Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Speedway's future IMO

8 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Why would any football club want a speedway track round their pitch? They make viewing terrible for spectators. As a kid, I watched Halifax Town and Halifax Dukes at The Shay. The viewing for football was very poor, because of the speedway track, whose presence also resulted in the narrowest pitch in the Football League. Early and late in the football season, a film of dust covered every surface. 

In an ideal world , every Sport would like to operate in a single-use stadium and not have to share with  other sports. 

however if 2 or more Sports could use a stadium , it must make the finances better for everyone involved.

I also cant see that it makes the viewing terrible , just a bit further away that's all.

6 minutes ago, djr said:

In an ideal world , every Sport would like to operate in a single-use stadium and not have to share with  other sports. 

however if 2 or more Sports could use a stadium , it must make the finances better for everyone involved.

I also cant see that it makes the viewing terrible , just a bit further away that's all.

Believe me, at The Shay it was terrible. The distance from the pitch affected the atmosphere greatly. No problem at the speedway, of course.

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

Does no one go to watch the sport, to get their enjoyment from the spectacle which is speedway racing, anymore?

How attitudes have changed - it now seems it’s all about winning, rather than entertainment

What was the draw when crowds were big?  It was the sport, the thrills, the spills, even the smell, the characters - didn’t matter too much about the result, so long as the spectators got their money’s worth from watching the racing

It didn’t even matter too much who the opposition was - every week, there was the speedway racing to watch and enjoy, that was the be all and end all, cheer on your favourites, boo the other team, but marvel at the spectacle they provided

Where did it all go wrong?

That is so true.

In the olden days, I used to do Sheffield (Thursday), Ellesmere Port (Friday) and Hyde Road (Saturday). It didn't matter who was racing, I just wanted to see a sport called speedway. It was more about the spectacle then, where now it's more about what team can con their way to a title. And fans are being fooled into thinking speedway is worthless unless you're winning.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

A serious sport would not need the pretence of keeping a season alive.

What like nearly every other sport in the world .. like Football , Rugby and American football etc ?  you need to come out of your time warp .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Does no one go to watch the sport, to get their enjoyment from the spectacle which is speedway racing, anymore?

How attitudes have changed - it now seems it’s all about winning, rather than entertainment

What was the draw when crowds were big?  It was the sport, the thrills, the spills, even the smell, the characters - didn’t matter too much about the result, so long as the spectators got their money’s worth from watching the racing

It didn’t even matter too much who the opposition was - every week, there was the speedway racing to watch and enjoy, that was the be all and end all, cheer on your favourites, boo the other team, but marvel at the spectacle they provided

Where did it all go wrong?

Sadly attitudes have changed .. even when Swindon  were garbage and had nothing to race for people would still go in big numbers . Great times indeed

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, orion said:

What like nearly every other sport in the world ..like Football , Rugby and American football etc ?  you need to come out of your time warp .

In football, you don't get sides purposely conceding goals so they can strengthen up. I wish you would stop comparing football to speedway. They used to be comparable, but now speedway is like that American Wrestling.

The cult following speedway has right now is laughed at. I mean, the most glamorous side in two decades chooses to be relegated. Try telling that to a new supporter. Explain that Sheffield are replacing them despite not having even attempted the top flight since the Morans rode for them. Doomed to fail.

Edited by moxey63

12 minutes ago, orion said:

Sadly attitudes have changed ..even when Swindon  were garbage and had nothing to race for people would still go in big numbers . Great times indeed

Is that the same time warp I'm in?

19 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

In football, you don't get sides purposely conceding goals so they can strengthen up. I wish you would stop comparing football to speedway. They used to be comparable, but now speedway is like that American Wrestling.

The cult following speedway has right now is laughed at. I mean, the most glamorous side in two decades chooses to be relegated. Try telling that to a new supporter. Explain that Sheffield are replacing them despite not having even attempted the top flight since the Morans rode for them. Doomed to fail.

?  you that other  serious sports don't have  play offs .. so as I said nearly all top sports do  ..what are these other sports then ?  as I have done before I could pick any sport and give a example of try telling a new supporter routine . Maybe a new football fan will be amazed that in the champions league that a team that is not champions can win it . Maybe a new cricket fan will be fits of laughter when finds out that when you are  out on the video  replay you can still be not out ..

Edited by orion

12 minutes ago, orion said:

?  you that other  serious sports don't have  play offs ..so as I said nearly all top sports do  ..what are these other sports then ? 

I'll type slowly, so you understand. Other sports have Play-Offs but teams aren't encouraged by rules which allow them to... er... cheat. They don't drop points and lose matches to... er... allow them to strengthen their team further into the season. Other sports have Play-Offs... and they also have regularity in which the best sides remain in the top league, not choosing to drop down at the drop of a hat.

Speedway isn't like other sports. Surely you know that?

In the Premier League in football, where is the Play-Off? They have them further down, but teams usually want to come up and it isn't a pretence like when speedway has tried promotion/relegation platy-offs.

Speedway is a different form of sport. In a way, it probably has less credit with non-speedway fans than at any time in the last 90 years.

Other sports would be annoyed if you compared it with those. It would be like saying I look like George Clooney. 

Edited by moxey63

2 hours ago, moxey63 said:

I'll type slowly, so you understand. Other sports have Play-Offs but teams aren't encouraged by rules which allow them to... er... cheat. They don't drop points and lose matches to... er... allow them to strengthen their team further into the season. Other sports have Play-Offs... and they also have regularity in which the best sides remain in the top league, not choosing to drop down at the drop of a hat.

In the Premier League in football, where is the Play-Off? They have them further down, but teams usually want to come up and it isn't a pretence like when speedway has tried promotion/relegation platy-offs.

Speedway is a different form of sport. In a way, it probably has less credit with non-speedway fans than at any time in the last 90 years.

Other sports would be annoyed if you compared it with those. It would be like saying I look like George Clooney. 

You don't need to   type slowly ..  You said  serious sports would not have  play offs, not how they are run them . ..   . it's was  your own words  .So as I keep asking you what are these other sports .. 

Edited by orion

3 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Several sports in the US over the past few years have started to see teams deliberately end their seasons the worst team in the league...

'Tanking' is the latest buzzword to describe what the teams are doing....

This then gives them one of the first draft picks for the next season, or the chance to pass up this opportunity and take several team improving players from a competitor and give them the pick instead, hence they write off one season to potentially improve the next..

Some even have written off several seasons to allow them to build up several of the better drafted players over a few years to help with longer term success..

However, the governing bodies of these sports are now discussing how best to deal legally with these teams suspected of 'tanking' as they feel that the integrity and credibility of their respective sports could be threatened by such antics, and are also acutely aware of possible impact to crowd numbers because of it..

British Speedway wouldn't take such action I would suggest as it's allowed to be a fundamental part of the sport..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, moxey63 said:

I'll type slowly, so you understand. Other sports have Play-Offs but teams aren't encouraged by rules which allow them to... er... cheat. They don't drop points and lose matches to... er... allow them to strengthen their team further into the season. 

Can you identify for us which play off teams deliberately lost matches early in the 2019 season and specifically which matches are you referring to ?

9 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Can you identify for us which play off teams deliberately lost matches early in the 2019 season and specifically which matches are you referring to ?

I didn't say in 2019. In fact, I couldn't name two teams in 2019!

Imagine it, if there would have been Play-Offs in Premiership football when Man City won the title by 20 points, and they'd lost in the Final by a dodgy penalty. Can understand why some sports don't even go there. VAR's bad enough.

11 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Imagine it, if there would have been Play-Offs in Premiership football when Man City won the title by 20 points, and they'd lost in the Final by a dodgy penalty. Can understand why some sports don't even go there. VAR's bad enough.

Just imagine a team winning every single game in a season, then losing in the final of the playoffs in the dying seconds. 

Nobody would watch such a sport would they. TV viewing figures would be awful.. Advertisers most certainly wouldn't be interested.

• Haha 1