British Speedway Forum

Speedway's future IMO

Just now, chunky said:

Yes, 30 minutes was a long time ago - considering you have spent the last 30 minutes trying to deny fact...

You have too much spare time.

5 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's fine. A response like that totally negates any perceived value your input on this forum may have had...

This site is about opinions.

You and BWitcher are the google of this site.

In fact, I can't believe so much time has been spent on what I think.

Thanks, guys.

Edited by moxey63

Calling a dog's tail a leg doesn't make it a leg, and calling a declarative sentence that can be proven right or wrong an opinion doesn't make it an opinion.

And no need to praise myself and Chunky so highly.

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

This site is about opinions.

In fact, I can't believe so much time has been spent on what I think.

No. It is your opinion that this site is about opinions. Many people come on here looking for factual answers.

I can't believe so much time has been spent by you attempting to disprove fact.

2 hours ago, chunky said:

No. It is your opinion that this site is about opinions. Many people come on here looking for factual answers.

I can't believe so much time has been spent by you attempting to disprove fact.

If people come onto a site looking for factual answers on a thread asking "speedway's future IMO," then they are looking on the wrong part of the site. 

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

You don't stop, do you? And you reckon others have too much spare time?

You asked questions, and as rhetorical as they may have seemed to you, somebody was able to provide actual - and factual - answers. Answers that didn't coincide with your opinions, but were 100% factual and truthful all the same.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chunky said:

You don't stop, do you? And you reckon others have too much spare time?

You asked questions, and as rhetorical as they may have seemed to you, somebody was able to provide actual - and factual - answers. Answers that didn't coincide with your opinions, but were 100% factual and truthful all the same.

I don't stop... I have too much spare time? 

Stop asking me ruddy questions then.

God, is it bedtime yet?

Edited by moxey63

17 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

I don't stop... I have too much spare time? 

Stop asking me ruddy questions then.

God, is it bedtime yet?

What questions have I been asking you?

Okay, that is one...

I've just gone back over the last two pages, and the ONLY other question I have asked you is "You don't stop, do you?"

I apologise if these two questions have taken up too much of your valuable time; time you could be spending on making more ridiculous claims that speedway is a "pretend sport"...

Edited by chunky

18 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

God, is it bedtime yet?

Not for another few hours here... Still, you'll be in bed sooner, so you have all those sweet dreams about me!!! :wub:

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:26 PM, Midland Red said:

Does no one go to watch the sport, to get their enjoyment from the spectacle which is speedway racing, anymore?

How attitudes have changed - it now seems it’s all about winning, rather than entertainment

What was the draw when crowds were big?  It was the sport, the thrills, the spills, even the smell, the characters - didn’t matter too much about the result, so long as the spectators got their money’s worth from watching the racing

It didn’t even matter too much who the opposition was - every week, there was the speedway racing to watch and enjoy, that was the be all and end all, cheer on your favourites, boo the other team, but marvel at the spectacle they provided

Where did it all go wrong?

Spot on, I've known the crowds to be bigger at my local track when we finished bottom of the League in the 90's than win the playoffs in the 2000's. Normally most weeks it was losing last heat deciders. It didn't matter some were good years some were not but you still went every week because the product was great. Great racing, passing aplenty, big names , speed, the noise, the smell, crackling atmosphere ,it was brilliant, and I wouldn't be shy to tell anyone. Not the same today, new bikes ( silencers 2010) have killed it, bikes now not suited to the track shape or material. Poor racing , less big names, less noise, no smell and no atmosphere. I like many have drifted away , 30 years every week has now amounted to maybe once a season. Forget the rules, guests , rider replacements, team changes have always been there, its the product that is not good enough. Watch the live matches on BT this year, unless its Belle Vue or a revamped Swindon there is really nothing to see .How bad we the playoffs this year, awful. Unfortunately Belle Vue and Swindon have shown us that most of the traditional old tracks are now not fit for purpose, but unfortunately these promotions don't have the money or authority to make any changes. Unfortunately that's where we at and why the sport in the UK is on its knees.

Edited by iwright71
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, iwright71 said:

Forget the rules, guests , rider replacements, team changes have always been there, its the product that is not good enough. 

As I've said before. it's so easy to people to blame the rules (which of course, many do), but there are so many bigger issues to blame.

Sadly, society has changed, and speedway is trying to keep up with the changes.  Trouble is, speedway is pretty unique, and not all the changes are beneficial to the sport as a whole.  I always preferred team racing, but with the variety of formats, the sport always remained fresh.  The main reason it was so good though, was because we enjoyed watching four blokes wrestling their bikes around a speedway track.

The desire to win - plus the fact that competitors are supposedly "entitled" to fame and fortune at something they took up originally for the thrill of it - has had a detrimental effect on so many sports.

22 hours ago, iwright71 said:

Spot on, I've known the crowds to be bigger at my local track when we finished bottom of the League in the 90's than win the playoffs in the 2000's. Normally most weeks it was losing last heat deciders. It didn't matter some were good years some were not but you still went every week because the product was great. Great racing, passing aplenty, big names , speed, the noise, the smell, it was brilliant, and I wouldn't be shy to tell anyone. Not the same today, new bikes ( silencers 2010) have killed it, bikes now not suited to the track shape or material. Poor racing , less big names, less noise, no smell and no atmosphere. I like many have drifted away , 30 years every week has now amounted to maybe once a season. Forget the rules, guests , rider replacements, team changes have always been there, its the product that is not good enough. Watch the live matches on BT this year, unless its Belle Vue or a revamped Swindon there is really nothing to see .How bad we the playoffs this year, awful. Unfortunately Belle Vue and Swindon have shown us that most of the traditional old tracks are now not fit for purpose, but unfortunately these promotions don't have the money or authority to make any changes. Unfortunately that's where we at and why the sport in the UK is on its knees.

I thoroughly enjoyed following the sport at Cowley for over 30 years and although I gave up visiting other tracks towards the back end of that I continually supported 'The Cheetahs' at Oxford. Great times and a chance to meet up with friends and chew the fat. The final nail, so to speak, was when I re-located. Whether I would have continued to have visited a local track is open to conjecture (the nearest to me is Sheffield) however I wouldn't have missed it for the world for all the joy and tears the sport produced during my formative years. Great memories!

Looks like it's just a case of two main leagues evolving side by side, increasingly indistinguishable, apart from which evenings they operate on, and the number of teams taking part. I think that Poole's decision underlines that, and over time I would expect further such adjustments to happen as the difference disappears. It solves all kinds of problems, not least that of the supply of riders which prohibits the One Big League from being feasible.