British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, lewy said:

Yes I agree, I,m sure the promotion will be doing their absolute best to put a competitive team together but definitely at a dis advantage being accepted so late 

Might be ok for next year tho.

On 2/7/2021 at 8:55 AM, screm said:

Giving the current situation and the vast majority of riders who are available already snapped up Plymouth might find things a bit harder than normal actually putting together a competitive team.

They are doing brilliantly so far!

• Like 2

Cue generic and overly recycled joke about how someone thinks the next signing will be Jeremy Doncaster or some other old, wrinkly, legend of the sport...

• Haha 1

R.I.P Barry Simpson +

Taken off Barry's Facebook page:

I would just like to let all of Barry's friends know that Barry sadly passed away on Wednesday 17th February, peacefully in his sleep. Many of you will know that Barry was diagnosed with MND in March 2020, but now he is at peace from this cruel disease. Thank you to everyone for their kind words and support over the last year. Ali and family.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, StevePark said:

R.I.P Barry Simpson +

Taken off Barry's Facebook page:

I would just like to let all of Barry's friends know that Barry sadly passed away on Wednesday 17th February, peacefully in his sleep. Many of you will know that Barry was diagnosed with MND in March 2020, but now he is at peace from this cruel disease. Thank you to everyone for their kind words and support over the last year. Ali and family.

Very sad news as Barry will be a loss to speedway in the north east. He supported many, many riders of all abilities in speedway, grass track and moto x through his business supplying fuel and oil and he was a stalwart start Marshall at Redcar and occasionally Newcastle as well as doing two Grand Prix’s in his time.

Barry was a smashing fella and he will be sadly missed around the tracks all over Europe.

My condolences to his partner and the family. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

i bet that was a special time of his life doing grand prix - and shows how well thought of he was, proper speedway person.

• Like 1

Barry was a fair junior rider in his day, doing a couple of seasons in the old Scottish Junior League, making their all-star team that raced against the Anglia Junior League around 1979/80 time

• Like 3

17 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Barry was a fair junior rider in his day, doing a couple of seasons in the old Scottish Junior League, making their all-star team that raced against the Anglia Junior League around 1979/80 time

And also I believe a stalwart of the group of riders  that regularly rode at Ken Marshall's Felton training track. 

The best thing Redcar could do team wise right now, if they're struggling for a new 6.60 rider after Lewis Bridger turned them down would be to drop Jordan Jenkins and bring in a 3 star rider, meaning they only have 5.60 to fill. Don't think they'd do that to Jordan though, they don't seem like the club to do things like that. The team could look like this though, which is a lot strong that what may be in reality (Unless they pull a rabbit out the hat)

1 Charles Wright © 9.35
3 Jordan Stewart 5.74
4 Kasper Andersen 4.86
5 Michael Palm Toft 8.18
6 Anders Rowe 4.27
7 Ryan Kinsley ***

Total: 32.40 (5.60 left)

Leaving options such as:

James Shanes (5.18)

Valentin Grobauer (5.38)

Zach Wajtknecht (5.14) - Assuming he's making a comeback?

Connor Mountain (4.61)

Gives the team a much stronger look to it, having better reserves and not as many spare points left over in the end? As I say though, don't see Redcar leaving Jordan high and dry, but interesting to see what could have been. I think Tom Perry also fits within the rules as a 3 star rider, so he in another option instead of Ryan?

It's not all doom and gloom like some people think it may be, saying there's no options to make a strong team.

Edited by Dandelion

Under the limit or not i would love to see Connor Mountain get a place and certainly think he could do a very good job in the 1-5. Far too good a rider to not have a CL berth this season.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dandelion said:

The best thing Redcar could do team wise right now, if they're struggling for a new 6.60 rider after Lewis Bridger turned them down would be to drop Jordan Jenkins and bring in a 3 star rider, meaning they only have 5.60 to fill. Don't think they'd do that to Jordan though, they don't seem like the club to do things like that. The team could look like this though, which is a lot strong that what may be in reality (Unless they pull a rabbit out the hat)

1 Charles Wright © 9.35
3 Jordan Stewart 5.74
4 Kasper Andersen 4.86
5 Michael Palm Toft 8.18
6 Anders Rowe 4.27
7 Ryan Kinsley ***

Total: 32.40 (5.60 left)

Leaving options such as:

James Shanes (5.18)

Valentin Grobauer (5.38)

Connor Mountain (4.61)

Gives the team a much stronger look to it, having better reserves and not as many spare points left over in the end? As I say though, don't see Redcar leaving Jordan high and dry, but interesting to see what could have been. I think Tom Perry also fits within the rules as a 3 star rider, so he in another option instead of Ryan?

It's not all doom and gloom like some people think it may be, saying there's no options to make a strong team.

So instead of looking for an elusive top second string, sign two weak ones instead.
Great advice!

All those options are already signed up or not riding and Tom Perry has never got beyond a 3 pointer in years.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Leaving options such as:

James Shanes (5.18)

Valentin Grobauer (5.38)

Connor Mountain (4.61)

First two signed for Birmingham.

10 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

So instead of looking for an elusive top second string, sign two weak ones instead.
Great advice!

All those options are already signed up or not riding and Tom Perry has never got beyond a 3 pointer in years.

There aren't many top second strings left, and the ones I listed are decent enough riders in their own rights... Someone like Ryan Kinsley strengthens the reserves more, so it's just a case of signing the second string Redcar need and strengthen at reserve instead... There are no 6.60 riders about!! So the extra point may as well be used elsewhere in the team.

None of the riders I listed had been signed up at the time of my post? :blink:

10 hours ago, *JJ said:

First two signed for Birmingham.

They have now, yes

• Haha 1