British Speedway Forum

Speedway's future IMO

On 10/24/2019 at 5:08 PM, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

A thread that most likely was posted on this forum in 2001 and would have read the exact same word for word then as it does now, same posters, same posts.

Groundhog Day. 

How many Groundhog Days does speedway have left?

On 10/21/2019 at 4:15 PM, moxey63 said:

Last time I paid, Buxton 2013, the Airfence meeting. That was the one Ermolenko was in, all the old boys making a comeback to raise funds for Buxton's fence which Dean Felton helped arrange. No self-serving riders waiting for the last race so they could hop off onto the next flight out of here.

Last one entered for "free" was about 2006.  That was when the Reading team turned up at Belle Vue and looked to manipulate the match so they could have an easier team in the PO semis. Reading arrived top of the table and Belle Vue hammered them. Reading couldn't have cared less if they tried. Ian Thomas, Belle Vue manager at the time, took one fan into the bar to have it out with Jim Lynch, Reading manager, about how his side had robbed him of honest racing. I, personally, was glad I didn't pay for that one as well. Makes you question when a speedway race is actually a speedway race. But you'll say different. 

A personal question to you, BWitcher. When was the last time you worked for free?

On 10/21/2019 at 4:49 PM, moxey63 said:
FAO BWitcher

Here is the email (to Eddie Garvey, who put the Belle Vue  programme together) from 2007 to prove, to some, it was my decision to stop attending speedway even though I was getting in for "free." I was still contributing to the programme at the time and promised I would still do so, despite not attending.
It might just re-educate certain people that even "free" speedway isn't a pull for some of us. How filling a couple of pages each week and getting a complimentary ticket is "free" speedway,  I'll never know. 

Thu 23/08/2007 00:24
Eddie

I will probably give the rest of the season a miss. Just a bit disillusioned with speedway at the moment and haven't enjoyed a meeting all year, either at Belle Vue or on SKY. In fact, I've only been to half the matches this year - and it isn't because of BV's performances either. Hopefully, my interest will be rekindled in time for next year.

Best wishes
Alan 

Just feel a bit confused about your 'free' days...in one post you say last 'free' entry was at BV versus Reading in 2006...then you show email circa 2007 including a mention above it of getting in 'free' in 2007 ( and "been to half the matches this year").....just as I said it's a bit confusing.

Sadly I'm posting on a Saturday night (......unlike yourself I'm missing my former speedway fix.)

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

Just feel a bit confused about your 'free' days...in one post you say last 'free' entry was at BV versus Reading in 2006...then you show email circa 2007 including a mention above it of getting in 'free' in 2007 ( and "been to half the matches this year").....just as I said it's a bit confusing.

Sadly I'm posting on a Saturday night (......unlike yourself I'm missing my former speedway fix.)

Easily explained. The top email you've quoted states "about 2006" (third line down) 

The second quote you've posted is the actual email from 2007, that I posted 34 minutes after the first one you've quoted

I was a year off. Glad you were interested. It gave you something to do on a Saturday night, I guess.

I knew it was about 2006-07, I got my last "freebie."

Some people will go out of their way to prove someone wrong.  

Edited by moxey63

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Easily explained. The top email you've quoted states "about 2006" (third line down) 

The second quote you've posted is the actual email from 2007, that I posted 34 minutes after the first one you've quoted

I was a year off. Glad you were interested. It gave you something to do on a Saturday night, I guess.

I knew it was about 2006-07, I got my last "freebie."

Some people will go out of their way to prove someone wrong.  

With you its always pretty easy 

• Like 1

13 hours since the last post this thread is drying up a little time to start a new thread under another name for the same old sad ex speedway fans to go over and over the same old reasons why British speedway is crap these days.If you got fed up with speedway.then after all this time you must be getting sick of posting the same old crap over and over. Every new thread is like reading the last one for your own sake's please find something you enjoy doing and move on and leave a speedway forum to those who still have an interest in the sport.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, B.V 72 said:

13 hours since the last post this thread is drying up a little time to start a new thread under another name for the same old sad ex speedway fans to go over and over the same old reasons why British speedway is crap these days.If you got fed up with speedway.then after all this time you must be getting sick of posting the same old crap over and over. Every new thread is like reading the last one for your own sake's please find something you enjoy doing and move on and leave a speedway forum to those who still have an interest in the sport.

I call that a vigil.

3 hours ago, B.V 72 said:

Great post 

1 hour ago, BWitcher said:

It's called insanity.

I wouldn't be so sure.

I can see the insanity in fans who still happily follow a sport that is made up as it goes along.

Speedway is run by scrap metal merchants and used car salesmen.

No surprise it is, where it is.  

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, moxey63 said:

I wouldn't be so sure.

I can see the insanity in fans who still happily follow a sport that is made up as it goes along.

I think you are doing these trades a huge disservice. I would say it is more likely to be run by investment bankers, foreign exchange/money market dealers and that wholesome group of con merchants, the Estate Agents. All three have broadly the same ethics and could not give a fig about anyone else.

5 hours ago, moxey63 said:

I wouldn't be so sure.

Then leave it where it is, and go and find something else to whine about...

Is it REALLY insane that people get enjoyment out of something that you don't?

6 hours ago, moxey63 said:

I wouldn't be so sure.

What you say may well be true, but nothing close to being insane enough to consistently post on a forum about a sport you have no interest in.

15 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

What you say may well be true, but nothing close to being insane enough to consistently post on a forum about a sport you have no interest in.

Not strictly true. He must have "some" interest, as he keeps it on in the background...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, chunky said:

Not strictly true. He must have "some" interest, as he keeps it on in the background...

People like him wasting power are killing the world :)