British Speedway Forum

Speedway's future IMO

9 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Care to explain that remark?

Sorry, did Coventry close through lack of support or was it the promoters or owners' fault?

Speedway tracks are clinging on to their last breath. The land they rest on is needed elsewhere.

You will also fathom out that I post mainly on things I can comment on. I never post on the league sections, as I know little about the current set-up, what rules have changed this week or what rider has switched sides during the match. I try and keep in touch with speedway's current problems. I too have contributed hours upon hours, money, and 45 years watching the sport at different times.

If you want my sort to disappear because they don't have anything positive to say. Then that's an attitude that had left tracks struggling.

You are like a lot of cry babies. "Don't call my sport", you lot will whine.  And then another track closes and you wonder why you have nowhere to go on a Saturday night.

I won't shut the sport down with my negative views. The people you should worry about are the actual people you pay the wages of. It seems more about keeping those in employment why the sport is being run how it is. 

Edited by moxey63

11 hours ago, moxey63 said:

That was constructive. You should know how speedway promoters treat clubs, look at your defunct Coventry.

9 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Care to explain that remark?

2 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Sorry, did Coventry close through lack of support or was it the promoters or owners' fault?

Speedway tracks are clinging on to their last breath. The land they rest on is needed elsewhere.

You will also fathom out that I post mainly on things I can comment on. I never post on the league sections, as I know little about the current set-up, what rules have changed this week or what rider has switched sides during the match. I try and keep in touch with speedway's current problems. I too have contributed hours upon hours, money, and 45 years watching the sport at different times.

If you want my sort to disappear because they don't have anything positive to say. Then that's an attitude that had left tracks struggling.

You are like a lot of cry babies. "Don't call my sport", you lot will whine.  And then another track closes and you wonder why you have nowhere to go on a Saturday night.

I won't shut the sport down with my negative views. The people you should worry about are the actual people you pay the wages of. It seems more about keeping those in employment why the sport is being run. 

In your original post you did not mention 'owners', you clearly implied that Coventry's closure was the responsibility of the promoters (one of whom was me) and that wasn't the case.

If you intend to continue with your negative tirades, I suggest you get your facts right in future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

In your original post you did not mention 'owners', you clearly implied that Coventry's closure was the responsibility of the promoters (one of whom was me) and that wasn't the case.

If you intend to continue with your negative tirades, I suggest you get your facts right in future.

So, whose fault was it then, if you have the facts?

I also feel your post highlights speedway's problem. Too many "promoters" and not enough owners.

Views differing to mine on BSF will get the "likes" from the small band still bothering to post on here. The invisible "likes" that support my views are evident by the evident spaces on the terraces.

The sport is where it is because promoters have been so short-sighted through the years. The SKY money burned a hole in the pockets and had to be spent it before the next payday on keeping the top riders here. Promoters felt there was more where that came from.  

The future for most promoters is getting the next meeting on.

Edited by moxey63

13 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Least I used to contribute to a programme for my freebie.

DID YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LunnasPerm said:

Good leaders hire wise men to tell them how to do things. Keith Chapman keeps his cards close to his chest, his clown shoes on his feet and is attempting to run British Speedway - on his own - into the ground.

Merely cross out the words "attempting to" and that post is spor on.  How will a free to air highlights programme of UK sppedway bring new fans into the stadiums? The matches will not - as far as we know - be free to air. Nothing much has changed but the BSPA are shouting it from the rooftops. Anyway after watching a weekly highlights progamme no -one is likely to go to a live in stadium match more than once, as the hightlights will rarely be re-created in a regular league match. Racing will still be as rare as hen's teeth in the stadium. It is that product that needs all the attention and improvement if it is to survive.

26 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Merely cross out the words "attempting to" and that post is spor on.  How will a free to air highlights programme of UK sppedway bring new fans into the stadiums? The matches will not - as far as we know - be free to air. Nothing much has changed but the BSPA are shouting it from the rooftops. Anyway after watching a weekly highlights progamme no -one is likely to go to a live in stadium match more than once, as the hightlights will rarely be re-created in a regular league match. Racing will still be as rare as hen's teeth in the stadium. It is that product that needs all the attention and improvement if it is to survive.

It's very clear that 'a night at the Speedway',  ie two 'teams', 4 lads per race, 15 heats etc etc, simply isn't enticing enough, or being considered value for money, for the required number of potential punters to regularly deliver big crowds in its current guise...

Not sure though that those who run their respective clubs all have the capability in doing anything about it collectively unfortunately, as surely they would have done so already?

One thing for sure is that continually running events with the priority being you meeting your employees agenda, rather than the agenda of your customers, cannot work in business..

The NSS shows that even with its great racing, 'build it and they will come' is nothing more than a throwaway line from a movie..

Enticing the punters in through targeted marketing, and impressing them from the moment they arrive, to the moment they leave, is the only thing that can drive forward an entertainment buisness...

You sometimes get the impression that some Promoters would rather spend more time, energy and focus on negotiating an average for one of their riders to get reassessed down by 0.1% or so, rather than use their obvious passion and love for the sport to focus their energies on what really matters to their customers. .

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

I hadn’t been to speedway since the 1970s and got back into it by watching matches on Sky in 2005 and then started going to watch Swindon in 2006.

So TV coverage was instrumental in me going to live speedway.

Strangely, though, I have watched cycling and rugby union on TV for more than thirty years but I have never once been tempted to go and see either.

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

So, whose fault was it then, if you have the facts?

I also feel your post highlights speedway's problem. Too many "promoters" and not enough owners.

Views differing to mine on BSF will get the "likes" from the small band still bothering to post on here. The invisible "likes" that support my views are evident by the evident spaces on the terraces.

The sport is where it is because promoters have been so short-sighted through the years. The SKY money burned a hole in the pockets and had to be spent it before the next payday on keeping the top riders here. Promoters felt there was more where that came from.  

The future for most promoters is getting the next meeting on.

Brandon stadium was not made available to us for racing in 2017 - simple as that. 

Each Club is required to have a minimum of two Promoters (maximum of three). Some owners prefer not to have a Promoter's licence, but as the rules stand they could only represent a maximum of 50% of licenced Promoters.

I haven't noticed many likes for your recent posts here .....

1 hour ago, NeilWatson said:

Brandon stadium was not made available to us for racing in 2017 - simple as that. 

Each Club is required to have a minimum of two Promoters (maximum of three). Some owners prefer not to have a Promoter's licence, but as the rules stand they could only represent a maximum of 50% of licenced Promoters.

I haven't noticed many likes for your recent posts here .....

Thank you for explaining. 

You won't notice any likes for my posts. Most fans who agree with me are no longer fans and wouldn't bother with speedway forums.

I cling on, for old times' sake. 

Edited by moxey63
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, chunky said:

Not strictly true. He must have "some" interest, as he keeps it on in the background...

Classic :D

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

It's very clear that 'a night at the Speedway',  ie two 'teams', 4 lads per race, 15 heats etc etc, simply isn't enticing enough, or being considered value for money, for the required number of potential punters to regularly deliver big crowds in its current guise...

Not sure though that those who run their respective clubs all have the capability in doing anything about it collectively unfortunately, as surely they would have done so already?

One thing for sure is that continually running events with the priority being you meeting your employees agenda, rather than the agenda of your customers, cannot work in business..

The NSS shows that even with its great racing, 'build it and they will come' is nothing more than a throwaway line from a movie..

Enticing the punters in through targeted marketing, and impressing them from the moment they arrive, to the moment they leave, is the only thing that can drive forward an entertainment buisness...

You sometimes get the impression that some Promoters would rather spend more time, energy and focus on negotiating an average for one of their riders to get reassessed down by 0.1% or so, rather than use their obvious passion and love for the sport to focus their energies on what really matters to their customers. .

Might not be so daft when you realise that time and again it has been proven that what really matters to fans is a winning team. Unfortunately it's also been proved more than once that paying for a winning team can be the end of a club. It's easy to say you have to supply what the customer wants but even among the small number of customers on here we can't agree what that is!

9 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Were the Ochiltrees (Martin and Linda) actually the owners, or still just managers as Charles was?

As far as I am aware Martin and Linda were actually the owners, but hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. The stadium needed so much money spending on it and Martin was unfortunately never as keen on Speedway like his dad was.

9 hours ago, moxey63 said:

And then another track closes and you wonder why you have nowhere to go on a Saturday night.

That's a sad fact........but you are a former fan who doesn't miss any of it......I think though maybe, in truth, you do...I haven't read all of your posts mind.

18 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

However the main reason that Brandon was made unavaliable for racing was the ineptitude of one of promoters ( or was it intractability? ) So that part of it is , yes, quite simple. 

33 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

However the main reason that Brandon was made unavaliable for racing was the ineptitude of one of promoters ( or was it intractability? ) So that part of it is , yes, quite simple. 

Do you have any facts to support your assertions?