British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SPD444

RELEGATION IS THE AIM

My issue is how many other random teams are going to show up In  the top league only to scurry away a year or 2 later, I personally think fords big bluff is gonna get called, hes basically gone all in with j 9 suited and wants leverage to go back too a Wednesday.

• Like 1

We all are aware of the credibility issues in speedway. The way in which rules are ignored, interpreted differently in similar situations, brought in without understanding fully the implications and then ignored or revoked etc. We all want to see the support run professionally with sensible rules applied consistently and impartially. 

We can see that the way that the sport is run devalues the credibility of the competitions but I do not for one minute accept that winning the play offs or even the cup is regarded by most on the terraces as worthless. I doubt there are any Swindon supporters saying this morning that their victory is worth nothing or Ipswich supporters who weren't bothered whether they won or lost. At the beginning of every season we all discuss and comment on the strengths and weaknesses of the teams. Why? Because we all want our team to win the trophies.

With regard to the argument that you see basically the same riders in the CL as in the PL there can be no dispute that team strengths in the CL are significantly lower. In the PL teams have riders who do not race in the CL, Doyle, Fricke, Holder, Lambert etc., often 3 other riders who are CL no. 1's, a CL heat leader and CL second strings at reserve. The odds are that any team built to CL standards would languish adrift at the bottom of the PL.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, SPD444 said:

I have been watching the NFL on tv since 1985 and whilst every game has not been heart pounding every week it has never failed to entertain.

Have tried watching nfl but it looks like headless chickins running around, give me rugby  league any day 

• Like 4

On 10/18/2019 at 4:52 AM, SPD444 said:

Following on from Somerset and now, apparently Poole, in what other sport do the participants seek to be relegated to a lower division than stay in the top division. What message does that send to T.V. and sponsors generally. The Grand Final is the SUPER BOWL of GB speedway.....really...what a complete bore fest that was. Without change this “sport” is dead.

i posted similar a couple of years or so  back....and was told an american sport..maybe it was baseball not sure now..

On 10/18/2019 at 9:50 AM, mikebv said:

Many of its die hard fan base are now Speedway fans first and club fans second in a lot of cases.

Good point. Swindon are very much my team but I've a lot of time for Wolves and Belle Vue. Only club I dislike are Poole. More and more I find myself following specific riders regardless of who they turn out for. 

So not only the most successful club in the modern era but also for many the club thagt represents the model for how speedway so be run drops down a league. 

This after one poor season financially and one poor season on track by their high standards. 

What's gone wrong?

Well quite clearly winning trophy after trophy does not bring massive financial reward that allows the club to ride out one bad season. 

The attitude of Poole over the past few years of building up a asset base and win at all costs has quite clearly failed. 

Rider assets are worthless under employment law even in the mega bucks Polish league this practice doesn't happen. 

How many times have Poole bullied other teams to run at their level even when it's clear that UK speedway couldn't sustain it. 

It's a shame to see them drop down however it does give me a smug grin. 

On 10/17/2019 at 10:52 PM, SPD444 said:

Following on from Somerset and now, apparently Poole, in what other sport do the participants seek to be relegated to a lower division than stay in the top division. What message does that send to T.V. and sponsors generally. The Grand Final is the SUPER BOWL of GB speedway.....really...what a complete bore fest that was. Without change this “sport” is dead.

Not a case of relegation being the aim. Survival is the aim. Just happens to be that relegation is the way to survive. 

• Like 2

If Poole decide to drop down a  division then  the Premiership is finished. Lets be honest ,this year how credible is a top division with 7 teams, with 4 of those teams making a play off.  You need a 10 team league if you are to have a play off system. No Poole ? 6 teams ? . Maybe Buster can buy a couple more teams up to make it do-able . With the loss of Stoke and maybe Cradley Heath from the National League Surely a 2 League structure beckons in Britain .

Edited by iwright71
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 6:39 AM, mikebv said:

Several reasons why teams request to drop..

With financial being the obvious one.

With the underlying reasons of there being absolutely no kudos by winning any Speedway title nor any attainment levels to aspire too from the lowest league to the top..

No disrespect but a Grand Final in Speedway (UK), is akin to two bald men fighting over a comb..

Therefore what difference does it make to the clubs what league they race in?

Hardly anyone cares who wins.

There is almost zero National coverage..

And there is no financial reward worth speaking of, in fact, as we see, successful clubs can actually lose money and go bust by winning!!

Therefore you might as well decide amongst yourselves where you want to compete, and at the end of the day you can watch pretty much the same set of riders anyway so no loss there..

As you say, it sends out all the wrong messages, but that's where the sport is in the UK, and I suppose the overall thoughts are better to have clubs still in existence than not..

An ever decreasing circle though isn't it?

Classic case was Workington in 2018, won every trophy but went bust but in reality the writing was on the wall for the previous few seasons.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 11:39 PM, marko said:

Speedway is a sport

It's a sport as in 1 rider competes to beat another... in every other aspect it is far from a sport

On 10/18/2019 at 12:13 AM, SPD444 said:

I have been watching the NFL on tv since 1985 and whilst every game has not been heart pounding every week it has never failed to entertain.

I don't know about that. I was at Wembley last week and the Bungles were awful. In fact the Buccs were just as bad at Totteringham but some how were still in the game towards the final whistle! 

I've been to most of the London games and not many have set the pulse racing.  I am awaiting the Cheeseheads to finally arrive in London although I have seen them at Lambeau Field. 

I am guessing there is a cap on what promoters pay riders in the PL.

At least that’s what has been suggested so any continued success has been bought by the promoter from sponsorship or his own business.

Cradley Heath dominated speedway once with a glitterati team and then disappeared.

It is clear that the same is happening to Poole unfortunately.

How many medals are given out in the League  finals   and who gets them    Swindon had 13 riders ride for them during 2019  And do riders get them for just guesting for     

finalist and runners up