British Speedway Forum

Speedway's future IMO

Individuals used to be good but then promoters butchered them by only running them with 12 riders and over 15 heats and of those twelve riders 8 or 9 were home team squad riders with 3 or 4 very average away riders to make up the numbers, it’s no wonder fans stopped going, it wasn’t long after this started happening I refused to go to such meetings.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

How do you know? Just because you still attend, it doesn't mean the gaps surrounding you prove otherwise.

It makes no difference to me whether Jason Doyle or Ellis Perks also rides elsewhere, whether that be for Somerset in the CL or Wroclaw in Poland or Vetlanda in Sweden, as long as they turn up for Swindon on our race nights.

It simply has no effect now that we have protected race nights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

But it does...

To the most significant issue for several teams which is..

Their race night...

Yes, agreed.

But otherwise irrelevant as far as a fan is concerned.

13 hours ago, mikebv said:

Partnering  a rider in one night, and then riding against him on another night in another domestic league, and then with him in another country the next night, and against him in yet another country the night after that, must have a huge bearing on the level of racing...

You simply won't be as aggressive to win against someone who you will be sat next to in the pits somewhere else tomorrow..

A “huge bearing”? Doubt it.

That’s an exaggeration. Few speedway races at club level involve the degree of aggression that you suggest.

Most riders might be determined on the first corner but other than that they’re fairly respectful to each other because everyone knows serious injury could result otherwise and what comes around, goes around.

Play offs and GPs understandably involve a bit more, but rarely to a Nicky Pedersen level.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

It makes no difference to me whether Jason Doyle or Ellis Perks also rides elsewhere, whether that be for Somerset in the CL or Wroclaw in Poland or Vetlanda in Sweden, as long as they turn up for Swindon on our race nights.

It simply has no effect now that we have protected race nights.

I know it makes no difference to you, because you still attend and are a supporter. We are all different and want different things from a sport that supposedly needs supporters to keep it going. My only proof of if the double-up thing works is to look at attendances. I know there maybe other factors why crowds are poor, but I know several people who are tired of the silly double up scenario. A serious sport it is not.

4 hours ago, moxey63 said:

The band of people I used to go to speedway with have stopped attending because of the doubling-up rules, amongst other things. You don't treat your car in a slap-dosh way you would a company vehicle.Too many riders are not owned by the club and are passed around like a cig behind the bike sheds.

Ask those "plenty" of ex-Swindon fans why they don't attend anymore. Once we get a handle on why, perhaps we can halt the decline.

I know why the group I went with stopped attending. It was Doubling Up, Golden Doubles... all rules that make it a daft sport to put you heart into.

Actually, when I had company cars, I treated them better than the cars I now have to buy myself! :unsure:

6 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

I know it makes no difference to you, because you still attend and are a supporter. We are all different and want different things from a sport that supposedly needs supporters to keep it going. My only proof of if the double-up thing works is to look at attendances. I know there maybe other factors why crowds are poor, but I know several people who are tired of the silly double up scenario. A serious sport it is not.

Yes, we all want different things, for you it's free entrance.

As Chunky has already pointed out in this thread, riders were riding for more than one team way back, including your beloved PC.

Riders were also racing for teams across Europe back in the 90's.

As for 'serious sport', cricket can't be a serious sport either can it..

The reality is, you don't want a damn thing from the sport as you haven't been since your free entrance was taken away, have stated repeatedly you don't even watch it on TV (although for some reason have it on in the background.. you could just turn off your TV). Your club has the best race track in the UK and one of the very best in the world and produces amazing racing week in week out yet you show zero inclination to go.

As such uou sir are an utter irrelevance, your opinion counts for absolutely nothing and seem to have so little to do in your life you spend it posting on a forum about a sport you no longer have any interest in.. very very strange individual.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

Yes, we all want different things, for you it's free entrance.

As Chunky has already pointed out in this thread, riders were riding for more than one team way back, including your beloved PC.

Riders were also racing for teams across Europe back in the 90's.

As for 'serious sport', cricket can't be a serious sport either can it..

The reality is, you don't want a damn thing from the sport as you haven't been since your free entrance was taken away, have stated repeatedly you don't even watch it on TV (although for some reason have it on in the background.. you could just turn off your TV). Your club has the best race track in the UK and one of the very best in the world and produces amazing racing week in week out yet you show zero inclination to go.

As such uousir are an utter irrelevance, your opinion counts for absolutely nothing and seem to have so little to do in your life you spend it posting on a forum about a sport you no longer have any interest in.. very very strange individual.

Sorry, BWitcher, did I wake you?

14 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Sorry, BWitcher, did I wake you?

Long been awake as have lot's to do... certainly don't have time to continually post on a forum about a sport I have no interest in. 

I actually feel sorry for anyone who has so little happening in their life they have to do that. Come on Moxey, there's a big world out there, go explore, stop wasting your time on this deadbeat joke of a sport you occasionally have on in the background.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

Long been awake as have lot's to do... certainly don't have time to continually post on a forum about a sport I have no interest in. 

I actually feel sorry for anyone who has so little happening in their life they have to do that. Come on Moxey, there's a big world out there, go explore, stop wasting your time on this deadbeat joke of a sport you occasionally have on in the background.

You could be a promoter, BWitcher (also known as Mr Google), with your skill of trying to persuade an ex-punter to retain an interest in the sport. I am strange, clinging on, for a clinically dead sport that gave me so many happy times. Go on, I'll stay here, you go off and do what you have to do (probably putting someone else right). Don't mind me. I'm just trying to help with speedway's future, as the topic asks.  

34 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

You could be a promoter, BWitcher (also known as Mr Google), with your skill of trying to persuade an ex-punter to retain an interest in the sport. I am strange, clinging on, for a clinically dead sport that gave me so many happy times. Go on, I'll stay here, you go off and do what you have to do (probably putting someone else right). Don't mind me. I'm just trying to help with speedway's future, as the topic asks.  

You're not clinging on.

You don't attend.

You don't watch.

All you do is post inaccurate negative bilge on this forum. 

You are not helping one iota with speedway's future. In fact it's downbeat, negative people like you that are as bigger part of the problem as anyone.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

You're not clinging on.

You don't attend.

You don't watch.

All you do is post inaccurate negative bilge on this forum. 

You are not helping one iota with speedway's future. In fact it's downbeat, negative people like you that are as bigger part of the problem as anyone.

Well, please take it from me, don't waste your time by responding to my posts. I know you're busy my friend.

29 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Well, please take it from me, don't waste your time by responding to my posts. I know you're busy my friend.

Two serious questions,

When was the last time you PAID to get into a speedway meeting?

When was the last time you entered one for free?

Edited by BWitcher

15 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Two serious questions,

When was the last time you PAID to get into a speedway meeting?

When was the last time you entered one for free?

Probably last pay to enter a speedway was New Cross in 1953.

The last free entry to a speedway was Wimbledon's closure in October 2005.

15 minutes ago, gustix said:

Probably last pay to enter a speedway was New Cross in 1953.

The last free entry to a speedway was Wimbledon's closure in October 2005.

Good golly miss molly !!!

I doubt even dear old Johnnie Hoskins himself went that long without paying to get into a speedway meeting !!! You must be a record breaker gustix