British Speedway Forum

Speedway's future IMO

I don't think speedway will disappear from the British sporting scene. However I think it could eventually cease to be a team sport and evolve more along the open-individual style lines so popular in California, USA. 

I suppose the only problem with a series of open meetings, is most venues are not owned by the owners, so you are asking the stadium owners to keep and maintain a speedway track for the odd open meeting. That could be the death knell of the sport. I have wondered whether speedway had a more chance of survival, by having open events with 'a track in a field', similar to grass track and something on the lines of the now defunct Collier Street Boarded Track.  

• Like 1

I will be in a packed noisy crowd, weather permitting, at the Tangerine Arena tonight for Swindon v Ipswich Grand Final second leg. Crowds are up at Swindon, so team sport still alive and kicking. Pity about Poole Pirates dropping down though

GO ROBINS!!!

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

I will be in a packed noisy crowd, weather permitting, at the Tangerine Arena tonight for Swindon v Ipswich Grand Final second leg. Crowds are up at Swindon, so team sport still alive and kicking. Pity about Poole Pirates dropping down though

GO ROBINS!!!

How many tracks can say crowds are up and Club in profit over a season nowadays.?

What we  need to do  is lower the standard so even less fans come in … then get 7 low standard riders   to form all the teams ride at weekends only  .  they would then become the  new  hero's   to all  the fans .. my uncle who is 87 said that he would love it  as he  would watch anything .

Edited by orion
  • Haha 2

You just have to look at the size of crowds for individual meetings compared to team fixtures. Team racing is far more popular...

• Like 4

On 10/19/2019 at 3:28 AM, teaboy279 said:

You just have to look at the size of crowds for individual meetings compared to team fixtures. Team racing is far more popular...

Do you mean the difference between average 900 for individual meetings compared to 1,000 for a team match?

Ipswich used to hold a few individuals, now they have none,,,as hardly anyone turns up to watch.  So they don't bother. 

Individual meetings are not worth staging because the fans aren't attracted to them.

So, instead fans are given two sides of individuals and it professes to be a team sport.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moxey63 said:

Individual meetings are not worth staging because the fans aren't attracted to them.

So, instead fans are given two sides of individuals and it professes to be a team sport.

That is true. The Grand Prix is an individual meeting, which attracts big crowds, so I suppose it depends on the quality of the field, how individual meetings are marketed and if individual meetings are the only speedway model, hardcore fans, I imagine would support it. I do think the sport needs a complete overhaul,  but we have all discussed that for many years now and we are still where we are!  

41 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Ipswich used to hold a few individuals, now they have none,,,as hardly anyone turns up to watch.  So they don't bother. 

The problem with running 'individuals' is that too many 'individuals' cry off and don't bother attending..

Or they get ran on days when other meetings take place so lines up get diluted from the original names..

All comes down to money I suppose..

If the prize money was large enough then all the riders would want an invitation, and the fans would attend in numbers as the event will become something worthwhile going to watch..

If say £50,000 was put up as a total prize fund for an individual event could you get a 3500 crowd paying £20 each?

16 riders on a guarantee of £2000 and then an £18k final. (£8k, £5k, £3k, £2k)..

Could several tracks run such events once each per season, well marketed, well sponsored and promoted very aggressively locally?

It does appear its "go big" or don't bother when it comes to individual events..

Edited by mikebv

12 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

With the result the typical UK Speedway halfway house..

That is to say, they do neither correctly so devalue both...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Based on what ?  Swindon yet again hardly tracked any guests again this year .. not sure you see a better team in terms of sprit and commitment ..just another myth 

2 minutes ago, orion said:

Based on what ?  Swindon yetagain hardly tracked any guests again this year ..not sure you see a better team in terms of sprit and commitment ..just another myth 

Based on the number of riders in teams that ride for another team. Individual meetings used to be an extra race night for riders, now they just take on an extra team or two, maybe three, where ever they can. Team sport has been replaced by a sport for the individuals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Based on the number of riders in teams that ride for another team. Individual meetings used to be an extra race night for riders, now they just take on an extra team or two, maybe three, where ever they can. Team sport has been replaced by a sport for the individuals.

Fans don't want to watch individual  meetings ran at  club level .. Fans don't care if there riders double up or ride  for another club ask any Swindon fan ..This year yet again has been another great year  for nor use of guests. I think  the El play offs had none and all teams tracked there 1 to 7 .. it's not  what old and moaning fans want hear of course but that is how it is . 

• Like 1