Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
gustix

Speedway's future IMO

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Imagine it, if there would have been Play-Offs in Premiership football when Man City won the title by 20 points, and they'd lost in the Final by a dodgy penalty. Can understand why some sports don't even go there. VAR's bad enough.

? you say not to compare Football and Speedway ..then you do it  yourself ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Speedway is a different form of sport. In a way, it probably has less credit with non-speedway fans than at any time in the last 90 years.

By non-speedway fans, you mean people like yourself?

You're fooling yourself if you think that speedway even enters the mind of non-speedway fans. We are already aware that most non-speedway fans (certainly in the UK) haven't any idea what speedway is, so why would they worry about rules, points limits, guests, and general credibility?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, djr said:

In an ideal world , every Sport would like to operate in a single-use stadium and not have to share with  other sports. 

however if 2 or more Sports could use a stadium , it must make the finances better for everyone involved.

  I also cant see that it makes the viewing terrible , just a bit further away that's all.

And you have to sell that ‘but further away’ to fans. Today football is generally the top sport and yet you would want those fans out at a disadvantage to a lesser sport ? Why should they then pay good money for a poor view ? It just doesn’t work like that anymore. People expect a good stadium with a good view and a certain standard of facility nowadays like decent toilets

Doesn’t sound like a good business strategy to give potentially your main source of income the poor standards, when probably just down the road another club is offering something better

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iris123 said:

And you have to sell that ‘but further away’ to fans. Today football is generally the top sport and yet you would want those fans out at a disadvantage to a lesser sport ? Why should they then pay good money for a poor view ? It just doesn’t work like that anymore. People expect a good stadium with a good view and a certain standard of facility nowadays like decent toilets

Doesn’t sound like a good business strategy to give potentially your main source of income the poor standards, when probably just down the road another club is offering something better

Thing is, when we talk about the Shay in the 60's and 70's, I would think that the speedway attracted a lot more fans than the footy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chunky said:

Thing is, when we talk about the Shay in the 60's and 70's, I would think that the speedway attracted a lot more fans than the footy.

Yeah, but we aren’t talking about the 70s. It’s like comparing Wembley in the 1940s with today...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Yeah, but we aren’t talking about the 70s. It’s like comparing Wembley in the 1940s with today...

Well, I was referring to a couple of posts, not just yours.

It is true what you say about the expectations regarding stadiums. It really wasn't that long along that we people were content to stand on grass mounds and crappy concrete steps, with only corrugated iron sheets for cover. As was said, multi-use stadiums are a great idea financially, but there is virtually no way to ensure equal facilities (certainly viewing facilities) for the different sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trouble is who in their right mind would plan a multi use stadium with football and speedway. ? As said the viewing for your main market is poor. Then the way speedway goes who would make a plan for a sport that might run 2,3 or.4 years then disappear for a decade etc then make another shot comeback. Better to run with two stable sports that can better use the facilities. That is generally how football plan stadia now. As I said elsewhere Millwall planned for the New Dwn to be used for concerts etc which better fit a football stadium that a Motorsport. Football stadiums are generally in built up areas anyway and a Motorsport would meet problems with residents. Who wants extra planning problems ?

Football and Rugby or Hockey etc makes sense. Maybe horse racing and speedway more so. But I now see horse racing coming under scrutiny in the States by protesters. Just like Greyhounds are in the UK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, moxey63 said:

I didn't say in 2019. In fact, I couldn't name two teams in 2019!

In other words you can’t support your claim. Standard form for most of your posts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Just imagine a team winning every single game in a season, then losing in the final of the playoffs in the dying seconds. 

Nobody would watch such a sport would they. TV viewing figures would be awful.. Advertisers most certainly wouldn't be interested.

When has this happened?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, orion said:

? you say not to compare Football and Speedway ..then you do it  yourself ..

Thought I'd lower my standards to be on equal ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chunky said:

By non-speedway fans, you mean people like yourself?

You're fooling yourself if you think that speedway even enters the mind of non-speedway fans. We are already aware that most non-speedway fans (certainly in the UK) haven't any idea what speedway is, so why would they worry about rules, points limits, guests, and general credibility?

I am a speedway fan, just not the modern stuff. For example, I prefer the David Bowie stuff from the 70s than his 80s offering. Does that mean I can't like any of Mr Bowie's music? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How come it's only people who pay to watch current day speedway, and some who don't (good morning, chunky), who can have a say about the plight of the current speedway? Does it tell you perhaps that they're the last few on the boat letting in water, but they have buckets? They have little chance of rescuing it and will keep trying. Don't tell them it's a lost cause. They say you're the lost cause for abandoning the boat and are on shore.

Edited by moxey63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chunky said:

By non-speedway fans, you mean people like yourself?

You're fooling yourself if you think that speedway even enters the mind of non-speedway fans. We are already aware that most non-speedway fans (certainly in the UK) haven't any idea what speedway is, so why would they worry about rules, points limits, guests, and general credibility?

So, perhaps some ex-speedway fans gave up bothering because they couldn't keep up with the rules. How many were put off by the ridiculous Golden Double, like the 2006 Play-Off Final that made the sport look a laughing stock for anyone not defending it? Reading were the best team all season but were done by a ridiculous rule which punished them for actually wanting to win, and it allowed Peterborough to gain (approx) 14 extra points that Reading weren't in a position to. The current day speedway system is flawed. Mark Lemon at Belle Vue says you are punished for stating the season to well and winning matches, being top of the table. Now, please tell me, who on the terraces in today's speedway really knows which team is trying to win and which team is trying to lose, if you put Lemon's words into the equation? A lot of teams are like Popeye before he consumes the spinach.

VAR could do the same for football if they don't watch it. There you are, I've compared both again. 

Edited by moxey63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

I am a speedway fan, just not the modern stuff. For example, I prefer the David Bowie stuff from the 70s than his 80s offering. Does that mean I can't like any of Mr Bowie's music? 

I like the early Rolling Stones stuff, but wouldn’t call myself a Rolling Stones fan. Just like I used to watch Road Racing in the Barry Sheene days particularly the GB v USA Easter series, but wouldn’t consider myself a Road Racing fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I like the early Rolling Stones stuff, but wouldn’t call myself a Rolling Stones fan. Just like I used to watch Road Racing in the Barry Sheene days particularly the GB v USA Easter series, but wouldn’t consider myself a Road Racing fan

But because you're a speedway fan you'll put up with anything.  But for how long? And when you don't like the current form of speedway, do you walk away or keep in there, because you have spent most of your life following it and still like parts of its past. It would be like a divorce without seeing the kids and throwing away all the family photographs. You still have a connection. You will notice I don't comment on modern topics, like the league sections. I have no idea who's riding where this week or next. I feel I can contribute to where speedway is heading, after seeing where it's been, and why people may not be interested anymore (apart from the cult followers).

Edited by moxey63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy