British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, Gazc said:

With the Scottish Government banning all gatherings and sporting and social events when crowds exceed 500 people for the foreseeable , it looks like our season wont commence on the 11th April after all.

Edinburgh should be fine.

The SG always look after Edinburgh Gazc. It is however only advisory.

Ironic we could go to Berwick on April 4 and Somerset on the 22nd, but have to cancel going to Armadale on the 10th and Ashfield on the 11th and 24th.

By design, the warped mentality of the SG often means we have to be different to the UK.

I'd expect Berwick away to be a very big crowd with it being our first meeting and their first home meeting, with the track changes creating plenty of interest.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gazc said:

With the Scottish Government banning all gatherings and sporting and social events when crowds exceed 500 people for the foreseeable , it looks like our season wont commence on the 11th April after all.

Edinburgh should be fine.

Like it but joking apart any club with foreign riders not already in the country will be stuffed as Europe goes into lock down... the season might not start till June or July at this rate...

Regards 

THJ 

#covid19sucks 

8 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Like it but joking apart any club with foreign riders not already in the country will be stuffed as Europe goes into lock down... the season might not start till June or July at this rate...

Regards 

THJ 

#covid19sucks 

Time to give British talent a go.. you reckon big man

42 minutes ago, pienpeesman said:

Time to give British talent a go.. you reckon big man

To be fair this Covid 19 is gonna cause chaos to the sport full stop I think... normally I'm pot half full but this bug will definitely cause some bother...

The folks who don't like to see guest riders won't be very happy...

Regards 

THJ 

Think we will be lucky to see any speedway this year

On 3/13/2020 at 8:59 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ 

#covid19sucks 

Doesn't look like I was far away with this prediction with the BSPA announcing that "With the latest information from the government stating high risk groups of people should stay at home for 12 weeks, it is unlikely that that there will be any British Speedway events taking place before June 15, at least"

The big worry for me is the last two words of "at least" as the realisation that not only will this virus be around for longer than folks are predicting but the other issue what no one seems to have mentioned yet is once we have got on top of this outbreak how the hell will we switch everything back on? Will Boris just suddenly announce "that's it we have it sorted open the pubs"? Personally I don't think so... it will take weeks and possibly a couple of month or more the get things back to as near normal as possible once we have this situation under control and that's if we don't have the predicted possibility of a resurgence of cases once these measures are relaxed. 

Is Speedway (clubs in particular and possibly riders) ready and able to just hit the ground running and start a new season from fresh in the middle of June?  and when would be the time to call it quits from the Championship clubs perspective and write the season off because I am sure that must now be in the back of promoters minds.

As much as I don't want Speedway not to run this season there must be a cut off date when the BSPA say its just not feasible. However if that is the case what are the options? Could the season be extended to the end of November (obviously weather permitting) Would there be any value in running a couple of mini leagues 6 teams north and 6 south with 5 home & 5 away fixtures in the group and the top two of each league play across each other so 2nd north vs Top south and vice versa with the two winners playing for the championship title or if there is a shortage of riders due to travel restrictions still being in place what about running a series of four team tournaments on a league basis or as a last resort a Championship GP type series of individual events...

Tough times and it may need some creative thinking if we are to get some Speedway this year...

Regards
THJ

Another quick edit "The British Speedway Promoters Ltd (formerly British Speedway Promoters Association) made the announcement" Must get used to calling them them the BSPL rather than the BSPA.... sorry

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Would there be any value in running a couple of mini leagues 6 teams north and 6 south with 5 home & 5 away fixtures in the group and the top two of each league play across each other so 2nd north vs Top south and vice versa with the two winners playing for the championship title or if there is a shortage of riders due to travel restrictions still being in place what about running a series of four team tournaments on a league basis or as a last resort a Championship GP type series of individual events...

I suspect that may be the most we can salvage from this 'season', and I think, all things considered, that would be considered agreeable albeit far from perfect.

Timing has to be good too in terms of society getting back to normal, I'd hope and expect there will be a strong demand for entertainment/sport - speedway included - when that time arrives, clubs could yet benefit in revenue terms were crowd levels above average and as outgoings would be greatly reduced compared to a full season - silver lining? 

• Like 1

Documentary '' in the red'' being screened in full.

Tomorrow evening @ 7pm on YouTube.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Documentary '' in the red'' being screened in full.

Tomorrow evening @ 7pm on YouTube.

What's this? A docu about Glasgow?

32 minutes ago, JanAndersen said:

What's this? A docu about Glasgow?

Correct, shows you how to spend loads of money and no win anything. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Correct, shows you how to spend loads of money and no win anything. :D

Once a tool always a tool.

And i am being kind.