tip-off that Benjamin was so keen to come to the UK that he would give Poland a miss if there was a chance he could ride for us.
 "But I have to say, it has not been an easy ride to get the signing completed as there has been a lot of additional hurdles in our way as a consequence of Brexit, including a spoken language test and a personal hearing before he was granted the necessary paperwork to allow him to get the clearance needed. Once again, we are hugely grateful to Nigel Leahy who helped steer us all through the process.
 "As for Benjamin himself, he won't be eligible until Friday and that means something of a baptism of fire for the lad around the small Armadale circuit. We need to be sensible and not put any undue pressure on his young shoulders but I feel that working alongside the likes of Danny [King] and Rory [Schlein] we will be able to bring his career along and given that he currently holds a higher average for his Danish side Fjelsted than both Frederik and Peter Kildemand we are already starting from a reasonable foundation."
 With his debut on Friday, Benjamin will face the busy schedule facing the Pirates for, after their SGB Championship meeting at Edinburgh on Friday, they go on to race at Berwick on Saturday and Newcastle on Sunday.
  • Thanks 1