British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SPD444

RELEGATION IS THE AIM

Following on from Somerset and now, apparently Poole, in what other sport do the participants seek to be relegated to a lower division than stay in the top division. What message does that send to T.V. and sponsors generally. The Grand Final is the SUPER BOWL of GB speedway.....really...what a complete bore fest that was. Without change this “sport” is dead.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

That’s what TV tried to do, Hence the play offs, we must have everything go down to the wire no matter how contrived.

Speedway is a sport, sometimes the wins will be big and not very interesting for the neutral which theoretically is what your tv audience should be.

38 minutes ago, orion said:

What do  want the final to be ? you want Swindon to make it close ? Maybe Man city in the fa cup final should beat Watford by less goals . brain dead post .

Thank you Orion, my concerns about teams preferring to be relegated and the message that sends to TV. and sponsors you chose to ignore, but to call me brain dead is insulting to me and something you should think about why you should feel compelled to say that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Thank you Orion, my concerns about teams preferring to be relegated and the message that sends to TV. and sponsors you chose to ignore, but to call me brain dead is insulting to me and something you should think about why you should feel compelled to say that.

You said about the final being a bore fest ..did you forget that bit ?  what on earth  has that got to do with your point about teams being relegated ?

These are two separate points. What does it say about our sport that teams choose to be relegated to a lower division. And the GRAN FINAL is boring. why is that related?

27 minutes ago, Pirate Nick said:

In my experience TV matches are rarely entertaining unless you’re own team is involved.

I have been watching the NFL on tv since 1985 and whilst every game has not been heart pounding every week it has never failed to entertain.

20 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Several reasons why teams request to drop..

With financial being the obvious one.

With the underlying reasons of there being absolutely no kudos by winning any Speedway title nor any attainment levels to aspire too from the lowest league to the top..

No disrespect but a Grand Final in Speedway (UK), is akin to two bald men fighting over a comb..

Therefore what difference does it make to the clubs what league they race in?

Hardly anyone cares who wins.

There is almost zero National coverage..

And there is no financial reward worth speaking of, in fact, as we see, successful clubs can actually lose money and go bust by winning!!

Therefore you might as well decide amongst yourselves where you want to compete, and at the end of the day you can watch pretty much the same set of riders anyway so no loss there..

As you say, it sends out all the wrong messages, but that's where the sport is in the UK, and I suppose the overall thoughts are better to have clubs still in existence than not..

An ever decreasing circle though isn't it?

What a superb Post mikebv. Well done - I endorse to the full what you say.

7 hours ago, SPD444 said:

These are two separate points. What does it say about our sport that teams choose to be relegated to a lower division. And the GRAN FINAL is boring. why is that related?

So what is point about the final then ? you want the teams to fix the racing to make it close please explain ..have never been any finals in sporting history than were not close and the fans never liked .I watched nfl superbowl finals before they have   been total crap ..

Teams wanted to ride in different leagues is hardly new, even when speedway was at its height certain teams have wanted to ride at a lower level .and drop out of  the top league . In poole  case its just s  Matt Ford having a big sulk because hes  running the club poorly and his sponsor went bust and lost in the semi final so he made a massive bluff so he can try get racing back on a Wednesday night .

I really enjoyed last night .biggest crowd outside in the uk outside the gp and thou not a good match for the neutral the Swindon fans love it and show how well a club can do at speedway if its ran well .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

An ever decreasing circle though isn't it?

Yes. And when the circle gets tighter and smaller it becomes a dot and no-one can see it. UK speedway's destiny.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SPD444 said:

Following on from Somerset and now, apparently Poole, in what other sport do the participants seek to be relegated to a lower division than stay in the top division. What message does that send to T.V. and sponsors generally. The Grand Final is the SUPER BOWL of GB speedway.....really...what a complete bore fest that was. Without change this “sport” is dead.

Orion is spot on, your post is a brain dead one, to put it mildly !

I am no fan of the Poole promotion at all, but it looks like Mr. Ford is cutting his cloth, accordingly....Would you prefer it if Poole simply closed down ?!

All teams can only beat what the opposition puts in front of them.....

Swindon rode brilliantly over two legs, to trounce Ipswich, they won the final in some style....It certain wasnt boring on the terraces !

Of course, your opinion would have been different had Belle Vue won the title, and maybe there is more than a touch of Sauvignon Sour Grapes in your post, as Swindon beat Belle Vue in the cup final too.

In every sport, in every season, there will be successful teams and not so successful teams, and you quite possibly dont understand the cyclical nature of sport.

• Like 3

I've only got one thing to say on the matter...HI HO SWINDON ROBINS!!! Double winners.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jeffster said:

Orion is spot on, your post is a brain dead one, to put it mildly !

I am no fan of the Poole promotion at all, but it looks like Mr. Ford is cutting his cloth, accordingly....Would you prefer it if Poole simply closed down ?!

All teams can only beat what the opposition puts in front of them.....

Swindon rode brilliantly over two legs, to trounce Ipswich, they won the final in some style....It certain wasnt boring on the terraces !

Of course, your opinion would have been different had Belle Vue won the title, and maybe there is more than a touch of Sauvignon Sour Grapes in your post, as Swindon beat Belle Vue in the cup final too.

In every sport, in every season, there will be successful teams and not so successful teams, and you quite possibly dont understand the cyclical nature of sport.

Uniquely. Speedway is possibly the least impacted Sport when it comes to 'blind partizanship' I would suggest..

Many of its die hard fan base are now Speedway fans first and club fans second in a lot of cases..

Not many (bar a rabid few), would have any sour grapes about their teams losing simply because the prizes don't warrant that level of emotional attachment or response..

You only have to look at the Aces fans Facebook pages when they failed to reach the play offs to see how many mentioned they would accept defeats given the great racing they get served up each meeting, with an overall general consensus that winning the 'top prize' doesn't mean that much anyway, and that long may the entertainment value on offer continue..

Obviously can't reply for SPD but I wouldn't think the Aces getting beat in the KO Cup or not reaching the play offs had any bearing in his post..