British Speedway Forum

Speedway's future IMO

Individual meetings were popular in the one big league days because you only saw riders once a season. If, say Barry Briggs was injured when he was due to ride at your track your promoter could book him and more or less guarantee a crowd. Today, teams visit twice a season and some teams three times so the attraction of an individual meeting is much reduced.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Based on the number of riders in teams that ride for another team. Individual meetings used to be an extra race night for riders, now they just take on an extra team or two, maybe three, where ever they can. Team sport has been replaced by a sport for the individuals.

And often ran on nights to suit the riders' own individual aspirations on the global stage, rather than prioritising when clubs can deliver their best crowd (which should be the ultimate priority)..

Looking at the last few seasons a few riders seem to have become almost "weekly guests" riding in both leagues, so no need to ride in individuals given they can get plenty of extra money over a season getting hired by all and sundry...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Looking at the last few seasons a few riders seem to have become almost "weekly guests" riding in both leagues, so no need to ride in individuals given they can get plenty of extra money over a season getting hired by all and sundry...

Crowds don't want to watch them so it really don't matter how many meeting riders have .. .

Two teams with all the riders of simular ability will produce much closer racing ....and far more exciting to watch for the fans

I don't even know if it's possible but could 1 league not work with 6 man teams? And say for example the number 6 in every side had to be a British rider with an average of below 5 and had to be under 23? And the other 5 riders in the team say add up to something like 36? 

53 minutes ago, orion said:

Fans don't want to watch individual  meetings ran at  club level .. Fans don't care if there riders double up or ride  for another club ask any Swindon fan ..This year yet again has been another great year  for nor use of guests. I think  the El play offs had none and all teams tracked there 1 to 7 ..it's not  what old and moaning fans want hear of course but that is how it is . 

If that's how you want your sport, like the wild west, then you are welcome to it. It is a joke sport now. There have been no guests, because it is being disguised as doubling up.

When just seven teams chase a top-four place to be in the Play-Offs, you know how far it has shrunk. Just surprised it takes seven months of padding to tell us who can manipulate the rules the best.

Perhaps moaning fans have had enough and are happy to leave the handful left to it.

Edited by moxey63

Just now, moxey63 said:

If that's how you want your sport, like the wild west, then you are welcome to it. It is a joke sport now. 

When just seven teams chase a top-four place to be in the Play-Offs, you know how far it has shrunk.

Perhaps moaning fans have had enough and are happy to leave the handful to it.

I never said how I wanted the sport I was just telling you how it is ..nothing wild west or not a team sport  about tracking the same 7 riders each meeting . As I said it's not what the old people who don't go anymore want to hear 

I remember riders saying they were over the moon to join Belle Vue. Not because of its proud history, that they can help it gain past glories... because Monday nights allowed them to do Poland on Sundays and, Tuesdays, race in Sweden.

That's what I want to hear when I turn out to support these guys racing for my club.

2 minutes ago, orion said:

I never said how I wanted the sport I was just telling you how it is ..nothing wild west or not a team sport  about tracking the same 7 riders each meeting . As I said it's not what the old people who don't go anymore want to hear 

As I said, wild west rules and every man for himself sport. At the end of the season, we throw the names up in the air to next season's line-ups. 

I am an old moaning fan who recalls crowds twice as many as turned out at Swindon last week for the so-called Grand Finale, and back then it was for challenge matches.

8 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

As I said, wild west rules and every man for himself sport. At the end of the season, we throw the names up in the air to next season's line-ups. 

I am an old moaning fan who recalls crowds twice as many as turned out at Swindon last week for the so-called Grand Finale, and back then it was for challenge matches.

life and sport is every man for himself ..you must be naïve to think otherwise 

2 minutes ago, orion said:

life and sport is every man for himself ..you must be naïve to think otherwise 

Everyman for himself, it is. Riders in the same team one night, in opposition sides the next. That, my friend, is why the sport is clinically dead.

Just now, moxey63 said:

Everyman for himself, it is. Riders in the same team one night, in opposition sides the next. That, my friend, is why the sport is clinically dead.

Not at all ..as I said ask any Swindon fan and they will   you they don't   care if  they ride for another club in another league the next night .. just another myth that has  zero credit . if you went you might understand  . it's want you want it to be but it's  not .

41 minutes ago, orion said:

Not at all ..as I said ask any Swindon fan and they will   you they don't   care if  they ride for another club in another league the next night ..just another myth that has  zero credit .if you went you might understand  .it's want you want it to be but it's  not .

Of course, the remaining Swindon fans will think it's great. 

Try to find the ones who don't attend, who saw sense years ago.

If you are happy with your lot, then I am pleased for you.  

2 hours ago, Chadster said:

Individual meetings were popular in the one big league days because you only saw riders once a season. If, say Barry Briggs was injured when he was due to ride at your track your promoter could book him and more or less guarantee a crowd. Today, teams visit twice a season and some teams three times so the attraction of an individual meeting is much reduced.

It was a rare occasion when Ole Olsen used to put in an appearance at Cowley.

7 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Of course, the remaining Swindon fans will think it's great. 

Try to find the ones who don't attend, who saw sense years ago.

If you are happy with your lot, then I am pleased for you.  

Yet again I never said I was happy with my lot .. fans were leaving a long time before doubling up started .. give me some hard facts that fans are walking away just because riders double up .. I can find plenty of Swindon speedway who don't go anymore and I doubt if any were ever worry that say Ramus Jensen rides for Glasgow the next day .