British Speedway Forum

6 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

I’m out of touch when it comes to who is a good prospect and who isn’t these days. Since Rye House closed my interest has dwindled (it was heading that way before we closed in fairness). But there seems, and always has been this way, to be the opinion that being Australian makes a rider better than a Brit automatically. Some are, some aren’t. 

The Australian connection is partly in regards to what riders are left available as the ship has near enough sailed on most options available. Plus the seemingly door closing on preferred options Hansen & Lasse Bjerre.

For me its weighing up what are best options available on the 8.97 points left. Kurtz (a steady 5 pointer period) & a N/L rider (Hume/Bowtell/Kinsley) - Or a 5 point Continent relatively unknown (who probably would struggle to get 5) plus a N/L heat leader i.e Morley/Wood/Hume.

The other option as said before is 2 Aussies on 4. I see it that both could score decent points at reserve plus if young promising Aussies we could have 2 decent assets long term, and with Poole's track record of bringing along decent talented Aussie youngsters one would hope that in 2/3 years at least one of them improves a lot and even if the second one is only a 5.5 to 6 point rider by then then for me it is worthwhile.

I would think if it was 2 young Aussies going into the main team then yes could be difficult, but both would be at reserve and if you look at some of the Aussie talent then in my view they could do well against the many N/L reserves/young relatively inexperienced Brits who are finding their way.

3 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

The Australian connection is partly in regards to what riders are left available as the ship has near enough sailed on most options available. Plus the seemingly door closing on preferred options Hansen & Lasse Bjerre.

For me its weighing up what are best options available on the 8.97 points left. Kurtz (a steady 5 pointer period) & a N/L rider (Hume/Bowtell/Kinsley) - Or a 5 point Continent relatively unknown (who probably would struggle to get 5) plus a N/L heat leader i.e Morley/Wood/Hume.

The other option as said before is 2 Aussies on 4. I see it that both could score decent points at reserve plus if young promising Aussies we could have 2 decent assets long term, and with Poole's track record of bringing along decent talented Aussie youngsters one would hope that in 2/3 years at least one of them improves a lot and even if the second one is only a 5.5 to 6 point rider by then then for me it is worthwhile.

I would think if it was 2 young Aussies going into the main team then yes could be difficult, but both would be at reserve and if you look at some of the Aussie talent then in my view they could do well against the many N/L reserves/young relatively inexperienced Brits who are finding their way.

Of course it ultimately comes down to which Aussies. There are a good few who imo not worth going for as been around a while and will never make it in our league.

18 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

The likes of Bowtell/Morley/Wood have all had recent Championship team places. They shouldn't simply be dismissed as 'N/L riders'!!

Lets not forget we are looking at a 2nd string and reserve (or 2 reserves?) at Championship level - not Premiership!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

The likes of Bowtell/Morley/Wood have all had recent Championship team places. They shouldn't simply be dismissed as 'N/L riders'!!

Lets not forget we are looking at a 2nd string and reserve (or 2 reserves?) at Championship level - not Premiership!!

Yes all 3 are N/L heat leaders or Champ reserves and I am not denying that or dismissing.

But surely Poole have a responsibility to fill that 8.97 to the best of their ability. Especially with their first season in Champ and wanting to no doubt show most that they are capable of fielding a prospective title winning side. Just as the likes of Leic/Redcar have. 

My view is that having 2 decent and relatively young Aussies such as Gilmore/List/Keleher/Kennedy (if we exclude Hook/Rew), they may combined score more than say a Danish unknown on 5 and a N/L H/Leader. Just my opinion of course.

It could be that a decent young Aussie and a N/L heatleader is another option. It then comes down to who would you have between say Morley/Wood/Hume/Bowtell or even Kinsley. We should go for the one who has the highest av with the points we have available.

My view is that having seemingly missed out on Hansen & Bjerre, the stronger reserve pairing we can put together the better as this is an area we could really harvest some points to compensate the fact some other teams will have a stronger top 5 with 2 weaker reserves (or inexperienced young Brits still finding their way).

I have said before that being agonisingly short of 9 points left by 0.03 of a point is frustrating as it reduces the option of being able to sign a 5 point rider from the continent and say a young Aussie on a 4.

It could be of course that Poole have NO intention of signing 2 Aussies and plan say an Aussie and the best N/L heat leader they can get from what is left available which is near enough what I have named if you look at all the stats available.

37 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Yes all 3 are N/L heat leaders or Champ reserves and I am not denying that or dismissing.

But surely Poole have a responsibility to fill that 8.97 to the best of their ability. Especially with their first season in Champ and wanting to no doubt show most that they are capable of fielding a prospective title winning side. Just as the likes of Leic/Redcar have. 

My view is that having 2 decent and relatively young Aussies such as Gilmore/List/Keleher/Kennedy (if we exclude Hook/Rew), they may combined score more than say a Danish unknown on 5 and a N/L H/Leader. Just my opinion of course.

It could be that a decent young Aussie and a N/L heatleader is another option. It then comes down to who would you have between say Morley/Wood/Hume/Bowtell or even Kinsley. We should go for the one who has the highest av with the points we have available.

My view is that having seemingly missed out on Hansen & Bjerre, the stronger reserve pairing we can put together the better as this is an area we could really harvest some points to compensate the fact some other teams will have a stronger top 5 with 2 weaker reserves (or inexperienced young Brits still finding their way).

I have said before that being agonisingly short of 9 points left by 0.03 of a point is frustrating as it reduces the option of being able to sign a 5 point rider from the continent and say a young Aussie on a 4.

It could be of course that Poole have NO intention of signing 2 Aussies and plan say an Aussie and the best N/L heat leader they can get from what is left available which is near enough what I have named if you look at all the stats available.

Jedd List was awful last year for Scunthorpe. While I think he'll be better now if he's given another chance, it would be a risk for Poole to spend 4 points on him. 

Aussie youngsters in general just don't seem that good anymore, they're mostly decent PL riders all told, but that's not really enough reason to bring one all the way over here.

think our young inexperienced co-promoters might have been left behind a bit, but cant see two young aussies is the best option,also not cheap (air flights,vans,accomodation,engines etc)especially if its times two,dont agree with the asset argument, big financial outlay for only possible long term return,also increasing the asset base would put the cost of buying the club up,why increase the price when its not selling at current asking price?

Kurtz & Hume or Kurtz & bowtell would create a solid line up of 1 3 & 5 as well as 2 solid second strings in Kurtz & Nielsen with 2 deserves that can score points too. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mac101 said:

Max or Dillon Ruml would be worth a shout 

That could be an interesting call! Aussies champs could be smoke and mirrors with the American champs this week! Do Americans have to finish top 3/4 of their championships to get a permit? 

I did think Todd was a cert when the drop down was announced though! Him and a Morley feels the safest option 

53 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

Kurtz & Hume or Kurtz & bowtell would create a solid line up of 1 3 & 5 as well as 2 solid second strings in Kurtz & Nielsen with 2 deserves that can score points too. 

Kurtz you know you will get your 5 to 5.5 av as that is what he is. It then comes down to who is the better reserve - Hume or Bowtell. Maybe split opinion ??

Not a lot between the two but Bowtell was excl or retired more than Hume was last season. points wise arguably similar level.

Kurtz seemed the obvious when Hansen & Bjerre said no. Believe he shared with Brady at one of Middlo's accommodations last few seasons. Question is with Brady now at BV is he moving North and with Todd now at Sheffield in Prem are they both moving out to share somewhere to live up North. Maybe Todd doesn't want a club all the way down here. 

So this begs the question, are Poole looking at other options like Aussie/s. One Aussie 4 pointer would give them the pick of whats left from a N/L rider H/L perspective (well the 4 I named that is in earlier post). Or a Euro/Scand 5 pointer plus one decent N/L H/L - Champ reserve like Morley/Wood/Hume/Bowtell.

I am taking a more statistical view in that I would expect from our 3 H/L (with the expected ups and downs they will all have) say 26/27 points as an av (based on current av) which means we need our other 4 riders to pull 20/21 points to get us a win.  If the H/L do  score plenty more then less pressure further down the team. Whichever way we go there will be risks with 2 x 4 pointers already signed. That's why for me those last 2 riders are important as I can see us wanting strong reserves to counter other teams who will get higher from a top 4/5 like say Leic/Redcar.

I can't help thinking the Ford's may be thinking similar as history at Poole over the last few years tells us that your top 3 rarely click together on the same night and its further down you look to help get you over the line. That factor applies whichever league you are in.

25 minutes ago, DJC said:

That could be an interesting call! Aussies champs could be smoke and mirrors with the American champs this week! Do Americans have to finish top 3/4 of their championships to get a permit? 

I did think Todd was a cert when the drop down was announced though! Him and a Morley feels the safest option 

Yes but don't think Morley fits as takes us over 8.97 even if both get a 2.5% reduction. Morley would be 3.71 and Kurtz 5.29 = 9 which is 0.03 over the 9 :o

This is the conundrum Poole face as a result of signing made. Losing both Hansen & Bjerre kind of messed up plans imo, hence maybe why a rethink on which direction to take. At one stage we seemed primed for Bjerre with Bowtell meaning we had a 5 plus rider in 2019 who is a truer 7 to 8.5 man in Bjerre with Bowtell slipping in nicely to balance out the points. Hansen on 5 points was a guy who showcased his results in the World U21 Champs last 2 seasons and has lots of potential, so worth the risk on a 5 giving us the pick of the riders left who were decent N/L H/L or reserves in Champ near enough.

Maybe Kurtz is still an option but perhaps the Ford's are weighing up the options to see what gives them potentially the better mix to score points over the 2 places with what points are available.

Of course cost could also be a factor as one would assume kurtz in total cost a lot less than bringing other Aussies over as he has his Prem place confirmed and used to sharing living costs with Brady.

Am a bit surprised Kennedy was not snapped up after having done his maiden UK season, also having been Sheffields rider of the year as must have shown something to warrant that title. Looked good in his overtake of both Wells & Pickering in the on line video I saw.

Can't help thinking they have said near enough yes to Keleher subject to how the Aussie Champs go which so far not well with his injury but he hopes to be back for 4th round on Thur. He has professional looking website - seems to have decent sponsors and even uses flashy computer to tune his bikes looking at his FB page. Not totally convinced but if part of his costs covered by decent sponsors it may reduce cost plus he said he is ready for UK a while ago. Not so young at 25/26 but he did leave the sport for a while then came back. Have read he has potential and his scores in some of the regional meetings have been ok.

Will be interesting to see which way Poole go on these last 2 riders.

Back in the old national league days Poole always had the knack of unearthing some quality from down under, no reason why we can't do it again 

1 hour ago, DJC said:

The Perris meeting is the meeting to determine American representatives in the GP qualifying rounds.

The American championship (AMA - the one that is relevant for work permits as opposed to the ones at Costa Mesa or Owego) results are here.

https://www.speedwaybikes.com/res2019_w/FastFridays-20190921.htm

Dillon Ruml doesn't qualify for a work permit. Don't think you'll get Janniro and Max Ruml/Manzares hardly set the PL alight last time they rode here.