British Speedway Forum

Speedway's future IMO

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

The trouble is who in their right mind would plan a multi use stadium with football and speedway. ? As said the viewing for your main market is poor. Then the way speedway goes who would make a plan for a sport that might run 2,3 or.4 years then disappear for a decade etc then make another shot comeback. Better to run with two stable sports that can better use the facilities. That is generally how football plan stadia now. As I said elsewhere Millwall planned for the New Dwn to be used for concerts etc which better fit a football stadium that a Motorsport. Football stadiums are generally in built up areas anyway and a Motorsport would meet problems with residents. Who wants extra planning problems ?

Football and Rugby or Hockey etc makes sense. Maybe horse racing and speedway more so. But I now see horse racing coming under scrutiny in the States by protesters. Just like Greyhounds are in the UK

Wouldn't cricket grounds be the best fit? Is there historical precedent in Australia? Clearly they're not obvious bed fellows but I know a lot of the Counties struggle financially. Would it be possible to have a permanent speedway track covered by cut out sections of the cricket outfield? Not in-expensive but less so than a new stadium. Generally speaking you'd be appealing to two different demographics so wouldn't be competing for the same audience [debatable].

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enotian said:

Wouldn't cricket grounds be the best fit? Is there historical precedent in Australia? Clearly they're not obvious bed fellows but I know a lot of the Counties struggle financially. Would it be possible to have a permanent speedway track covered by cut out sections of the cricket outfield? Not in-expensive but less so than a new stadium. Generally speaking you'd be appealing to two different demographics so wouldn't be competing for the same audience [debatable].

Crewe was built around a cricket pitch, albeit the LMS/BR Sports Ground rather than a county venue. If anything it was too large and had to be shortened during its brief life. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

In the Midlands there are many older athletics venues in need to local authority investment that has sadly not been forthcoming before / after Olympics 2012 and still a few that hark back to the days when industry provided good sports facilities for their employees.

I do remember going to speedway at Scunthorpe that was an athletics track, would have been around mid 70's can't remember name of the place and there were similar venues in Birmingham (Aston under motorway) that I think Brummies looked at and in Dudley borough / Sandwell Borough (that I think Cradley looked at) and others.

Benefit of athletics tracks is that they have an obvious shape and base around which stadium is built that means work required to put down a track is reduced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moxey63 said:

When has this happened?

New England Patriots.

Superbowl.

Just a small event.

10 minutes ago, HGould said:

In the Midlands there are many older athletics venues in need to local authority investment that has sadly not been forthcoming before / after Olympics 2012 and still a few that hark back to the days when industry provided good sports facilities for their employees.

I do remember going to speedway at Scunthorpe that was an athletics track, would have been around mid 70's can't remember name of the place and there were similar venues in Birmingham (Aston under motorway) that I think Brummies looked at and in Dudley borough / Sandwell Borough (that I think Cradley looked at) and others.

Benefit of athletics tracks is that they have an obvious shape and base around which stadium is built that means work required to put down a track is reduced.

Quibell park was scunny 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iris123 said:

And you have to sell that ‘but further away’ to fans. Today football is generally the top sport and yet you would want those fans out at a disadvantage to a lesser sport ? Why should they then pay good money for a poor view ? It just doesn’t work like that anymore. People expect a good stadium with a good view and a certain standard of facility nowadays like decent toilets

Doesn’t sound like a good business strategy to give potentially your main source of income the poor standards, when probably just down the road another club is offering something better

If you buy a cheap ticket at any big sports stadium , you end up watching a long way from the pitch/circuit ,  yet people still buy these tickets that are " a bit further away" 

the first time I went to Cardiff Speedway GP , I was in one of the £20 seats and it did feel like watching speedway from the window of an aeroplane , but I enjoyed it and thought to myself that this is the same view that a lot of people pay MORE to see a sold out big Rugby match. 

I have been to  Football & Ruby matches in big stadiums and you are often so far away from the pitch you cant make out who  individual players are , so why do people keep coming back to these events if being " a bit further away " is a problem

3 minutes ago, djr said:

If you buy a cheap ticket at any big sports stadium , you end up watching a long way from the pitch/circuit ,  yet people still buy these tickets that are " a bit further away" 

the first time I went to Cardiff Speedway GP , I was in one of the £20 seats and it did feel like watching speedway from the window of an aeroplane , but I enjoyed it and thought to myself that this is the same view that a lot of people pay MORE to see a sold out big Rugby match. 

I have been to  Football & Ruby matches in big stadiums and you are often so far away from the pitch you cant make out who  individual players are , so why do people keep coming back to these events if being " a bit further away " is a problem

Like you say they are cheap. You point out the problem yourself which I stated. The whole economics of it for someone running a sport. You can’t sell seats a bit further away for the same price someone down the road is selling seats right up near the action. If you are Arsenal or selling tickets for The Rolling Stones you can maybe get away with selling tickets with a poor view. But you also have far more tickets with a good view

40 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

New England Patriots.

Superbowl.

Just a small event.

Do you like American Wrestling, too?

Seriously, though, Superbowl. 

Edited by moxey63

4 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Thought I'd lower my standards to be on equal ground.

You just thought you would lie and show your normal double standards

2 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Do you like American Wrestling, too?

What has that got to do with the fact that you claimed no respected sport would ever have such a system.. and I've shown you an example from one of the most watched sporting events in the world.

As for 'American Wrestling' as you call it, that's a multi billion pound business so no idea why you keep linking it to speedway.

Edited by BWitcher

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

What has that got to do with the fact that you claimed no respected sport would ever have such a system.. and I've shown you an example from one of the most watched sporting events in the world.

As for 'American Wrestling' as you call it, that's a multi billion pound business so no idea why you keep linking it to speedway.

Do you watch it for all the ad breaks?

2 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Don't give a toss about how much money it takes. They have tried to push it 40 years over here, and it's still a daft game.

1 minute ago, moxey63 said:

Do you watch it for all the ad breaks?

The ad breaks where companies pay $5.1 to $5.3 MILLION for a 30 second advert you mean?

Picking the event to try and score points from Moxey... again.

3 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Don't give a toss about how much money it takes. They have tried to push it 40 years over here, and it's still a daft game.

That sells out Wembley every time, whether YOU think its a daft game is irrelevant to it's success.

Or are you talking about 'American Wrestling' again... same argument applies, superbly promoted, billion dollar business, successful around the world.

Edited by BWitcher

It may be all about money to you, but are they proper sports. Maybe you just like popcorn.

You also watch Ant & Dec, the Jungle and X-Factor, right?

Edited by moxey63